Prepaid Grat

BNBR

We do not auto-tip - end of story!

We give out envelopes to the waiters and the room attendant at the end of the trip if everything was good.

We have the feeling that the tipping is done WAY too excessively and not really warranted for the service provided!

It is a mentality problem - people from the US believe in tipping everything and everybody no matter what - Europeans only tip when it is really warranted.

Tipping in the Windjammer - give me a break - it is self service all the way!

Big tips for cleaning the room? Why?

Towel animals? I do not need those....!

So we downscale our tipping to "the real thing" and not to the inflated throwing around of money....just like the cruise lines like it so they can save even more labour-cost....

To be fair, it's not about a "belief" or "mentality" - it's about a system of compensation. When you fail to tip a waiter in the US, often with the tip share and how that works - not only did the waiter not get compensated for providing you with service, but it's very possible the waiter PAID out of their own pocket for the pleasure of serving you.

Your personal opinions do not matter, it's customary and how compensation works for these positions.

I imagine it works similar on a cruise ship. I would NEVER stiff or reduce the tip to an employee who makes a living on tips. That's classless and quite frankly, kind of disgusting behavior. Which is why I'm curious how the actual compensation works.

You are not some hero because you downscale the gratuity to your room attendant. That's pretty sad, actually. I'm a bit shocked you would so openly brag about it.

Sadly, cruise lines are not going to change the wags they pay because you think they should. If they did pay higher wages, cruise fares would just go up - either way customers pay the wages (as with any business).

If I have understood you correctly you remove auto tips as a protest against this. That is very unfortunate, punishing the crew will do even less to change the cruise lines practice. If you don't agree with the cruise line operating model you should not do business with them. How do you think punishing those at the bottom is going to change things?

It's not really an attempt to change or protest anything. They know exactly what they are doing. It's a way to justify saving a few bucks on the back of hard working staff from third world countries.

[quote name=BekkaW;50760157

If I have understood you correctly you remove auto tips as a protest against this. That is very unfortunate' date=' punishing the crew will do even less to change the cruise lines practice. If you don't agree with the cruise line operating model you should not do business with them. How do you think punishing those at the bottom is going to change things?[/quote]

Forgive my unclear English. I do autotipping to make it easier. That way i dont have to think twice. But then i also will not tip more than autograts if everything feels standard level of service. I dont expect to be treated anything more than in Europe where we get good service without tipping.

It's not really an attempt to change or protest anything. They know exactly what they are doing. It's a way to justify saving a few bucks on the back of hard working staff from third world countries.

That sums it up pretty well. These servers that work on these ships depend greatly on the gratuities for their livelihood. They are working for months at a time, away from their families.

While this may initially look less attractive (affordable..?) at first glance, by including all taxes and gratuities in the cruise fares offered may put this eternal "Gratuities" debate to rest?

On one of our cruises (Mediterranean) we paid one fare/price (except for insurance, excursions, special dining, beverage packages) etc. while still giving us the opportunity to extra tip the dining room steward, cabin steward, and others who made our cruise a cruise filled with memories to last a lifetime.

On one of our cruises (Mediterranean) we paid one fare/price (except for insurance, excursions, special dining, beverage packages) etc. while still giving us the opportunity to extra tip the dining room steward, cabin steward, and others who made our cruise a cruise filled with memories to last a lifetime.

That is exactly the way we do it on all of our cruises. It is rare that we have a cabin steward, bartender(s) or servers that we feel do not deserve extra.

Forgive my unclear English. I do autotipping to make it easier. That way i dont have to think twice. But then i also will not tip more than autograts if everything feels standard level of service. I dont expect to be treated anything more than in Europe where we get good service without tipping.

Miryam, there is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving the automatic tips in place and adding nothing to that amount.

You have given what has been suggested.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

That is exactly the way we do it on all of our cruises. It is rare that we have a cabin steward, bartender(s) or servers that we feel do not deserve extra.

It's just too bad nobody here seems to know how the compensation actually gets distributed. When I leave the bartender an extra $2 for a drink, on the seapass/credit slip - does this just got to some general pool or to the bartender directly, for example.

I'm thinking they don't actually get the tip directly, based on some comments here and the attitude of the bartenders - who sometimes don't even hand out a slip to be signed. If they were getting the tip, I'd think they would be militant about handing out slips to everyone, just in case.

Oh well, I usually have a bartender that I make friends with on every cruise, I'll get the info from them next time. I may be inclined to bring more cash in smaller denominations if they get to keep the cash and not credit slips.

Edited by BNBR

It's just too bad nobody here seems to know how the compensation actually gets distributed. When I leave the bartender an extra $2 for a drink, on the seapass/credit slip - does this just got to some general pool or to the bartender directly, for example.

I'm thinking they don't actually get the tip directly, based on some comments here and the attitude of the bartenders - who sometimes don't even hand out a slip to be signed. If they were getting the tip, I'd think they would be militant about handing out slips to everyone, just in case.

Oh well, I usually have a bartender that I make friends with on every cruise, I'll get the info from them next time. I may be inclined to bring more cash in smaller denominations if they get to keep the cash and not credit slips.

My *understanding*, from multiple sources, is that $ put on the slip is pooled; cash may or may not be pooled, depending on the "agreement" that servers & bartenders at that location have.

My *understanding*, from multiple sources, is that $ put on the slip is pooled; cash may or may not be pooled, depending on the "agreement" that servers & bartenders at that location have.

Appreciate the insight. You are probably right. I'll ask next time around, I always have a great rapport with the service staff.

To be fair, it's not about a "belief" or "mentality" - it's about a system of compensation. When you fail to tip a waiter in the US, often with the tip share and how that works - not only did the waiter not get compensated for providing you with service, but it's very possible the waiter PAID out of their own pocket for the pleasure of serving you.

Your personal opinions do not matter, it's customary and how compensation works for these positions.

I imagine it works similar on a cruise ship. I would NEVER stiff or reduce the tip to an employee who makes a living on tips. That's classless and quite frankly, kind of disgusting behavior. Which is why I'm curious how the actual compensation works.

You are not some hero because you downscale the gratuity to your room attendant. That's pretty sad, actually. I'm a bit shocked you would so openly brag about it.

Funny some people spend their time worrying about what other people tip.Maybe you should worry more about what you tip.Royal has a system in place,We don't auto tips.We tip the people we want.Could care less what other people do are think.Have a great next cruise.:eek: :)

As an European coming from non-tipping environment I find this autotipping concept strange. First you state that a tip is to regognise good service and then you are supposed to tip people you dont actually see doing anything. How would you know if it is good or bad service? And also, with MTD you can have a great service team one night and totally horrible the next and yet you are autotipping both similarly. I would rather see cruiselines paying decent wages rather than expecting passengers to figure it out, therefore I opt autotipping and consider it as part of cruise fare. I dont care which country they come from or how big families they are supporting. My father in law used to work as chief engineer and he was away for 6-8 months supporting family of 7. it was his choise to work abroad.

I agree with you in concept and also opt out of autotipping. I have and will continue to tip based on the service received and will not cave in to all the righteousness out there. If one's guilt is so bad they can tip to their hearts desire, so for all the trolls out there feel to attack me and those who do not agree with you.

To Insure Prompt Service (TIPS)

We are not clear on that point, so we usually pay in cash. We always find bartenders at various bars that we seek out. Some just seem to like their jobs more and enjoy the interaction. Some will walk by your empty glass, even when they aren't busy.

In cruising, as in life, there are a lot of cheapskates. :)

Edited by packercruising

Your English is excellent! No need to apologise 🙂 I agree the auto tips are easier and one should feel pressured to pay more than that