NCL Sun Cozumel Call Canceled

Bourmatnov

Ok, if something horrible happens and we are left with no ports to go to, will they let us cancel then without penalty? I refuse to pay over $1100 to go nowhere for 7 days!

Look at it this way.

$1100 divided by 7 days, full board with entertainment, being waited on hand and foot and a different view out of the window every day. You would be hard pressed to get a hotel on full board for that money and even if you did and it rained all day every day, you are unlikely to see further than the hotel bar..

or...

You could spend the 7 days back at work slogging over a desk...

hmmmm...sorry but I know which I would choose to do, and it ain't stopping at home.

Well, considering I get very limited time off at work, the fact that I'm driving over 12 hours to get to the port, and with the cost of gas, etc. it is not worth it to me to go nowhere. I didn't spend $200 on passports to not get to use them..and I'm sorry, but I'm only 24 and I can't just spend that kind of money any time I want to. I know that ports aren't guaranteed, but I expect to go SOMEWHERE. If they aren't going to go anywhere, I don't want to waste my time and money to do it. And, after all is said and done, its going to cost about $2500 or more for the cruise, I can go somewhere else and actually see a different country for that. I don't understand the mentality of sticking up for a business that could take your money and give you nothing for it. Exactly why this isn't my favorite board..too many rude people.

Off NCL website..

Norwegian Sun (Houston departure/7-day) – Until further notice, Norwegian Sun will sail a modified itinerary spending Monday and Tuesday at sea, calling into Belize City, Belize on Wednesday and Roatan, Honduras on Thursday and spending Friday and Saturday at sea returning to the Port of Houston on Sunday.[/Quote]

Ok, if something horrible happens and we are left with no ports to go to, will they let us cancel then without penalty? I refuse to pay over $1100 to go nowhere for 7 days!

Hi Jfultz

Don't worry - if something happens to Roatan and/or Belize - NCL would come up with something. Maybe Grand Caymen, Progresso, and Vera Cruz or Jamaica, Grand Caymen, and Progresso. I am also very unhappy with the 4 days at sea - I can't believe they can't come up with another port - maybe they will.

I think we are all watching Beta and Gamma (I feel like I am back in college) very closely. At this time I am sure we all want the answers to what you are worried about. We will have to wait and see if either really hits. If so and there are no other ports I am sure NCL will compensate in some manner. Hopefully they will just change the itinerary as has been mentioned and head to Jamaca. As for refusing to pay $1100 to go nowhere, I am not sure you will have any choice, but let's hope NCL has a back up plan. I think we all have to realize this has been a year like no other for all of us. r

NMnita

Not trying to be smart....

This whole thread is the main reason why I won't cruise during hurricane season. I typically avoid cruises from July - October. Too much of a risk if you ask me.

It has been reported that hurricane activity is steadily increasing in the Atlantic region. This year should be a good indication of that.

I just plan my cruise to minimize any threat of a hurricane, tropical storm/depression or even a noreaster. Yes I know weather and nature are unpredictable and anything can happen at anytime and anywhere. I just attempt to minimize the risk of any such tropical storm/depression or hurricane by not traveling during peak period.

IMHO...if you travel during peak hurricane season than plan for the absolute worse and don't get too upset if ports or worse your cruise is cancelled.

There are more important things in life to get mad over (i.e. chair hogs and smuggled liquor :rolleyes: )

Not trying to be smart....

This whole thread is the main reason why I won't cruise during hurricane season. I typically avoid cruises from July - October. Too much of a risk if you ask me.

It has been reported that hurricane activity is steadily increasing in the Atlantic region. This year should be a good indication of that.

I just plan my cruise to minimize any threat of a hurricane, tropical storm/depression or even a noreaster. Yes I know weather and nature are unpredictable and anything can happen at anytime and anywhere. I just attempt to minimize the risk of any such tropical storm/depression or hurricane by not traveling during peak period.

IMHO...if you travel during peak hurricane season than plan for the absolute worse and don't get too upset if ports or worse your cruise is cancelled.

There are more important things in life to get mad over (i.e. chair hogs and smuggled liquor :rolleyes: )

Well said KarlaC!

Well, we are actually cruising in December, which is after hurricane season, but our cruise is still affected, as are many after ours because Cozumel and Cancun will take months, if not over a year to rebuild.

And then there is New Orleans - we should be partying on Bourbon Street right now - we leave for Houston in the morning - we would cancel if we could - too late now

I live in Veracruz, and do tour guide work for some of the shore excursions.

I just now saw the Norwegian Line decided not to come back to Veracruz. The Norwegian Sun and the Norwegian Dream came to Veracruz last week and the week before. In fact I had one of the shore excursion executives on my tour of the pyramids at Cempoala and Antigua Veracruz. They were seriously evaluating us here in Veracruz.

I thought it was a great tour with a performance of the Voladores of Papantla at the pyramids, and a stroll down KM 0 of the Camino Real which was the Royal Highway that for 300 years reached San Francisco, CA and Santa Fe, NM. Antigua must be one of the most laid back towns in Latin America.

The passengers told me they loved the excursion and told me many times, "I never knew that!". And the NCL rep later told me she really enjoyed the trip and wanted to come back.

So, I guess we flunked the test here in Veracruz for NCL and lost out to Roatan and Belize City which I don´t think have the charm of Veracruz.

Right now the Elation will be making a cruise a week to Veracruz and we are looking forward to them coming while the piers are being rebuilt in Cozumel. After that I will once again have Veracruz all to myself!

John

As far as the change from new orleans to houston - EVERYONE had ample chance to cancel when this change was made ( and this includes going from 4 ports to 3), no one forced you to move with the ship to houston so as far as i am concerned this part can not even come into the conversation

As far as Cozumel goes - if the ship was still going out of new orleans Cozumel still would have been hit by the hurricane and no one would have had a choice to cancel.

Not sure what the argument is about

I live in Veracruz, and do tour guide work for some of the shore excursions.

I just now saw the Norwegian Line decided not to come back to Veracruz.

So, I guess we flunked the test here in Veracruz for NCL and lost out to Roatan and Belize City which I don´t think have the charm of Veracruz.

Right now the Elation will be making a cruise a week to Veracruz and we are looking forward to them coming while the piers are being rebuilt in Cozumel. After that I will once again have Veracruz all to myself!

John

NCL Sun already goes to Roatan & Belize so it wasn't either/or. Is there any security reason that NCL would choose not to replace Coz with Veracruz? I would love to see the place(especially vs. sailing in circles).

Aztec craig

And then there is New Orleans - we should be partying on Bourbon Street right now - we leave for Houston in the morning - we would cancel if we could - too late now

Not sure if your last post was directed towards me but if it was:

i am a chef and owner of a catering company and have no affiliation with the travel business other then the fact that most of my profit goes to them every year.

My post was to the above quote, not sure why that person is complaining, they could have cancelled, no one forced them to move with the ship to Houston

I have no idea if OP was implying or not, but I will say it clear as day -

Absolutely, NCL is 100% responsible for the port change from NO to HOU. When NO was hit, NCL had options on where or if to reposition. Same thing with itineraries. NCL no longer has the choice of NO, Coz and some other ports but it clearly chooses how - or if - it reconstructs the cruises.

By the same token they should either increase or decrease the price accordingly ( sorry, we are out of Filet, you can have the Lobster for $10 more or the chicken for $10 less) or allow the customer to choose another trip, another cruise line , or take the cruise they originally paid for at a later date ( when Filet is back on the menu ) .

Is it a disaster - yes, is it NCL's fault - no, is it NCL's responsibilty to provide similar goods to what was paid for and not gouge the customer - Absolutely.

Everyone who had booked the Sun before September was given the opportunity to cancel their cruise by the end of September - so I REALLY don't understand the continuous complaining about the switch from NOLA to Houston. I don't sympathize at all. (and BTW I will be on the Sun in Jan and I would much rather have cruised out of New Orleans. I had my chance to cancel LIKE EVERYONE ELSE and I chose not to do it - as did EVERYONE else whining about cruising out of Houston instead of New Orleans). You missed your chance to cancel - so too bad - grow up and accept responsibility for your own decisions.

As for the Sun "Wilma" changes - if you can't cope with port changes and cancellations - don't cruise in hurricane season - it really is THAT simple. I DO sympathize with people affected by the "Wilma" changes but NCL is in no way legally or morally obligated to do anything but refund port charges. For all of us cruising on the Sun I hope Cozumel will be back on the itinerary soon.

Well said Pieshops! Whiners are whiners, they don't have any logic at all......

They can't understand you can't park three cars in a double garage, or three ships in a two dock or two anchorage port. They only think of me, and me only.....

There were complaints about Veracruz, the dockside was commercial, smelly and no-one spoke English :rolleyes:

Personally I would like to visit somewhere that hasn't been taken over by tourists and is in its natural state and meet the people there, but it didn't please many on one of the NCL ships, which is possibly why it has been dropped as an alternative, which is a shame.

Everyone who had booked the Sun before September was given the opportunity to cancel their cruise by the end of September - so I REALLY don't understand the continuous complaining about the switch from NOLA to Houston. I don't sympathize at all. (and BTW I will be on the Sun in Jan and I would much rather have cruised out of New Orleans. I had my chance to cancel LIKE EVERYONE ELSE and I chose not to do it - as did EVERYONE else whining about cruising out of Houston instead of New Orleans). You missed your chance to cancel - so too bad - grow up and accept responsibility for your own decisions.

As for the Sun "Wilma" changes - if you can't cope with port changes and cancellations - don't cruise in hurricane season - it really is THAT simple. I DO sympathize with people affected by the "Wilma" changes but NCL is in no way legally or morally obligated to do anything but refund port charges. For all of us cruising on the Sun I hope Cozumel will be back on the itinerary soon.

From what has been said on a few press releases they are hoping to make Cozumel open to cruiseships from November 14th, not sure if any of the piers will have been repaired but perhaps they are thinking about tendering instead. However with TS Beta and TS Gamma in the vicinity, it might not be quite so soon. I hope they can reopen at least some of the resort but its going to be hard work. Good luck to them, I truly hope they succeed.

I work at a power plant as an electrician. We have a medium sized diesel at out plant, otherwise if all of the power went down, we wouldn't be able to reboot. Its small compared to the diesels on cruise ships.

There are many ships sailing the Western Caribbean cruises and Cozumel was the only port of call that had more than one pier for cruise ships. All were wiped out by Wilma. While Cozumel may have had the means to support more than a few cruise ships in port, many of the other ports don't have the piers, the customs, or the tenders, much less the people manning them.

You can't park three cruise ships in a two dock port or anchorage anymore than you can park three cars in a two car garage.... Its really that simple....

Keep in mind, its their ports, not ours....

I also live in a small town by a lake. During the summer holidays my town is overwhelmed by tourists. Frankly we don't have the parking spaces and motel rooms to accommodate the crowds of tourists. Our overwhelmed police don't have a large enough jail to handle the drunks on weekends, much less on holidays. Our two lane highway turns into a parking lot. So I know about not having the infrastructure in place to handle large crowds. Its the same story with many of these island nations in the Caribbean.

smooth sailing:

Why did you not cancel when the cruise was moved from new orleans to houston.

Please do not Fl*me me, just wondering

I guess I'm getting a bad reputation on this thread - I do not usually flame anyone - When the cruise was moved to Houton - I did not blame NCL - It's not their fault - But, I was disappoited - which is my right - I did prefer 4 ports - but, again you try to adapt and staying in Cozumel until 10pm was nice - I also do not blame NCL for what happened to Cozumel - but, I do believe they should try harder to find an additional port - that's about all I said - and then I get attacked from all side - from posters who are reading stuff into my post that I did not say - And I happen to be one who fights back - many of my posts in the past hour have been zapped

I was dissapointed also, i am going on the sun for thanksgiving and also wanted to go out of new orleans, being a chef a much better food town then Houston

Do you really think NCL wants this grief, Do you really think they want unhappy customers, and do you really think they are not trying to find an alternate port.

I just do not think it is as easy as plopping your finger on a map and saying we will go to that port instead, remember, cozumel was devestaed less then a week ago.

I think they need a little leeway

Zapped here too. Is 'Cruise Critic' owned by the cruise line? Hmmmm.......

No but most of the revenue comes from cruise industry advertising. I believe the intent is to share the joy of cruising and point out the pitfalls not bash any cruise line or cruise service.

If there was a membership fee that funded the board you might have an issue with posts being deleted. The posts are here in my view for a single reason to bring in people who will buy the services of the advertisers.

Archived