Best steaks on the Grand Princess

Buck Turgidson

I will be on the Grand for 10 day Mexico cruise 9/25.

Does the Crown Grill serve a Chicago style Tomahawk Porterhouse cut? No. I like my steaks charred on the outside and rare inside. Good Luck

Also, is the beef grass or corn fed beef? Don't know

Hormone, antibiotic free beef? Don't know.

USDA Grade Prime? No way.

It's been too many years since I've had beef in any of the Dining Rooms. So, I can't comment there.

Our last 4 or 5 cruises we have often dined in Crown Grill and Sabatini's. We have also done multiple Ultimate Balcony Dinners, and, on our last cruise, the Chef's Table.

Without a doubt the best beef I have had on these cruises was the Beef Tenderloin at the Chef's Table event--flavorful, tender and rare (the way I like it). That one was prepared and carved tableside. However, also served at the Chef's Table was a Roast Veal Shank, which, I suppose is, technically, also beef. The veal was, in fact, much more flavorful.

My experience with beef from Crown Grill, Sabatini's and, sadly, the UBD, has not been great. For the most part I find it chewy and lacking in flavor. If a particular dish is served with a sauce, I usually drown my serving with it in order to give it some flavor. There is no way you can convince me that the beef is USDA Prime. My guess is that it is Choice.

I once had Osso Buco at Sabatini's that was outstanding. They do not have it on the regular menu. It was a special that evening. On the flip side, however, I read a Cruise Critic post that the Osso Buco served at Sabatini's was terrible--nothing but fat. So, was I lucky, or was that other person unlucky?

That being said, we will continue to go to the Crown Grill/Sabatini's, we look forward to trying Share on our next cruise and we will continue to enjoy the UBD. I know what I will get, and I'm OK with it. The fact is that we feel we have a better dining experience in those venues than in the dining rooms.

A big problem with Crown Grill (or other steak venues on other ships) is that I can no longer eat a large steak. I really want to order the Ribeye as it's a steak I dearly love but I can't eat that much and hate just eating a bit and having the rest tossed out. I end up having to order the Filet Mignon as it's much smaller and, despite the fact that it's cooked perfectly and is extremely tender, it's not a flavorful cut of meat. I want one with good marbling and that cut is just too dang lean to suit me.

Edited by Thrak

It's been too many years since I've had beef in any of the Dining Rooms. So, I can't comment there.

Our last 4 or 5 cruises we have often dined in Crown Grill and Sabatini's. We have also done multiple Ultimate Balcony Dinners, and, on our last cruise, the Chef's Table.

Without a doubt the best beef I have had on these cruises was the Beef Tenderloin at the Chef's Table event--flavorful, tender and rare (the way I like it). That one was prepared and carved tableside. However, also served at the Chef's Table was a Roast Veal Shank, which, I suppose is, technically, also beef. The veal was, in fact, much more flavorful.

My experience with beef from Crown Grill, Sabatini's and, sadly, the UBD, has not been great. For the most part I find it chewy and lacking in flavor. If a particular dish is served with a sauce, I usually drown my serving with it in order to give it some flavor. There is no way you can convince me that the beef is USDA Prime. My guess is that it is Choice.

I once had Osso Buco at Sabatini's that was outstanding. They do not have it on the regular menu. It was a special that evening. On the flip side, however, I read a Cruise Critic post that the Osso Buco served at Sabatini's was terrible--nothing but fat. So, was I lucky, or was that other person unlucky?

That being said, we will continue to go to the Crown Grill/Sabatini's, we look forward to trying Share on our next cruise and we will continue to enjoy the UBD. I know what I will get, and I'm OK with it. The fact is that we feel we have a better dining experience in those venues than in the dining rooms.

Thanks.

I'm going to give Crown Grill a try on the Mexicco cruise. I've tried Sabatini's on my Alaska cruise, and enjoyed the main entree Lobster 3 ways, as well as the appetizers, and desert. Service was outstanding.

Also, want to try Crab Shack if offered.

Just curious, what does UBD stand for?

Absolutely, give Crown Grill a try.

UBD = Ultimate Balcony Dinner.

I think it's $50 per person. My complaint about the Filet Mignon notwithstanding, I can say without equivocation that it is the premier dining event on Princess. Multi-course meal on your balcony (easily moved into your cabin if weather is inclement), half-bottle of Champagne, cocktail for each person (we always opt for a glass of wine), two dedicated servers, flowers on the table that last for days afterward, an amazing dessert (and I am not a "dessert" guy), then, while you are scraping the last of the dessert off your plate, enjoying a coffee, and thinking that all that is left is for the servers to wish you a good evening, they bring a plate of Petit Fours (last time, they actually brought three plates), which can also last for days. I always bring my own wine. So, after we polish of the glasses that we'd ordered with the meal, we open up our own--red for me and white for Mrs. XBGuy. All in all, it's pretty decadent.

:D

Edited by XBGuy

I think it's $50 per person. My complaint about the Filet Mignon notwithstanding, I can say without equivocation that it is the premier dining event on Princess. Multi-course meal on your balcony (easily moved into your cabin if weather is inclement), half-bottle of Champagne, cocktail for each person (we always opt for a glass of wine), two dedicated servers, flowers on the table that last for days afterward, an amazing dessert (and I am not a "dessert" guy), then, while you are scraping the last of the dessert off your plate, enjoying a coffee, and thinking that all that is left is for the servers to wish you a good evening, they bring a plate of Petit Fours (last time, they actually brought three plates), which can also last for days. I always bring my own wine. So, after we polish of the glasses that we'd ordered with the meal, we open up our own--red for me and white for Mrs. XBGuy. All in all, it's pretty decadent.

Wow. That sounds great. Is the UBD online @ princess.com? Do you suppose I can get the beef filet charred on outside and rare on inside? Or should I ask for rare, and hope it is rare, and not medium/well done :eek::eek:

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Interestingly enough, you can't order the UBD on the web site.

HOWEVER, you can call Princess, get transferred over to the sales department and order it there. You will need to provide your booking number and a credit card number. It will be billed immediately.

I ordered prior to the cruise last time. It worked great. On departure day the Room Service Manager called and asked if he could come to our cabin and arrange details. Within minutes he was knocking on my door. Details include day and time in addition to menu items. When he discusses the entree, he will mention Filet Mignon, Lobster Tails or "Surf 'n' Turf." The Filet Mignon always works for me, and my wife always goes for the Lobster. However, other Cruise Critic posters have reported that they will work with you on the menu. So, I guess if you want Pork Chops or Sea Bass, it is entirely possible that they can provide it. I also assume that they will try very hard to accommodate your preparation instructions.

If you do not want to pre-pay, you can call the DINE line from your cabin on embarcation day and order at that time. I would recommend that you do so immediately on arrival to your cabin. There are only so many UBDs offered each evening. The sooner you get your name on the list, the better. The only advantage to ordering on embarcation day the charge will be on your cruise folio. So, you don't have to pay for it until after your cruise. I have also done it this way and it works fine.

Have a great cruise.

Interestingly enough, you can't order the UBD on the web site.

HOWEVER, you can call Princess, get transferred over to the sales department and order it there. You will need to provide your booking number and a credit card number. It will be billed immediately.

I ordered prior to the cruise last time. It worked great. On departure day the Room Service Manager called and asked if he could come to our cabin and arrange details. Within minutes he was knocking on my door. Details include day and time in addition to menu items. When he discusses the entree, he will mention Filet Mignon, Lobster Tails or "Surf 'n' Turf." The Filet Mignon always works for me, and my wife always goes for the Lobster. However, other Cruise Critic posters have reported that they will work with you on the menu. So, I guess if you want Pork Chops or Sea Bass, it is entirely possible that they can provide it. I also assume that they will try very hard to accommodate your preparation instructions.

If you do not want to pre-pay, you can call the DINE line from your cabin on embarcation day and order at that time. I would recommend that you do so immediately on arrival to your cabin. There are only so many UBDs offered each evening. The sooner you get your name on the list, the better. The only advantage to ordering on embarcation day the charge will be on your cruise folio. So, you don't have to pay for it until after your cruise. I have also done it this way and it works fine.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the help. I'll book Crown Grll and UBD when aboard. I'm a steak and seafood guy.. Steak and lobsters? :p

Edited by Kingofcool1947

A little off topic but I hope this might be helpful. My wife and I cruised aboard the Coral Princess last year and dined at Sabatini's. I enjoyed the porterhouse served with a choice of four different flavored salts. Hopefully, the Crown will offer something similar. Upon return I added smoked sea salt to our personal kitchen.

Thanks for the help. I'll book Crown Grll and UBD when aboard. I'm a steak and seafood guy.. Steak and lobsters? :p

FWIW, one of our favorite Crown Grill menu items is the Mussel Pot. We love sopping up the broth with rolls.

:)

A little off topic but I hope this might be helpful. My wife and I cruised aboard the Coral Princess last year and dined at Sabatini's. I enjoyed the porterhouse served with a choice of four different flavored salts. Hopefully, the Crown will offer something similar. Upon return I added smoked sea salt to our personal kitchen.

Personally, I found the "salts" a bit pretentious. :rolleyes:

Might be a dumb question but isnt salt, salt?

They do it on purpose ,so you will go to the Grill and pay extra;)

Think about it ,people used to get perfectly fine steak in the MDR ,now they can't cook a decent steak in the MDR ??? :rolleyes:

Cruisers created their own monster by paying extra ,for what we used to get included in our fare.

Reader

The steak in the MDR has never been close to the steak you get in the Crown or Sabatinis. Stopped ordering steak in MDR years ago.To even compare the 2 is like apples and oranges.

The crown has always offered the different salts on our last 4 cruises at least.

Might be a dumb question but isnt salt' date=' salt?[/quote']

Nope.

Salt is not just salt. For those in the know. ;)

My preferences are: Hawaiian Pink Sea Salt, Alaska Smoked Sea Salt.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/cooking-tips-techniques/cooking/six-types-salt

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Nope.

Salt is not just salt. For those in the know. ;)

My preferences are: Hawaiian Pink Sea Salt, Alaska Smoked Sea Salt.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/cooking-tips-techniques/cooking/six-types-salt

We have been offered the various salts for a several years or more. I have tried them and some are more "interesting" than others. However, if I have to add extra salt to my steak something is wrong...

I guess you can say that NaCl is NaCl, but any "salt" that you buy in a retail store or use in a restaurant has other components in addition to NaCl. The salt in the blue cardboard canister that you buy in the supermarket is "iodized." The Hawaiian sea salt that I've tried is more red than pink--iron oxide. Same with Himalayan Salt. I would imagine that any smoked salt is going to have bits of carbon in it.

Anyway, the different minerals added to the NaCl do provide various taste subtlies. Most of them escape me, but Mrs. XBGuy is able to tastes the differences.

We have been offered the various salts for a several years or more. I have tried them and some are more "interesting" than others. However, if I have to add extra salt to my steak something is wrong...

I think I'm on the same page with you, there, Thrak. I see the salt thing at Crown Grill to be an affectation. I guess it does distinguish them. I always pass. (My Dr. tells me that I am consuming plenty enough salt without adding any more. ;)) If other people enjoy it, then that is great.