Is Fairbanks worth it?

eglingirl

We had planned a cruise on Princess that did not include Fairbanks. The couple we are going with desire to see Fairbanks which means cruising on Celebrity. In your all's opinion, is Fairbanks worth seeing? If so, is the riverboat cruise worth taking? Understand each cruise line offers different ports, amenities, etc., but for an Alaskan cruise would you choose Celebrity or Princess?

In your all's opinion, is Fairbanks worth seeing? If so, is the riverboat cruise worth taking?

"Worth" is such a subjective thing. Here's MY thoughts having been there in early June this year.

The riverboat and Athabaskan village in Fairbanks were educational and we enjoyed them. Same for the Gold Dredge, it was interesting and educational. On our own the next day we also visited the town of North Pole, Chena Hot Springs (though it reminded us of the movie Cocoon), hiked part of the Angel Rocks trail, and visited the UAF Museum of the North.

In addition it was nice to see the differences in the interior vs. the coast. So yes, we felt it was worth going to Fairbanks. Whether the same applies to you isn't something anyone else can really assess.

Now with that said, you don't mention how visiting Fairbanks affects your ability to see/do other things. For example while we enjoyed Fairbanks, if we had to chose that or two nights in Denali we'd drop Fairbanks in a heartbeat. Others may choose differently.

Understand each cruise line offers different ports, amenities, etc., but for an Alaskan cruise would you choose Celebrity or Princess?

I would choose whichever line had the itinerary that best fit my goals. Particularly on an Alaskan cruise I viewed the ship itself as secondary to visiting the places I want to go for the times/duration that'd allow me to do the things I wanted to do.

Edited by gpb11

We had planned a cruise on Princess that did not include Fairbanks. The couple we are going with desire to see Fairbanks which means cruising on Celebrity. In your all's opinion, is Fairbanks worth seeing? If so, is the riverboat cruise worth taking? Understand each cruise line offers different ports, amenities, etc., but for an Alaskan cruise would you choose Celebrity or Princess?

We enjoyed Fairbanks when we were there in 2003(?). I grew up on the Ohio river so the riverboat ride reminded me of our elementary school field trips; gold panning reminded me of college chemistry class. We loved our time outside of the organized tour -- we stayed some extra time, rented a car, and saw the museum at the University, went to the large animal research center (baby musk ox are so cute!!!!), ate breakfast at The Cookie Jar (best cinnamon french toast ever), and visited the art galleries downtown (didn't buy anything).

The downside about Fairbanks is that the flight home takes SO long!

Re Celebrity vs. Princess: Pick whichever line has the itinerary and price that you want.

With your question, you must be asking about cruisetours? All the cruise lines have tours that start or end in Fairbanks. Overall, IF you are just doing the cruisetour- I find the tours, see very little of Fairbanks. Note above, the enjoyment gotten from extra independent touring days. it depends on YOU. Overall, cruise tours- are plan lacking in my opinion. NONE have enough time anywhere. Group point to point travel sees the least. I always advocate for adding on days in Fairbanks. There is so much to see and do. http://www.explorefairbanks.com There is no point in going anywhere, if you don't do "something" when you get there. Thinking just a road trip is enough- absolutely not. :)

Fairbanks is superb as a jumping off point for Arctic adventures, highlights are getting to Deadhorse, Barrow for extended days, cargo flights etc.

Lots of things to do in and around Fairbanks. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Celebrity goes to Glacier Bay, if that's important.

we just drove past Fairbanks. :(

Must have been your choice?

Everyone has to determine- what is a priority for them. It can be a significant advantage to spend time there, if of interest. Plenty to see and do as already mentioned.

We live in Fbx. I've been on the riverboat tour and think it hits many of the visitor interests. It's a little contrived, but I assume all "highlight" tours are. Don't know that I'd do it again, but it was fun once.

I'd suggest going to the UAF museum if you have time as well.

Many visitors go to Chena Hot Springs and seem to enjoy it, although personally I limit my visits to the winter when it's cold outside.

Personally I think a drive up the Dalton is a don't miss; between Coldfoot and Galbraith Lake are absolutely stunning, and unlike anything else most people ever see. Does take three days though.

Generally, if you are renting a car and wish venture more than 60 miles or so, watch your car rental; most companies won't allow use on gravel roads. Search "Dalton Highway car rental" for those that will.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have stayed in Fairbanks the last 3 times we've gone to AK. We found interesting things to do each time, mostly what has been mentioned on this thread. On our first trip we took a day trip to Coldfoot (north of the Arctic Circle). We flew up in a small plane following the pipeline then returned to Fairbanks by van on the Dalton Hwy. There were several other people in the van. Some of them had flown up the day before and spent the night in hopes of seeing the aurora. It was a very interesting trip with lots of stops. We had dinner at a restaurant on the shore of the Yukon River--delicious food. We learned some fascinating things about the pipeline, picked wild blueberries, met a family who sort of lives off the grid, learned the Dalton Hwy "rules of the road," so many interesting things in one day. I highly recommend this trip if it fits in your schedule and budget.

We visited Fairbanks while on a Princess cruise tour a couple years ago. I was originally going to say that it wasn't worth the extra time to visit it on a cruise tour. Then I went back to my review, which is linked to in my signature, and realized how much we actually did in the very short time we were there. Some of the stuff is a bit hokey, but it did give a different taste of Alaska that we did enjoy.

After visiting Denali, everything else was less impressive; plus with Fairbanks being the last stop of our vacation, we had seen quite a bit already, many of the tour guide stories were repetitive and we were ready to get home. As many will tell you, the best way to tour is probably to just rent a car and stay as long as you want in different places. The roads were very good in Alaska and if I do another land tour there, that is what I will do. It would have been nice to be able to spend more time in every place the tour stopped, especially Denali. A ship land tour is less hassle in some ways, especially the driving part. But the stress of having to adapt your schedule to when the bus leaves does take away from the beautiful Alaska experience.

Fairbanks has a bunch of interesting things within town - the Museum of the North and the car museum are 2 examples. It also provides access to points north which is one of the best things about the town. The ice carnival in the winter is also great but that will not help those of you who only cruise.

DON