Montego Bay vs Mahogany Bay help me decide!

cortneyward

We are looking at cruises for early 2017 and have settled on a 7 day on the Dream. It will be my husbands first cruise, my 3rd but first 7 day. I have been to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Progresso and Cozumel. I would love to go back to Ocho Rios/GC but the only sailing is immediately after dry dock, which I have been advised might not be a great idea. So that leaves Montego Bay/GC/Cozumel or Mohagany Bay/Belize/Cozumel. Which would you choose? For what it's worth, we wouldn't want to just stay on ship at any port

My vote would be for the Mahogany Bay one. We were on the Dream over New Year's and went to Montego Bay. I thought it was way overpriced for taxis and beach access. I'm not sure what happened to the days of $1 Red Stripes but $25 for a bucket of 4 on the beach was crazy!

Mahogany bay is beautiful and there are some fun excursions to do there.

Mahogany bay can easily walk to the beach and very little hassling and no extra cost for either.

Montego Bay have to pay for taxi and than pay for beach and people will be trying to sell you stuff that can lead to a much longer and unpleasant stay in Jamaica

We are looking at cruises for early 2017 and have settled on a 7 day on the Dream. It will be my husbands first cruise, my 3rd but first 7 day. I have been to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Progresso and Cozumel. I would love to go back to Ocho Rios/GC but the only sailing is immediately after dry dock, which I have been advised might not be a great idea. So that leaves Montego Bay/GC/Cozumel or Mohagany Bay/Belize/Cozumel. Which would you choose? For what it's worth, we wouldn't want to just stay on ship at any port

I like the Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel itinerary better. I do not like Belize and I try to avoid itineraries that stop there. There are great beaches and shopping in Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Not great shopping in Belize or Mahogany Bay.

I look at it this way - in Montego Bay you will get a real experience - it's a port with a building and some taxis... You end up in downtown mo bay or at the beach or wherever, but it's real....

In mahogany bay, you are in the cruise line version of Disney world. Before carnival came in and bought the area, the beach was a private club and nothing else was there...now it's a fabrication of what they think Roatan should be... If you go there, make sure you get out of the gates and see the island... It's a beautiful island... One of my favorites... Just don't stay in mahogany bay.....

My vote would be for the Mahogany Bay one. We were on the Dream over New Year's and went to Montego Bay. I thought it was way overpriced for taxis and beach access. I'm not sure what happened to the days of $1 Red Stripes but $25 for a bucket of 4 on the beach was crazy!

Mahogany bay is beautiful and there are some fun excursions to do there.

Not to hijack this post but I will be in Montego Bay in December on the Dream and can't find out much about it. We've been to Jamaica but not on a cruise. Were there taxis waiting the pier? Do you know if there is a hop on hop off bus?

Need to get out of Mahogany Bay and take am excursion to West Bay/Tabyana Beach. Great snorkeling there...

Unless you actually want to experience just a little bit of Roatan... If that's the case, get out of Mahogany bay... Quickly...RUN.

Not to hijack this post but I will be in Montego Bay in December on the Dream and can't find out much about it. We've been to Jamaica but not on a cruise. Were there taxis waiting the pier? Do you know if there is a hop on hop off bus?

This is kind of where we are at. I went to Ocho Rios and enjoyed it (except for the people constantly trying to sell us drugs!). I'd love to go back to the falls, but don't want to go on a 4 hour round trip bus ride to do so. We can't really find much else to do.

Have you picked what to do in GC yet? Stingray city is a great experience of you haven't been yet!

Hands down for me would be Roatan... Mahogany Bay is just CCL port there and they would prefer you would stay there. Get out and see the island.

West Bay Beach is a great beach with nice snorkeling... see it while it is still nice. Lots of other places to go any activities to do.

I have been to both as land vacations, no desire to go back to Montego Bay, but will be back to Roatan sometime in the future.

This is kind of where we are at. I went to Ocho Rios and enjoyed it (except for the people constantly trying to sell us drugs!). I'd love to go back to the falls, but don't want to go on a 4 hour round trip bus ride to do so. We can't really find much else to do.

Have you picked what to do in GC yet? Stingray city is a great experience of you haven't been yet!

We have booked Stingray City-it looks fantastic.

We took the hop on hop off bus which only runs about every 30 minutes and was about $ 20 pp as I recall.

Took it as a bit of a tour and it dropped us off at Dr Cove (sp) beach where we spent about 3 hours before taking bus back to the port.

I will be going to Roatan this time to Little French Key. Looks somewhat like paradise. I have been to Montego Bay 2x. I went on an excursion that was an hour ride inland. Feared for my life on that bus ride! They do not fear death and maiming from head on collisions! For real. Next trip to Jamaica we took a taxi to Scotchies which took about 10 minutes or so but we were always close to the ocean and not inland. We loved that place and red stripe was $2 a bottle. We had several and had fun trying the side dishes. We ordered everything on the menu and spent less than $50. All types of inexpensive authentic food in an outdoor/ indoor type dive. Went next door and bought my girls sun dresses in a gift shop next door. Did have to refuse drugs outside in the parking lot but that is Jamaica. Stopped in at margaritaville to say we did then went back to the boat fat and happy. But Jamaica is real life. Mahogany Bay is not. It kind of depends on what you like to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums