How's Torrance, CA for a precruise hotel stay?

many cruises

We are booked on the Sapphire in April 2006 & have been checking 3 star hotel prices in the Long Beach area & either they are very pricey or they have poor ratings. Has anyone ever stayed in the Marriott or Hilton in Torrance, CA for a 1 night precruise stay? We have a rental car, so driving to San Pedro in the morning is not a problem. If anyone knows about how far away Torrance is from the San Pedro pier, we would love to know. Also, anything you know about the Torrance area would be helpful.

Infinity- July 2006

Sapphire Princess- April 2006

Caribbean Princess- July 2005

Star Princess- April 2005

Century- July 2004

Mariner of the Seas- April 2004

Grand Princess- August 2003

Enchantment of the Seas- April 2003

Monarch of the Seas- April 2002

Sovereign of the Seas- April 2001

Hi, if you are just going to be sleeping the night , I guess it would be ok. But there isn't really much for you in Torrance, shopping centeres , business, etc. If you can check Long Beach again I would suggest that. Have you checked the Long Beach Coast Hotel, it is pretty good, not 4 star but nice. Convenient and things to do pre cruise. I live here in the area , my daughter worked in Torrance area for 5 years and I just think a different area would be nicer for someone visiting our area pre cruise. That being said , it is just my opinion. Also since you are renting a car, word of caution about the freways, can be very very congested, especially the 405 frwy. So if you have the option of timing your driving to off traffic times(after 10 am and before 3 pm, and after 7 pm), I would suggest that. Don't want to rain on your parade, just want to see you have a good time :)

Cori

If you're not planning to go out, almost any city is fine. If you're looking for stuff to do, I'd pick another city other than Torrance. Not enough nightlife.

If it's a weekend, and you're parking your rental at the pier, then any city would be fine. Directly West of San Pedro is Palos Verdes. Rancho PV or PV Estates is extremely upscale. Doubt they have hotels up there, but other parts of PV should have nice hotels. Still, I find that whole area boring. I'd try and stay near downtown long beach. Otherwise, go farther out to cities like Santa Monica or Orange County (Anaheim, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Irvine, etc) and just drive the 40 min or so in to the pier.

I think the drive time from Torrance to San Pedro is probably about 20 to 30 minutes, but isn’t Mattel Toys about the only thing in Torrance? And I don’t even think they’re Mattel anymore. Anyway, there should be some better rated hotels in the Long Beach area, especially around the Convention Center and Queen Mary. Santa Monica is also in the area if you have a car and are able to get around. Huntington Beach is good too…

Huntington Beach and Long Beach would be much more expensive and Torrance (I am from So Calif) is certainly not all refineries. If all you want is a place to unwind and get to the port early the next day, Torrance is a good location, less expensive and there are some great restaurants in the area, not to mention lots of malls. Of course you won't have time to mall hop. I would choose the Hilton, but either would be fine.

We are booked on the Sapphire in April 2006 & have been checking 3 star hotel prices in the Long Beach area & either they are very pricey or they have poor ratings. Has anyone ever stayed in the Marriott or Hilton in Torrance, CA for a 1 night precruise stay? We have a rental car, so driving to San Pedro in the morning is not a problem. If anyone knows about how far away Torrance is from the San Pedro pier, we would love to know. Also, anything you know about the Torrance area would be helpful.

Torrance is a good place to stay overnight. Both hotels are literally across the street from one another and are excellent. There must be at least a dozen good eating places around them and a large shopping center within a short walking distance. The dock is about twenty minutes away.

Hi - I live in Torrance and the hotels you are speaking of are real nice. They are across the street from a Major mall, over 200 shops lots of food places. Its about 2 miles from the beach, redondo pier, hermosa and manhattan beach are within 15 min driving time. Torrance is about 25 minutes to San Pedro via the freeway. April is real nice, sometimes in the 80's rainy season is passed by then, if we even have one. It is a lot better bet than the Long beach area. There is more to do here in Torrance than Long Beach or Orange county for the day, a lot more variety and you can do all the South bay beach areas in one day, end even find a lot of afforable places to eat.

Its the ticket. And very beautiful here as well. Enjoy your stay.

There is more to do here in Torrance than Long Beach or Orange county for the day, a lot more variety and you can do all the South bay beach areas in one day, end even find a lot of afforable places to eat.

These statements I disagree strongly with. I was born in Torrance, but grew up in Cerritos (borders Long Beach and is 15-20 min from Torrance). IMO, the malls have gotten worse over the years in Torrance. Del Amo Fashion Square got cut in half. Even some of the restaurants, like Lucille's Bar-B-Que there don't make food as well as the Long Beach ones.

And I understand civic pride and all, but there's no way in hell you can say Torrance has more to do for the day than Orange County. First of all, Torrance is a city (suburb really). More of an industrial looking city than a touristy one. Orange County is an entire county, which includes major tourist cities like Anaheim. Plus, if you're comparing beaches, Hermosa has an interesting beach bum feel, but it's nowhere near as nice as the beaches out in Orange County. Cerritos is in the middle of South Bay beaches and the OC beaches. I'd shoot down south for the OC beaches every single time.

Since Torrance isn't right next to the pier and you're gonna have to drive 20 min anyways, I'd really consider some OC areas like Huntington Beach (Newport's just a bit too far). Or, go more north like Santa Monica. Recommending Torrance is like recommending Cerritos. For a tourist, I just couldn't do it, no matter how great I think my city is. It's beatiful (see the city's website), but like Torrance, it doesn't have enough of a nightlife (or daylife).

Hi - I live in Torrance and the hotels you are speaking of are real nice. They are across the street from a Major mall, over 200 shops lots of food places. Its about 2 miles from the beach, redondo pier, hermosa and manhattan beach are within 15 min driving time. Torrance is about 25 minutes to San Pedro via the freeway. April is real nice, sometimes in the 80's rainy season is passed by then, if we even have one. It is a lot better bet than the Long beach area. There is more to do here in Torrance than Long Beach or Orange county for the day, a lot more variety and you can do all the South bay beach areas in one day, end even find a lot of afforable places to eat.

thank you for clarify what's in Torrance. I live in Carson and read the a few posts and was like What?, there's a major shopping mall across the street from both hotels. There is also restuarant row, on Hawthorne Blvd. There is plenty to do in Torrance and it's a nice city.

Im curious about your rental car - where are you going to return it? We are driving from Prescott, AZ on 12/30 for a New Year's Eve departure - I would love to stay in Long Beach - but they charge for parking and do not have a shuttle to San Pedro - the charge for parking at the pier is $12/day - we have opted forhte Holiday Inn at San Pedro - they will let us park the car there - no charge and shuttle us to and from the pier.

lizlewis: We are renting our car from enterprise at LAX (shuttle run every few minutes) & returning it to their San Pedro location. There is no drop off fee for dropping off the car at San Pedro as long as you are going on a cruise. Hope this helps.

These statements I disagree strongly with. I was born in Torrance, but grew up in Cerritos (borders Long Beach and is 15-20 min from Torrance). IMO, the malls have gotten worse over the years in Torrance. Del Amo Fashion Square got cut in half. Even some of the restaurants, like Lucille's Bar-B-Que there don't make food as well as the Long Beach ones.

And I understand civic pride and all, but there's no way in hell you can say Torrance has more to do for the day than Orange County. First of all, Torrance is a city (suburb really). More of an industrial looking city than a touristy one. Orange County is an entire county, which includes major tourist cities like Anaheim. Plus, if you're comparing beaches, Hermosa has an interesting beach bum feel, but it's nowhere near as nice as the beaches out in Orange County. Cerritos is in the middle of South Bay beaches and the OC beaches. I'd shoot down south for the OC beaches every single time.

Since Torrance isn't right next to the pier and you're gonna have to drive 20 min anyways, I'd really consider some OC areas like Huntington Beach (Newport's just a bit too far). Or, go more north like Santa Monica. Recommending Torrance is like recommending Cerritos. For a tourist, I just couldn't do it, no matter how great I think my city is. It's beatiful (see the city's website), but like Torrance, it doesn't have enough of a nightlife (or daylife).

Sure Santa Monica and Huntington Beach are awesome, but quite a bit more expensive. As for night life, do we even know if the OP is looking for nightlife? The ship will provide that. I would be happy staying in any of the cities mentioned, but for location and price Torrance is a great choice. NMnita ps no I didn't live in Torrance when we were still in LA area, but have spent much time there as my cousin still lives there.

I grew up in Torrance, graduated from high school (Go Spartans!) there, and my parents still live there. The area by Torrance beach is nice, but there are few large hotels there. I would never consider it a tourist destination. There are things in Torrance other than the refinery (yes, this is all you see from the freeway, but there is more to this town). I agree...Del Amo Mall has really gone down hill in the last few years. Yes, there are some OK chain restaurants near these hotels, but nothing you can't get elsewhere (Marie Calendar's, TGI Fridays, El Torito, etc. etc.). If you don't want to stay in Long Beach, I would lean toward one of the other Southbay cities where you can be on the beach (Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, etc.). Hermosa has some great unique restaurants especially. Also, consider further south from Long Beach...Seal Beach or Huntington Beach if you like to watch surfers, Laguna Beach if you like art, etc.

Maybe I've missed the point here. Someone was interested to know if Torrance was ok for one night. What I've read from everyone is really

is a Mac VS PC thing. 1. I've lived in SoCal all my life and I know all the places. Was this a question of what was the greatest place in the world to stay at any cost or how is Torrance for one night. What I can say is

were the hotel is, it is very safe and easy to find many places to eat of any kind of food and price ranges. It is max 5 min's to the Redondo pier or 10 -15 minutes to other beach area's like Rivera Village by Torrance beach or Hermosa.

No they don't have a zoo or aquarium. But the beach area is very nice and there are things to see and wonderfull coastline. California has a lot to offer. OC is very nice also. But can you find a place that fits your budget. Either way both is nice. Just having a little fun here on this post.

I love California

Also I live in Torrance - close to the beach - Don't believe what the in-landers are telling you. Houses sell in hours here, people fight to get their kids in our schools. We don't have slums in Torrance like Long Beach,

Nice Place oops took a wrong turn - run

Instead of staying in Torrance, on a budget, I would suggest Sunrise Hotel in Redondo Beach, it is inexpensive, at the beach, near the pier, and then turning in the rental car back at lax, and taking super Shuttle to San Pedro, instead of keeping the car at the port for a few days, and then have Super Shuttle take you back to LAX. This will save you a lot of money. Its about $30 Max each way.

The city pride thing has nothing to do with this. We have freinds from out of town that come and visit just for the sunsets at the beach!

If you question the driving time, just look it up on yahoo maps.

if you have a rental car. It's across the street from Del Amo Mall which is currently under re-construction (so half of the mall is under construction), but it's like any mall in the US, it has Macy's, Robinson and May as anchoring department stores. You'll find GAP, Gymboree, Old Navy, etc.... at that mall. Border's bookstore is next to the hotel.

It's not far from the San Pedro port, but this hotel is 10-15 minutes to Hwy110 and another 10 minutes on the Highway to get you to port.

Unless you can get this hotel for less than $70 night, you can probably get another hotel via Priceline for cheaper. If it's one-day precruise and you don't plan to go anywhere before the cruise, I would recommend you buy via Priceline for LAX hotel and just take a taxi the next morning to get to the San Pedro port. It'll be less than $100 for hotel and taxi fare.

BTW, I happen to like the Del Amo Mall and the area where Marriott Torrance is located. It's located at one corner of Hawthorne and Torrance. At the other 3 corners, you will find most of the chain restaurants you can think of--Denny's, Koo Ko Roo, Benihanas, Souplantations, etc.... There is an Albertson's nearby where you can stock up on juices and soda. For wine, you can go to Trader Joe's--a couple of miles down Hawthorne.

If you have already decided to stay at this hotel, then go for it. Post specific questions you may have about this hotel or your precruise stay at this hotel.

Thanks for all of your replies...they were a great help. I bid on the Marriott in Torrance & my bid was accepted at $60.00 for a 1 night pre-cruise stay. We will have a rental car if we want to drive anywhere, but we are mostly looking to rest up for the cruise. We are travelling from Virginia, so our 1 night pre-cruise stay is basically to stock up on "refreshments" and get a good night's sleep. Our night life will be on the cruise itself. I'm sure the Marriott will be fine....we just didn't want to spend over $100.00 for a hotel that was getting basically low reviews. Again, thanks for all of your help!

Thanks for all of your replies...they were a great help. I bid on the Marriott in Torrance & my bid was accepted at $60.00 for a 1 night pre-cruise stay. We will have a rental car if we want to drive anywhere, but we are mostly looking to rest up for the cruise. We are travelling from Virginia, so our 1 night pre-cruise stay is basically to stock up on "refreshments" and get a good night's sleep. Our night life will be on the cruise itself. I'm sure the Marriott will be fine....we just didn't want to spend over $100.00 for a hotel that was getting basically low reviews. Again, thanks for all of your help!

There is an Albertson's within walking distance of your hotel, so you can stock up on your refreshments. You will find tons of restaurants near your hotel. But you can always walk to Del Amo mall across the back of the hotel and eat at the food court there. Denny's is not far away, so that's a good place for breakfast. You don't really need to rent a car if you can get hotel shuttle or other shuttle service to ferry you between LAX-hotel-port for cheaper.

If you rent a car, tell the people at the car rental place to point you to Sepulveda (hwy 1) south. Drive all the way down Highway 1. About 5 miles down the road, Sepulveda becomes Pacific Coast Highway (name change, but you are still on the same road). Once you pass a big Redondo Beach Pier sign on your right, you'll start to see streets named after gem stones (Sapphire, Diamond, etc...) when you see Torrance Blvd, turn left onto Torrance Blvd. Go straight until you pass Hawthorne Blvd. The Marriott is on your right after you pass Hawthorne Blvd. It'll take you around 25 minutes (without traffic) on local roads to get you from LAX to your hotel.

HTH.

Archived