Dividers between balconies on the Regal

lovevacadays

My cousins and my niece and I have adjoining cabins on Dolphin Deck. They are the extended balcony cabins. I just looked at Princess' website to see if I could find my answer but couldn't tell. Does anyone know if the divider between balcony cabins can be opened up so we have one large balcony?

My cousins and my niece and I have adjoining cabins on Dolphin Deck. They are the extended balcony cabins. I just looked at Princess' website to see if I could find my answer but couldn't tell. Does anyone know if the divider between balcony cabins can be opened up so we have one large balcony?

If the cabins do not fall between one of the firewalls, then yes, odds are (unless lock/hinges are rusted/broken) that your cabin attendant may be able to open the little door.

By little, I mean the whole side does not open like on other lines.

9416593029_d330edd2d7_z.jpg

Are you talking about balconies in the center "bump out" section? The photo above is of the aft deluxe balcony cabin balconies. On the side balconies the partition door opens from the railing and swings towards the balcony door. The partition door is at least 30" wide. Only on the Pacific, Sun, Sea and Dawn are there no doors in the partitions at the firewalls. There are doors in the partitions at the fire walls on the Coral/Island, Grand class and Royal class ships.

Are you talking about balconies in the center "bump out" section? The photo above is of the aft deluxe balcony cabin balconies. On the side balconies the partition door opens from the railing and swings towards the balcony door. The partition door is at least 30" wide. Only on the Pacific, Sun, Sea and Dawn are there no doors in the partitions at the firewalls. There are doors in the partitions at the fire walls on the Coral/Island, Grand class and Royal class ships.

While the dividers between balconies in two different fire zones are openable, I don't believe any ship will allow them to be opened for passenger use. The ability to open balcony dividers was mandated by SOLAS after the Star Princess fire to allow fire teams to access from one balcony to another. They will also be opened to allow the deck crew to wash the balconies on turn around day, but especially Princess would be very mindful of opening a divider that would breach a fire zone boundary.

While the dividers between balconies in two different fire zones are openable, I don't believe any ship will allow them to be opened for passenger use. The ability to open balcony dividers was mandated by SOLAS after the Star Princess fire to allow fire teams to access from one balcony to another. They will also be opened to allow the deck crew to wash the balconies on turn around day, but especially Princess would be very mindful of opening a divider that would breach a fire zone boundary.
You may very well be correct about SOLAS mandating the ability to open balcony dividers to allow fired teams access from one balcony to another and you are definitely correct about all balcony dividers being open at some times for cleaning. However, the dividers at the firewall boundary on the Coral/Island, Grand class and Royal class are the same as all others and there is about six inches open between the bottom of the divider and the deck and at least two feet open between the top of the divider and the deck above. I must admit that we were in a cabin at the fire zone boundary and I didn't ask if they would open the door. I do know that the doors are there.

You may very well be correct about SOLAS mandating the ability to open balcony dividers to allow fired teams access from one balcony to another and you are definitely correct about all balcony dividers being open at some times for cleaning. However, the dividers at the firewall boundary on the Coral/Island, Grand class and Royal class are the same as all others and there is about six inches open between the bottom of the divider and the deck and at least two feet open between the top of the divider and the deck above. I must admit that we were in a cabin at the fire zone boundary and I didn't ask if they would open the door. I do know that the doors are there.

While there are gaps around the dividers, they still cover 80% or so of the area between balconies, and therefore act as windbreaks to limit the spread of fire. The dividers are required to be made from materials that will not burn, but only smolder even if subject to intense direct flame.

Does anyone know if the divider between balcony cabins can be opened up so we have one large balcony?

If the divider between your cabins can be opened, it will open in the direction of the aft cabin. The door may partially block balcony access through the aft cabin's slider. The direction the slider opens will determine whether the door blocks access...poor design IMHO.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

If the divider between your cabins can be opened, it will open in the direction of the aft cabin. The door may partially block balcony access through the aft cabin's slider. The direction the slider opens will determine whether the door blocks access...poor design IMHO.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

When you realize that the opening of the dividers was not intended for use by passengers, it isn't such a poor design.

We just recently returned from a cruise on the Royal Princess. Our cabin steward open the balcony divider for us. On the Royal it folded right back against the cabin wall. On the Island we asked the divider to be opened also. It basically looked like the previous photo.

We just recently returned from a cruise on the Royal Princess. Our cabin steward open the balcony divider for us. On the Royal it folded right back against the cabin wall. On the Island we asked the divider to be opened also. It basically looked like the previous photo.

Perfect. Just the info I was looking for. Thanks.