Need to book flight: 11:10 am return flight cutting too close? ship docks 7am Ft. Lau

mikeysed

Should be ok but you will not have any time to dilly dally and I'm assuming you're flying domestic. If you're flying International, take the later flight....here's what we did:

1. order room service cold b-fast to be delivered to your room at 11 p.m. or as late as possible before you go to bed (they usually stop room service around Midnight)....you'll have to skip the hot coffee and put the milk in the fridge...but you can get coffee at the airport while you leisurely await your flight.

2. shower the night before and do not put your bags out.

3. Plan to disembark with your luggage as early as you can....I think we were off the ship by 7:45 a.m. and through customs standing at the curb at 8.

4. Hail a taxi and with a little luck you'll be at the airport by 8:30...where there will be a huge line for check in. We use curb side because as scary long as that line looks, it moves faster and the sooner I can dump my suitcase the better...and for some reason nobody's bag ever weighs more than 50 pounds! (at S/W curbside anyway) :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

Doable but only if you dock on an off day. The weekends in FLL are chaos with so many ships in port. Cabs, back-ups at the airport and then security. I might think twice, even getting off very early with luggage, and try to make it a little later. That's why we are lucky enough to be able to cruise on the "off days" and only 1 or 2 ships in port.

Good luck.

Pat C

Doable but only if you dock on an off day. The weekends in FLL are chaos with so many ships in port. Cabs, back-ups at the airport and then security. I might think twice, even getting off very early with luggage, and try to make it a little later. That's why we are lucky enough to be able to cruise on the "off days" and only 1 or 2 ships in port.

Good luck.

Pat C

Pat raises a good point. We docked on a Sunday....but if there's 4 ships docking at 7 a.m. on a week-day you might not make it. You might want to take the X shore excursion which will load your bags on a bus take you on a tour of FLL (one of them had a cruise with lunch) and then drop you at the airport. I'd hate to see you have to spend like 4+ hours at that airport because it's small and doesn't have much to pass the time.

I would say you will be fine with some caveats:

-assume you are taking self disembark first thing

- day of week could be different ie. assume you are Sat return which will be

long lines due to cruise returns that day (any day other than Sat makes it a piece of cake)

- if you have premium status with airline you are flying this can be a huge deal at check in and again makes it a no brainer

- you will take cab

FLL is such a dreary and crowded airport (especially if you are flying SWA terminals) I try and spend as little time there as possible.

But like everything you have to consider- if you miss your flight what are the economic consequences. If it is going to cost you 1200 bucks you may want to be very conservative. Are you going to worry all cruise about this.

Is there a reasonable plan B if you do miss your flight.

I personally would give you a 90+% on making your flight and 95+%

if not on Sat or are premium status flyer. Your basic risk is if the ship does not reach port on time which is very unlikely.

My returns are always from Miami and I keep booking earlier every cruise

From Miami port I still could make this flight.

I am not a 'daredevil' on this stuff as I would not consider not going into town the night before a cruise.

Good luck. If you do opt for later flight I would consider getting off ship as late as possible and maybe going somewhere for lunch before.

I would say you will be fine with some caveats:

FLL is such a dreary and crowded airport (especially if you are flying SWA terminals) I try and spend as little time there as possible.

Man, ain't that the truth!!! We fly SW as often as we can due to the convenience of our local airport, but oh my some of their terminals are horrid and FLL is right up there in the top 10! :D

Good luck. If you do opt for later flight I would consider getting off ship as late as possible and maybe going somewhere for lunch before.

Eat lunch where? First they would be toting their bags everywhere they go and there's really not much in the way of shopping or dining near the terminal or the airport. If they opt for later flight, I would spring for X to schlep me around town and bring me to the airport...

Edited by Hydrokitty

You'll be fine. We made a 9:50 flight out of FLL in March. But-we were the 3&4th people in line to get off the ship, and made sure to get there an hour before we actually docked. We did the buffet, but that was the last thing we needed to do before getting in line. Get a taxi, and if you don't already have it, get TSA precheck. It's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I assume you are talking about your 11/18/16 Equinox cruise. There will be only 2 ships in port and you will be docking at terminal 18, both in your favor.

We live in Ft Lauderdale about 25 minutes from the port and have sailed Equinox twice in November(this year we'll be on the cruise after yours). Both times we were in our house by 10:30 without express walk off.

So, barring a late docking, you shouldn't have any problems.

You'll be totally fine. In 20+ times, I have never been through security and at the gate later than 9:15 am, sometimes as early as 8:30 am. I self disembark between 7:30 and 8 am. It will only go wrong if for some reason the ship arrives late.

Hi - I need to book my flight. On the return I can do 11:10 am EST or 4:45 pm EST...

Is 11:10 AM cutting it too close if we dock at 7 am in Fort Lauderdale?

The flight is 11:10 am out of FLL.

Port Everglades-FLL is the only combo we would say okie dokie no problem at.

We have made a 9:35 flight with time for a cocktail at the airport before boarding!:D Your good with the 11:10 or even earlier.

Edited by wallie5446

We stay over to avoid stress if we can,t get a flight after noon...sure it can be done for an earlier flight but there are many variables beyond your control..

In our opinion. FLL airport SWAir terminal has some of the worst food ever.. high prIces, few sit down spots and oddball offerings..not much else beyond bagels or donuts!