tourist visa

janyyqin

I am taking my mother to Panama Canal cruise in October. My mother owns Chinese passport. She is also the legal permanent resident of the United States. The ports that we will stop by will be Guatemala, Columbia, and Costa Rica. I have been trying to find out if I need to apply the tourist visa for her. I can't get any help or advice from NCL. What should I do? Should I take her to those different country consulate in Los Angeles to apply for visa? In what route should I ask for advice?

I am taking my mother to Panama Canal cruise in October. My mother owns Chinese passport. She is also the legal permanent resident of the United States. The ports that we will stop by will be Guatemala, Columbia, and Costa Rica. I have been trying to find out if I need to apply the tourist visa for her. I can't get any help or advice from NCL. What should I do? Should I take her to those different country consulate in Los Angeles to apply for visa? In what route should I ask for advice?

If you aren't stopping in the Panama Canal , no visa will be required. If the consulates are close to you. Why not call and ask them directly.

This might also help

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Chinese_citizens#Visa_requirements_map

Not sure whether the passport is Peoples Republic of China or Taiwanese, but here goes.

Neither country's passport holders need a "stamped visa" for Panama if the person is a US green card holder.

Costa Rica grants automatic visa for US green card holders, upon arrival.

US green card gives no exemption to Columbian visa requirements, and don't know about Chinese passport holder visas.

All this is general travel information, cruise ship clearance tends to be different in many countries. I would call the embassies/consulates for clarification.

I will check it for you tomorrow at work.

However, bear in mind that immigration rules which apply today may be completely different in a few months.

I'll get back to you as soon as I have the info.

Oh, yes, OP should wait for an anonymous poster on CC to get back to him/her - or perhaps might follow the suggestion about contacting relevant consulates to get information.

Oh, yes, OP should wait for an anonymous poster on CC to get back to him/her - or perhaps might follow the suggestion about contacting relevant consulates to get information.

Fyi, if you've followed other visa/passport threads, you'd know I handle passport and visa issues at work. Don't just assume people reply without any knowledge.

Lighten up, geez.

Edited by headhunterke

Fyi, if you've followed other visa/passport threads, you'd know I handle passport and visa issues at work. Don't just assume people reply without any knowledge.

Lighten up, geez.

Not sure what you mean by "handle passport and visa issues at work". Do you work for an embassy/consulate/USCIS?

Do you really want to take on the responsibility of advising strangers in this very important matter? So many variables to consider and you would not know if OP left out any pertinent info.

I see it like a legal secretary/lawyer handing out legal advice - bad idea.

Personally - sending them to appropriate place/website/documents/contacts is a better way to help.

Edited by CapeCodCruiser

I don't work for an embassy or consulate. But I am appointed (yes, by law, in case you wondered) to take decisions whether or not a certain travel document (both passports and/or visa) suffices to travel.

Do you really think I wouldn't ask any further information if the Timatic (the bible for passport & visa) would give an unclear response with the info OP gave?

Trust me, I see enough people being left behind because their local instances give them wrong or outdated information. Maybe things in the US are different, but I've seen people from all over the world holding papers (given out by local officials) stating they need travel documents A & B while in fact they need A, B & C. While that info might have been correct at one point, it was no longer the case when they traveled. These things can change every month.

You'll have to take my word for it, but when it comes to passport and visa questions, I'm one of the few people on CC who is able to give a crystal clear answer to them.

I'm wondering what made you think I'd be giving out unclear or false information.

I don't work for an embassy or consulate. But I am appointed (yes, by law, in case you wondered) to take decisions whether or not a certain travel document (both passports and/or visa) suffices to travel.

Do you really think I wouldn't ask any further information if the Timatic (the bible for passport & visa) would give an unclear response with the info OP gave?

Trust me, I see enough people being left behind because their local instances give them wrong or outdated information. Maybe things in the US are different, but I've seen people from all over the world holding papers (given out by local officials) stating they need travel documents A & B while in fact they need A, B & C. While that info might have been correct at one point, it was no longer the case when they traveled. These things can change every month.

You'll have to take my word for it, but when it comes to passport and visa questions, I'm one of the few people on CC who is able to give a crystal clear answer to them.

I'm wondering what made you think I'd be giving out unclear or false information.

I never said you would be giving out unclear or false info. I said that it is possible the OP may not provide all the pertinents.

If you are comfortable giving this advice - by all means - I am certain most will appreciate it.

Would you be among the few here who would actually follow up?

Would you be among the few here who actually have knowledge in this area?

I never said you would be giving out unclear or false info. I said that it is possible the OP may not provide all the pertinents.

If you are comfortable giving this advice - by all means - I am certain most will appreciate it.

Would you be among the few here who would actually follow up?

I don't respond to many threads, but the ones I do engage in, I follow until the issue is resolved or a solution has been found

Would you be among the few here who actually have knowledge in this area?

I most certainly am.

Passport and visa requirements may seem a complicated matter, but if you have the knowledge, the answers are very straightforward.

Edited by headhunterke