Kilauea is Active Again!

SMerritt

GREAT NEWS!

Kilauea is Active Again!

One of my favorite evenings on the POA was sailing by Kilauea at night watching the lava flow into the ocean.

Our last cruise on the POA it was cancelled due the volcano being dormant.

This new update has me so excited! POA sails by twice after dark, it is sometimes missed due to they do not post it very well in the daily. Looking at the news updates, I do not see how it will be missed by anyone, but just a heads up.

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/hawaii/kilauea/current-activity.html

** Helicopter Booked - Heli tours are a little pricey, but the POA helicopter tours are OVER THE TOP! First class aircraft, competent & INFORMATIVE Pilots, easy (included) transportation to and from ship.

** We will order dinner in and enjoy the sail-by on our veranda, THEN I will run to the other side of the ship and watch it again.:D

Any recent updates from any recent cruisers would be appreciated.

Soooo Excited! Hoping to see the below (photo) in September.

513367001_Klauea2.jpg.6bd18cc608473cfb4af8825146dc0da6.jpg

Edited by SMerritt

GREAT NEWS!

Kilauea is Active Again!

One of my favorite evenings on the POA was sailing by Kilauea at night watching the lava flow into the ocean.

Our last cruise on the POA it was cancelled due the volcano being dormant.

This new update has me so excited! POA sails by twice after dark, it is sometimes missed due to they do not post it very well in the daily. Looking at the news updates, I do not see how it will be missed by anyone, but just a heads up.

** Helicopter Booked - Heli tours are a little pricey, but the POA helicopter tours are OVER THE TOP! First class aircraft, competent & INFORMATIVE Pilots, easy (included) transportation to and from ship.

** We will order dinner in and enjoy the sail-by on our veranda, THEN I will run to the other side of the ship and watch it again.:D

Any recent updates from any recent cruisers would be appreciated.

Soooo Excited! Hoping to see the below (photo) in September.

This is one of many reasons we book aft cabins, because for this cruise hopefully you'll see lava and have a great view of Napali coast.

Cant wait and hope the lava is still flowing in January.

You are mistaken, SMerritt. You mistakenly said that Kilauea was dormant during your last cruise and unless that was over 30 years ago that is false. It simply wasn't flowing into the ocean. Kilauea has been continually erupting for 3 decades now.

But yes it is now flowing into the ocean. We already have threads talking about the current active lava flow, since it became accessible by foot about a month ago (which is when the POA began doing the sailby again, as they could see the active flow coming down the pali)

~Katy

Hi, does anyone know if the Carnival Ships sail past this area as well when the lava is flowing? We are cruising in October and that would be so awesome to see!! Thanks for any info you can give me.

This is one of many reasons we book aft cabins, because for this cruise hopefully you'll see lava and have a great view of Napali coast.

Cant wait and hope the lava is still flowing in January.

Sadly, we did book an aft cabin (June 2016) and were disappointed with the views. Should have gone with the port side. Just my opinion.

Not disappointed with the cruise or the time I spent early mornings on our balcony enjoying my coffee - just with the views of the Napali coast. There were no good views from there while we cruised. While in port the views were pretty good...we just weren't in the cabin as much as we thought. We just watched the Napali coast from the port side during dinner.

And we loved the "Rainbow Falls and Volcano" tour offered by Norwegian (operated by Polynesian Adventures....whose parent company is Norwegian I believe). I'd say it was the highlight of the trip...but every day was a highlight. :)

rns

On the POA the ship heads toward the lava viewing after leaving Hilo. This is on Tuesday evening. The lava usually comes into view starting around 9pm or perhaps a little earlier. Don't miss it..it is a once in a lifetime experience!

We are in an aft cabin that is the owners suite with a large balcony on the very back of the ship. Will we have a good view from our deck.

Kandy

Yes you will be able to see it if they do a sail by, it will also depend on how much is flowing, a trickle verses large flow.