Pre-Paying Gratuities Results in Better Serivce Than Auto-Grats? Please Explain How

ShakyBeef

Honestly, I have always done pre-paid so I don't have a comparison for you, but I really don't see how it would make any difference. Even if you pre-pay grats, you still have the option to remove them if you receive poor service.

I do it for my own convenience, not because I believe that I would receive better (or worse) service because of it.

For our next cruise on the Splendor, we decided to prepay our gratuities. We decided to do that this time just for the convenience, and for no other reason! We will still give extra tips to those individuals who go out of their way to make our cruise extra special, just as we've done in the past. We feel we received great service on our prior cruises but wanted to get the tips paid ahead of time. Nothing more nothing less!

My husband told me on our last cruise that he saw the steward had a list that indicated whether cabins had prepaid tips. He tracked down the steward a couple times during the cruise, to ask for ice and get towels replaced, and happened to see the list. He didn't think of the existence of a list as controversial, just interesting. Obviously stewards have lists that help them learn our names, and it wouldn't be odd to include whether we prepaid.

Since we have always prepaid and never cruised with anyone who didn't prepay, I won't speculate whether it results in better service. I doubt it, but I can see arguments on both sides. Obviously, there might be incentive to impress someone who hasn't prepaid. OTOH, people who prepay may also be generous enough to tip extra, and there is also a subset of non-prepayers who have no intention of ever tipping. On that cruise, I overheard an extended family talking about how they all were removing the auto tips. :mad: Some stewards may develop a sense for which guests are likely to be among that special group of cheapskates.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

My husband told me on our last cruise that he saw the steward had a list that indicated whether cabins had prepaid tips. He tracked down the steward a couple times during the cruise, to ask for ice and get towels replaced, and happened to see the list. He didn't think of the existence of a list as controversial, just interesting. Obviously stewards have lists that help them learn our names, and it wouldn't be odd to include whether we prepaid.

Since we have always prepaid and never cruised with anyone who didn't prepay, I won't speculate whether it results in better service. I doubt it, but I can see arguments on both sides. Obviously, there might be incentive to impress someone who hasn't prepaid. OTOH, people who prepay may also be generous enough to tip extra, and there is also a subset of non-prepayers who have no intention of ever tipping. On that cruise, I overheard an extended family talking about how they all were removing the auto tips. :mad: Some stewards may develop a sense for which guests are likely to be among that special group of cheapskates.

I cruise soon and I will definitely be searching the carts in the hall for this list.

If I find one, I will take a picture and post it.

Seems odd to me not to have proof.

There was a picture someone snapped a long time ago but that particular cruise there had been big problems and LOTS of people had removed the tips. I don't think it was a typical thing.

I do know someone who supports the belief that prepaying yields better service. He contends that the staff get the list and that statistically those who prepay are more likely to increase the amount at the end or give them an additional cash tip either at beginning or end thus resulting in the staff giving better service to achieve the additional tip.

Don't know if his belief has any basis in fact.

OK, so following this reasoning, in what way would the steward treat the auto-grat guest differently? Would you reason the steward would treat such guest worse or better than the pre-paid guest? Why?

Here's how my logic follows out if accepting the premise of the steward treating the auto-grat guest "differently to someone who has pre-paid": the steward would be motivated to not give the auto-grat guest any reason to stiff him. He might, then, even give the auto-grat guest better service. He might even feel as if he could be a little lazy with the pre-paid guest's cabin, since his tip there is most likely already assured, even before he does any work at all.

How does it follow that he might treat the auto-grat guest worse than the pre-paid guest? Would he, out of preemptive resentment for the possibility of being stiffed, neglect the auto-grat guest? This would be foolhardy to put it mildly. Or would he, out of sheer benevolence and gratitude for the pre-tip, be inclined to give extra service to the pre-paid guest? The logic just fails either way.

Well, now you're just using logic and we all know that is not allowed here on CC. :D

I cruise soon and I will definitely be searching the carts in the hall for this list.

If I find one, I will take a picture and post it.

Seems odd to me not to have proof.

There was a picture someone snapped a long time ago but that particular cruise there had been big problems and LOTS of people had removed the tips. I don't think it was a typical thing.

My DH wouldn't think of taking a photo. He didn't think anything of it, just that it confirmed what he assumed about stewards having information about their guests. He's never been on cruise critic and wouldn't understand why photo proof would be important. I was too busy enjoying my cruise to hunt down the list myself and snap a photo.

This particular steward was hard-working and helpful but seemed a bit overwhelmed, possibly new. Maybe most stewards don't keep the list out in the open? This was also the first cruise where I twice overheard people talking about removing tips just because they didn't want to pay. There was even the infamous long line at guest services. Maybe there's something about higher priced, Christmas cruises that results in more guests who have no intention of tipping?

Edited by KatieCharlotte

My DH wouldn't think of taking a photo. He didn't think anything of it, just that it confirmed what he assumed about stewards having information about their guests. He's never been on cruise critic and wouldn't understand why photo proof would be important. I was too busy enjoying my cruise to hunt down the list myself and snap a photo.

This particular steward was hard-working and helpful but seemed a bit overwhelmed, possibly new. Maybe most stewards don't keep the list out in the open? This was also the first cruise where I twice overheard people talking about removing tips just because they didn't want to pay. There was even the infamous long line at guest services. Maybe there's something about higher priced, Christmas cruises that results in more guests who have no intention of tipping?

Yet these mooches who remove tips have no issue dropping a decent amount of $$$$ on gawdy t shirts, Carnival gear, cheap watches and costume jewelry in the gift shops. Then justify it with the mindset of "well Carnival should pay their workers better, this is my vacation and my money should be spent on me" (yes, I have heard this line of thinking being repeated)....pathetic

Edited by First and Ten

Yet these mooches who remove tips have no issue dropping a decent amount of $$$$ on gawdy t shirts, Carnival gear, cheap watches and costume jewelry in the gift shops. Then justify it with the mindset of "well Carnival should pay their workers better, this is my vacation and my money should be spent on me" (yes, I have heard this line of thinking being repeated)....pathetic

I actually overheard a well-dressed extended family loudly discussing that they'd already paid enough for their vacation...on Christmas day...while the Grinch played on the big screen in front of them. :eek: They were quick to point out that "Mom and Dad" also removed those terrible auto tips. At least three cabins, probably in the same area...:mad:

If anything, I think prepaid would actually get the shorter end of the stick here (no risk of it being removed if steward just phones in the job, so to speak).

Actually, even if you pre-pay, you can still remove the gratuities for poor service (if you ever receive service so bad on a cruise ship that you would need to).

Prepaid Gratuities

Gratuities are pre-arranged and can be added at the time of booking or anytime up to the sail date. If already booked, guests can contact their Travel Professional to add prepaid gratuities; if booked directly with Carnival, contact us at 800 764-7419.

All guests on each booking must prepay the gratuities with the exception of children less than two years of age.

For cruises that begin in Barbados, all gratuities are pre-paid and automatically added during the booking process.

The dollar amount for gratuities will appear in the 'Miscellaneous Charge' field on the confirmation. E-Documents will indicate if gratuities have been prepaid.

Should a guest not be satisfied with the service they receive, they can contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address their concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At the discretion of the guest, they may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

Edited by Schoifmom

I was told that the room list on some cruise lines does exist. Don't remember which one it was but a manager/friend told me of it. It is there so that the steward can extend the courtesy of a thank those who tip by prepay as well as those who tip in cash and especially to those who do both.

This friend has worked for three different cruise lines so don't remember which one he referred to at the time.

I bet alot of people remove tips.

You know what cruizin, I think you are right on that....I think there are a lot of mooches out there that look at their account toward the end of their cruise, have a short memory of all the work that was done by all the people and cant comprehend on handing over about $180 in tips

Edited by First and Ten

I actually overheard a well-dressed extended family loudly discussing that they'd already paid enough for their vacation...on Christmas day...while the Grinch played on the big screen in front of them. :eek: They were quick to point out that "Mom and Dad" also removed those terrible auto tips. At least three cabins, probably in the same area...:mad:

LOL, "Grinch"....gotta love the irony :D

Edited by First and Ten

I do know someone who supports the belief that prepaying yields better service. He contends that the staff get the list and that statistically those who prepay are more likely to increase the amount at the end or give them an additional cash tip either at beginning or end thus resulting in the staff giving better service to achieve the additional tip.

Don't know if his belief has any basis in fact.

I was told that the room list on some cruise lines does exist. Don't remember which one it was but a manager/friend told me of it. It is there so that the steward can extend the courtesy of a thank those who tip by prepay as well as those who tip in cash and especially to those who do both.

This friend has worked for three different cruise lines so don't remember which one he referred to at the time.

Is the cruiseline employee to whom you refer in this last post the same person to whom you refer in your above post? Is the person who supports the belief a CC member? I'd be interested in hearing him explain his way of thinking.

It sure sounds like the part I highlighted in red is imaginary statistics. I could just as easily say that those of us who leave auto-grats in place are more likely to be bigger tippers than the prepaid guests. I could even provide supporting "evidence":rolleyes: for this claim. But neither statement can actually be supported without real statistics, which we're not going to see here.

Hi everyone

I agree with this totally.

Regarding the list thing: I have had jobs in the past where a tip would be gladly appreciated, so I would think there would be reasons to have such a list.

If you have pre-paid your tips or if they are billed automatically, your attendants know that you are giving tips as the cruise line recommends, they are happy. If you are not on that list as having already given a tip they will be looking at you basically hoping :( that you might come through in the end. It may not even be that they expect a tip, it is just that they may feel that they have done their job well and are hoping you would do what is customary in North America. They would/should be looking out a little more for those people who have not already tipped them. If any of you were in the same position, you would be doing the same. By removing your tips you are putting them in an unfair position. We have heard all the excuses on this site. We know there is only one reason to remove the tips. :(

Eventually the cruise lines will have to move toward a mandatory service fee, just as a lot of hotels and restaurants have done.

Absolutely NOT true!

We never pre pay anything and have always had GREAT service!!

We totally agree.

We also have never felt, as some do, it necessary to "pre-tip extra in cash" to have ice delivered twice a day as some say they do. We always get our ice and good service. At the end of the cruise we slip the steward (and MDR staff) some extra cash for contributing to a delightful cruise. I know the extra isn't necessary if you pre-pay or auto-grat but we do so because we can and want to :-)

You know what cruizin, I think you are right on that....I think there are a lot of mooches out there that look at their account toward the end of their cruise, have a short memory of all the work that was done by all the people and cant comprehend on handing over about $180 in tips

We were on an 8-day cruise with five people. If my math is right, that was $480 in tips. Families of four were still paying close to $400. We prepaid and considered it part of the cruising cost. Families who didn't prepay went on an expensive "all-inclusive" vacation and got a really big bill just for tips alone.

Some of those people had no intention of paying tips or were shocked by the bill and refused to pay, either because they were newbie cruisers who didn't research or they spent way too much on board and "fixed" their budget by stiffing the workers. I think it also seems reasonable that fewer people who see auto tips owed on their bills slip the steward something extra at the end. I know there are exceptions, especially among cruise critic members who understand tipping, but we're talking about the average Carnival cruiser.

No matter how they tip, some people get lousy service because they are lousy guests.

Bingo. 10 points for Gryffindor.

I just love the posts "the first thing I do once on board is go to the service desk and immediately remove pre-paid tips".

I'm pretty sure I can predict how that trip is going to go.

Yup. Now talk about something that boils my blood. I remember years ago we took a newbie with us and she said she was gonna remove tips because she forgot they were part of the cost. Nevermind I had mentioned it over and over again. I told her I wish she would. I would never invite her on another trip! She didn't.

People spend all this money for vacation, want to be waited on hand and foot, yet will skip out on the gratuity. Real ignorant!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We were on an 8-day cruise with five people. If my math is right, that was $480 in tips. Families of four were still paying close to $400. We prepaid and considered it part of the cruising cost. Families who didn't prepay went on an expensive "all-inclusive" vacation and got a really big bill just for tips alone.

Some of those people had no intention of paying tips or were shocked by the bill and refused to pay, either because they were newbie cruisers who didn't research or they spent way too much on board and "fixed" their budget by stiffing the workers. I think it also seems reasonable that fewer people who see auto tips owed on their bills slip the steward something extra at the end. I know there are exceptions, especially among cruise critic members who understand tipping, but we're talking about the average Carnival cruiser.

Remaining on my soapbox for a moment longer. I love the mindset of some families with young kids who feel they shouldn't be charged for tips for the kids....the kids have eaten all week haven't they? They probably make more of a mess in the rooms than adults do and in some cases, they have used the kids camps all week....but they don't feel like they should pay for tips for them???? :confused:

Edited by First and Ten

I never pre-pay auto or any tips and I have always received great service.

I will say to those of you who remove your auto tips if I would you I would probably carry my toothbrush with me where ever I went. :rolleyes:

I was away for a few hours and hoped that upon returning to this thread I might find that someone had come forth to support the insupportable. But I suppose this is just a CC myth or game of telephone after all. Or possibly those who contend it to be true just haven't seen this thread yet?:rolleyes:

Come on, who out there in Carnival CC Land has claimed this? 'Fess up.:cool: