Infinity R/T to Hawaii from LA?

KatWag

My parents are booked on this cruise for next October. It'll be their first trip on X and they're really excited about trying the line.

If you've sailed this itinerary, how did you like it? How is the trip between LA and the first port? Did you feel like there were enough activities for the sea days? Any "must sees" or "must do's" that you'd recommend?

Thanks so much,

Kathy

We did this trip two years ago (although it was one-way then) and are booked on the November 20th trip.

Out of 14 cruises, it was our favorite! The sea days are fantastic. They are so relaxing, and there is plenty to do.. or not to do, whatever you prefer.

Another wonderful thing, is that they step the time change day by day, so that you are acclamated to the time change by the time you arrive in port.

Any specific questions, please post them and I will be glad to help :)

Joe,

I didn't realize you'd done this before.

We have decided because there will be two adults and two children, that we will rent cars and take our own excursions. Are you doing the ship's tours???

Do you think "Island Night" will be when we are in Honolulu?

Do you think they'll have Hawaiian entertainment onboard??

Hi Suzanne!

We are only doing the ships tour in Maui, as we want to go to Lanai so we are taking the snorkel trip there. When we were in Maui last time, we were actually there overnight, so we rented a car the first day and did the road to Hana on our own. It was awesome, but we did not get back to the ship until late seating dinner time! Long day! Being the ship tenders in Maui, I thought the time frame was a bit short to rent a car this time, but it is doable as long as you do not attempt the road to Hana.

In Kauai we are renting a car, and exploring the island. Last time we went on a Safari Air helicopter ride, the best experience of my life to date!

In Oahu we are renting a car and exploring the island, which is what we did last time. Once you get out of Waikiki, the shoreline is breathtaking!

In Hilo we are going on a Safari Air helicopter ride over the volcano. We did not make it to Hilo last time. It was supposed to be our first port, and the waves were so huge that the port authority would not allow us to dock. Instead, the captain went slowly along the coastline, which was great.

In Kona we are doing the snorkeling trip on the Body Glove, which is booked through the ship (I forgot that this one is, too). We did the Body Glove on our own last time and thoroughly enjoyed it. This time the ship had already chartered the whole tour, so I had to book through them.

We had "Island Night" on our second port night last time. Not sure when they will do it this time. It was very nice.

I do not remember any hawaiian entertainment onboard, but I do remember that they had three young men that showed up at various points (like when standing in line waiting for the dining room to open their doors for dinner) and break into song. They were awesome. I have never seen that since on any other ship.

Joe:

I thought I was excited about our trip on the 20th, but you've made me even more excited and I didn't think that was possible.

You and I were on Jewel at the same time last year (Thanksgiving). I'd love to get to meet you this time. Maybe we can worth something out.

I tried to book the Infinity in February for a round trip last December - and it was sold out! We did the one way in 2003 on Infinity, and it was great. My detailed review can be found on http://www.cruisereviews.com under Celebrity - then Infinity and then my name. Philip M. Haggerty. We also did a lot of car rentals, and booked a snorkel trip to Molokini off Maui on the net.

We drove up Halakela and it was marvelous. We also drove up Waimea

Canyon on Kauai, and enjoyed it greatly despite the clouds. The great thing about the round trip will be the chance to relax on the return trip after rushing around the islands.

Joe:

I thought I was excited about our trip on the 20th, but you've made me even more excited and I didn't think that was possible.

You and I were on Jewel at the same time last year (Thanksgiving). I'd love to get to meet you this time. Maybe we can worth something out.

Oh my gosh! I do remember chatting with you before our Jewel trip last year! We will definitely meet this year... I am signed up for the party :)

I am so very excited about this trip... we are really looking forward to the round trip aspect of this cruise, love the days at sea, love this ship! It has the best solarium pool area, which is perfect for the days that it might be a little chilly enroute across the Pacific :)

Disembarked the 23rd and let me tell you the itinerary is wonderful. Main issue with all I talked to was the short time in Maui - they couldn't locate an official to come onboard so we did not start tendering until after 8 am and had to catch the last tender back at 2:30 - definitely too short a time in a beautiful port. That aside, my husband and I work full time so the initial days at sea were a chance to relax and get into "island mode", the ports were great, and the sea days back gave us a chance to relax from the sightseeing frenzy. There are many options on sea days, especially if you are a trivia player. We love to sit by the pool with a good book and the chair hogs seem to be at a minimum.

Have to agree with the previous poster that the time change policy was great - especially since coming from Jersey was a 6 hour difference.

We did the same ports on a repositioning in May, 2003 so you could say we like these ports. My "must see" choices would be: rent a car and see the Arizona Memorial then drive to the North Shore stopping at all the beaches along the coastline- breathtakingly beautiful. See Volcanoes National Park and Waimea Canyon. Take a helicopter ride if possible. Our stop in Maui was short so we took the free shuttle to Whaler's Village and walked out onto the beach for a few hours - very peaceful. If you snorkle walk along the beach all the way down to the Sheraton and snorkle in front of Black Rock. In Kona we shopped along the main street and stopped in a restaurant/bar for drinks and a great view of the ship.

One piece of advice - make sure and bring a jacket or sweatshirt for the first and last few days at sea and an umbrella for Hilo. Other than that - tell your parents they are in for a treat!!

Hi Joe -- we are going on Summit, March 26th, round trip to Hawaii -- I was interested in the helicopter tours you have taken (Kauai) and wondered if you had some information (or website) about the tours or companies. We have never done this before and am not sure where to begin. Any information would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Lucy

We did Summit to Vancouver from Hawaii in May '02 and the ocean was like glass. We really were lucky. I knew 2 people who took the same Itinerary 2 separate occasions on Princess at the same time of year who had very rough crossings. Since we are scheduled to do the RT LA to Hawaii in Jan '06, I am hoping for the same nice crossing we had before. But I am laying in a supply of Bonine & Dramamine, just in case!

Hi Joe -- we are going on Summit, March 26th, round trip to Hawaii -- I was interested in the helicopter tours you have taken (Kauai) and wondered if you had some information (or website) about the tours or companies. We have never done this before and am not sure where to begin. Any information would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Lucy

Hi Lucy, I cannot say enough about Safari Helicopters. Their website is http://www.safarihelicopters.com. We did their tour in Kauai, and we both felt so safe, and loved it. They have bose headsets with choreographed music that, when combined with the scenery, brings tears to your eyes! They also have a system onboard that makes a custom video tape of your trip (not a pre-recorded one!). On top of it all, their prices are great when compared to the ships excursions. The real test of their customer service was when, two years ago, we had booked a ride in Hilo and also one in Kauai with them. We did not make it to Hilo due to weather, and when I called them from my cellphone, they had already credited my card back the full amount, and were extremely nice. Needless to say, I am booked with them this time for Hilo again, excited to fly over the valcono!

We are going R/T to Hawaii on Summit on December 18th. We are booked with Safari Helicopters in Kauai and Hilo. We have 8 days at sea. What could be nicer?

Also, if you go to the "Hawaii" Ports of Call Board, you will pick up a lot of info.

We did this itinerary roundtrip from San Diego last December and it was fabulous. The days at sea were very relaxing and full of activities, and they definitely helped ease the transition to the different time zones for us East Coasters. We rented cars at all the ports except Maui and used maps, books and websites to help us decide what we wanted to see. We enjoyed it so much and there is still so much to see, we've booked Summit on March 12 with two other couples.

Texed, just wanted to mention I posted a reply to you on the Thanksgiving roll call. Have a great time on your cruises!

Archived