Latest from the National Hurricane Center

winddawn

The National Hurricane Center is tracking 2 systems. It looks like it could be unsettled in both the eastern and western Caribbean for the next week or so. They say the chance for tropical cyclone formation will increase once the wave reaches the western Caribbean in a couple of days--formation chance in the next 5 days is rated high at 70%. (hover your mouse over the red cone for details)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php

I guess we'll have to stay tuned to see if Carnival alters any itineraries as the week progresses.

Would you rearrange your ship lineup off horizontal to more vertical? Your posts causes us to scroll back and forth to read things.

Unless you enjoy the things you can choose to turn off signatures. It makes threads much easier to navigate when they are turned off.

Looks like some rain is coming to the Yucatan - that's about all this shows. I'll be in Playa Del Carmen for the next 2 weeks, so hopefully it'll just be one day of bad weather.

I think I'd rather be on land than on a ship doing the western itinerary though.

Nooooo!!! Sailing Aug 6! No no no hurricanes allowed. Just No. :mad:

Oh no! We are sailing on August 6 on the Paradise! I wonder where the alternative ports will be? Wahhhhhhhh! We were going to visit friends in Grand Cayman. I wonder how rough it will be? I will have a very seasick prone daughter with me!

Oh no! We are sailing on August 6 on the Paradise! I wonder where the alternative ports will be? Wahhhhhhhh! We were going to visit friends in Grand Cayman. I wonder how rough it will be? I will have a very seasick prone daughter with me!

If you are sailing Aug 6, you get to the Caymans after the rain has passed through that area.

Nooooo!!! Sailing Aug 6! No no no hurricanes allowed. Just No. :mad:

I think if there is any good news in this it is that it doesn't look like the U.S. mainland will be affected, so getting on a ship should not be a problem. So at least the fun can proceed. It does seem more likely that itineraries might change, like Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Progresso (no big loss there-lol), Roatan, Belize. And sometimes they just rearrange the days you call at a port to dock on better weather days. Grand Cayman may be most at risk since it is a tender port.

Or we could just watch Micah\'s Grandad's weather forecast. ;-)

"A STRONG TROPICAL WAVE...POSSIBLY A TROPICAL

CYCLONE...IS FORECAST TO MOVE ACROSS BAY OF CAMPECHE THU."

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIAOFFNT4.shtml

Edited by winddawn

It is what it is. We deal with this every year in south Florida. June-October, rarely November. We've dodged the bullet now for 10 years since Wilma in 2005. Who knows what's going to happen!

September / October can be the worst months. Otherwise, you spend your money, roll your dice and deal with the outcome.

If you sail during hurricane season, and I am NOT saying you shouldn't, this is what you should prepare for.

We are just off the Miracl, and our itinerary was flipped for Frank. Was supposed to be LA-Sea-Cabo-Maz-Pv-sea,sea,-LA. Just did it in reverse with PV first. Passing Cabo on sea day 2 everything looked nice there. We had a 7am to 2pm Cabo stop instead of the 10am to 6pm.

Departing on Dream today headed to Key West and Bahamas. Hopefully the system stays south of us. A little worried at this point.

Best wishes flowergirl21 for smooth sailing! I'd say Bahamas and Key West are better bets than farther south. That system is moving westward farther south than where you're going, and I would think having Cuba in between you and the storm will help keep the swells down.

Have a great cruise!

I have a cruise to Alaska in 2 weeks so no worries of Hurricane there but i never cruise the Caribbean during this time of year i guess some people don't have no other choice when to take vacations.

We cruise every year first week of Oct as it is a good time weatherwise and due to people's worries about hurricanes prices are generally pretty cheap.

If a hurricane goes one way the ship will go the other so no worries.