Carnival diving in Belize- all trips cancelled

lhargrove62

I just found out that Carnival has cancelled all diving excursions in Belize-until the end of the year. Does anyone have a suggestion for a dive shop in Belize? We sail in 38 days so I am a bit nervous about this. thanks

What gives? Is this a Carnival thing, or something wonky with the diving?

any clues?

Hugh Parkey Dive was the cruise ship dive op, and they have decided to go out of business. Nothing to do with Carnival, it was the dive op that picked up at all cruise ships, so everyone is now in the same boat, no pun intended.

No clue which dive op is now going to pick up the gig. Haven't heard any rumors. Hugh Parkey has been doing it for years and years.

What gives? Is this a Carnival thing, or something wonky with the diving?

any clues?

Apparently Hugh Parkey's Belize Dive Connection has gone out of business. According to their facebook page:

The owners of Hugh Parkey’s Belize Dive Connection have decided to focus their management and business efforts on the operation of the existing Hugh Parkey’s Belize Adventure Lodge on Spanish Lookou...t Caye located approximately nine miles east of Belize City. Hugh Parkey’s Belize Dive Connection has enjoyed an ideal relationship with the SunBreeze Hotel and the SunBreeze Suites and has been grateful for the opportunity to serve them and their clients. Hugh Parkey’s Belize Dive Connection will be closing its shop at the end of the business day on May 31, 2016.

Hopefully someone will buy the business and they can work with the cruise lines again. This is the one port my husband likes to dive with the ship's excursion due to the long tender ride into port.

I'm surprised Hugh Parkey would give up a lucrative dive business like that. We went with them once because we wanted to dive Teneriffe. Seasports Belize goes there, too, but their boats are pangas and much slower. They even suggested that we use Hugh Parkey. I much preferred Seaports Belize to Hugh Parkey, it was a much more personalized service.

What long tender ride, 10 minutes at most? I always have to laugh when people complain about the tender ride at Belize. They are very nice, fast tenders and it's a good ride in. I complain about having to stand in line for the tenders, much worse than the actual tender ride.

BTW, Seasports Belize returns you to the dock after diving, you don't have to walk back from their shop. They will respond, they have always been good about that. I bet the hurricane has caused some problems.

I'm surprised Hugh Parkey would give up a lucrative dive business like that. We went with them once because we wanted to dive Teneriffe. Seasports Belize goes there, too, but their boats are pangas and much slower. They even suggested that we use Hugh Parkey. I much preferred Seaports Belize to Hugh Parkey, it was a much more personalized service.

What long tender ride, 10 minutes at most? I always have to laugh when people complain about the tender ride at Belize. They are very nice, fast tenders and it's a good ride in. I complain about having to stand in line for the tenders, much worse than the actual tender ride.

BTW, Seasports Belize returns you to the dock after diving, you don't have to walk back from their shop. They will respond, they have always been good about that. I bet the hurricane has caused some problems.

Always seems longer to me than 10 minutes. Oh well, just his preference. We don't sail until December, so I guess we'll wait until it's closer to see what the cruiseline has available then look into Seasports Belize.

• 5 weeks later...