Grandeur Jul 30; My 2 cents worth

Just returned home and I am rocking and rolling at my desk... partially because there was a lot of movement the last night before we entered the Chesapeake Bay.

Grandeur is in great shape for the age. We had no problem with the ship itself. I found that park Cafe was in a very awkward place and felt like it should have been more centrally located. It was an afterthought for sure... or "hey, lets just stick it here."

The staff were very friendly... great service! Food was typical RCCL... some things we liked, some things we didn't but food was no worse or no better than any other RCCL ship we have been on.

We really have no complaints because we knew going in, it was an older, smaller ship. We wanted some time for R&R... with no schedules and we achieved that. My biggest concern was there were first time RCCL families with kids who had unhappy kids because of the lack of activities, or no energy activities. I tried to tell them not to assume all RCCL ships are that way... Oasis class and even Freedom are far better.

With that being said, I am betting that RCCL doesn't know that Paul Rudder is a cruise director on Grandeur. He is a great guy, we talked to him some, but he just lacks the energy that every other CD we've experienced. He seems more like the cruise funeral director. On the other hand, Andre (activities manager) was very entertaining and he should be promoted to CD in my opinion... I told him that on the way out!

The delay this AM arriving was no big deal to us as we were driving. I'm sure several people were more inconvienenced because of re-aranging flights, etc.

If anyone happened to be on this cruise, I'm sure your saw and ran into the 82 year old who "had fun wherever she went". She was an absolute ball and one can only hope they can have that much fun at 82. I will always remember her! I talked to her several times throughout the week.

One more thing that comes to mind was the rude lady in Windjammer who totally blessed out a couple waiters for moving her sea pass and Starbucks cup off the table she was saving. She was adamant that she put them there and the waiters moved them. They tried to tell her that no one moved them and those people had been sitting there for a few minutes. Still, she continued to humiliate them. She was just a total ASS. I felt so bad for the waiters. They were great and had given us great service just moments before. I watched as she stormed off ]. She looked around and then realized her sea pass and Starbucks cup were safe... just totally opposite of where she was... and no... she didn't offer an apology. It was so much of a scene that an officer came up to the guests at that table and talked to them about the situation.

With that being said, I am betting that RCCL doesn't know that Paul Rudder is a cruise director on Grandeur. He is a great guy, we talked to him some, but he just lacks the energy that every other CD we've experienced. He seems more like the cruise funeral director. On the other hand, Andre (activities manager) was very entertaining and he should be promoted to CD in my opinion... I told him that on the way out!

One more thing that comes to mind was the rude lady in Windjammer who totally blessed out a couple waiters for moving her sea pass and Starbucks cup off the table she was saving. She was adamant that she put them there and the waiters moved them. They tried to tell her that no one moved them and those people had been sitting there for a few minutes. Still, she continued to humiliate them. She was just a total ASS. I felt so bad for the waiters. They were great and had given us great service just moments before. I watched as she stormed off ]. She looked around and then realized her sea pass and Starbucks cup were safe... just totally opposite of where she was... and no... she didn't offer an apology. It was so much of a scene that an officer came up to the guests at that table and talked to them about the situation.

Glad you had a good time on Lady G. I bet the Grandeur was rocking when John and Katrina Blair were on. We just missed them in March and had Paul Rutter as CD. I feel the same as you.

I absolutely hate when people go off on the staff and she should have apologized. There is no reason to do that to anyone and if there is an issue take it aside with an Officer.

Theresa

Edited by psupa

Great trip report, thank you! We leave later this month on the Grandeur. Did you happen to notice if drink cards were sold? We're not inclined to do the packages but the punch card is intriguing. If offered, how early in the cruise did it come out?

My understanding is that there's a Kids club onboard. Why were the kids you observed unhappy?

Thank you again!

Great trip report, thank you! We leave later this month on the Grandeur. Did you happen to notice if drink cards were sold? We're not inclined to do the packages but the punch card is intriguing. If offered, how early in the cruise did it come out?

My understanding is that there's a Kids club onboard. Why were the kids you observed unhappy?

Thank you again!

I was reading another review of Grandeur (YorkVillian's-AMAZING...if you want a good laugh, have a gander). But anyway.. He mentioned that he never saw the card advertised, but asked a bartender. The bartender asked an officer, but was able to get the card. $89.95+18% for 10 drinks.

HTH!

Just returned home and I am rocking and rolling at my desk... partially because there was a lot of movement the last night before we entered the Chesapeake Bay.

Grandeur is in great shape for the age. We had no problem with the ship itself. I found that park Cafe was in a very awkward place and felt like it should have been more centrally located. It was an afterthought for sure... or "hey, lets just stick it here."

The staff were very friendly... great service! Food was typical RCCL... some things we liked, some things we didn't but food was no worse or no better than any other RCCL ship we have been on.

We really have no complaints because we knew going in, it was an older, smaller ship. We wanted some time for R&R... with no schedules and we achieved that. My biggest concern was there were first time RCCL families with kids who had unhappy kids because of the lack of activities, or no energy activities. I tried to tell them not to assume all RCCL ships are that way... Oasis class and even Freedom are far better.

The delay this AM arriving was no big deal to us as we were driving. I'm sure several people were more inconvienenced because of re-aranging flights, etc.

If anyone happened to be on this cruise, I'm sure your saw and ran into the 82 year old who "had fun wherever she went". She was an absolute ball and one can only hope they can have that much fun at 82. I will always remember her! I talked to her several times throughout the week.

The Park Café IS an afterthought. It was added a couple of years ago during Grandeur's last drydock.

Actually the Park Café has been there for quite a while (I won't go so far as to say since the beginning):D. When we were on GOS in 2006 (our first RCCL cruise) it was called the Solarium Cafe;).

It's not the same as the Solarium Café. It is an expanded version.

And my point is, it WAS an "afterthought", i.e., not originally on the ship.

Actually the Park Café has been there for quite a while (I won't go so far as to say since the beginning):D. When we were on GOS in 2006 (our first RCCL cruise) it was called the Solarium Cafe;).

The late night offerings were better when Park Cafe was the Solarium Cafe.

Nothing like greasy fries and a burger to calm a drunken stomach... so I hear! :D

The late night offerings were better when Park Cafe was the Solarium Cafe.

Nothing like greasy fries and a burger to calm a drunken stomach... so I hear! :D

Hahaha. I think I read that someplace too!

Ma-dog74 thanks for the review. Who uses a Sea Pass to save a table?? :rolleyes:

Thank you again!

I did observe a couple drink cards... I hear that they are selective and you have to find the right bartender who will sell you one. TONS of people now have the drink packages. I also commented several times that I feel that through the years, bar service is a lot slower because of the drink packages... not so much because of the amount of drinks, but I think it is because of tips... I saw very few people leave an additional tip. Without the package you would be more inclined to tip an extra buck here and there. That's just my take on it. Drinks were still great, strong, bartenders were friendly... just seemed a little slower now to get waited on.

There was a kids club. From the few people I talked to, there just wasn't a lot of FUN stuff planned to keep them entertained. It was nothing like the AO on Freedom or Allure for sure.

I'm always glad to read another take on the Grandeur of the Seas.

Reinforces my belief that she is the worst ship in the fleet! :D

I would disagree... she may be one of the older ships, but she is in good shape. The CD was the worst in the fleet. I have nothing bad to say about the ship. She's great for what she is... If you are wanting R&R then Grandeur is of you, if you want activity, and on the go all the time, then Oasis class may be better.

Edited by mad-dog74

We are leaving in 12 days on the Grandeur for a 9 day Bermuda-Bahama cruise. Not too excited about Nassau but ports really are not that important to my DH and me since we love the cruise experience. This will be our first RCCI cruise as Diamond Members so that is exciting for us. We like the smaller, quieter ships too. We also find eating in the Windjammer for supper very relaxing and much quieter than the Main Dining Room. We rarely go to the Dinning Room. We are just a couple of old people who enjoy peace and quiet and relaxing and people watching. This is our first time on the Grandeur and we are looking forward to it. One question. Do they show movies anyplace on sea days?

.....We also find eating in the Windjammer for supper very relaxing and much quieter than the Main Dining Room. We rarely go to the Dinning Room. We are just a couple of old people who enjoy peace and quiet and relaxing and people watching. This is our first time on the Grandeur and we are looking forward to it. One question. Do they show movies anyplace on sea days?

Movies are shown in the Palladium Theater on sea day afternoons. They will also show movies a couple of nights on the pool deck big screen. I've only sailed on Grandeur, but I have found the MDR the quieter of two between that and Windjammer, especially on sea days.

We are leaving in 12 days on the Grandeur for a 9 day Bermuda-Bahama cruise. Not too excited about Nassau but ports really are not that important to my DH and me since we love the cruise experience. This will be our first RCCI cruise as Diamond Members so that is exciting for us. We like the smaller, quieter ships too. We also find eating in the Windjammer for supper very relaxing and much quieter than the Main Dining Room. We rarely go to the Dinning Room. We are just a couple of old people who enjoy peace and quiet and relaxing and people watching. This is our first time on the Grandeur and we are looking forward to it. One question. Do they show movies anyplace on sea days?

I can do Windjammer some... but after 2-3x I am ready for the main dining room... ready to be waited on. Windjammer can be crowed and chaos unless you find the off-peak times to go.

We have found the Windjammer very quiet at supper time. Most everyone on the ship goes to the Main Dinning Room and there are very few who use the Windjammer at supper time. I'll admit that Breakfast and lunch times are very busy there but not at supper time. They dim the lights and play soft music and it is really nice. We have found the Main Dinning Room to be very noisy and a lot of waiters and helpers moving around in between tables serving and cleaning up. Last year, we were seated at a table for two in the Main Dinning Room on the Brilliance of the Sea right next to the Hostess Station and across from a bussing station. It was horrible. We had MTD reservation for the entire 10 day cruise and only ate one night there. Neither of us enjoyed the meal. I know it to each his own as far as dining but we truly love eating supper at the Windjammer. Each evening, the head of the Windjammer would come by our table to make sure we had found everything we needed and if we needed anything else. Our ice tea glasses never went dry. The service people were on the ball removing dirty dishes and keeping the area neat and clean. Most everything that is on the Main Dinning Room menue is available in the Windjammer. Just saying we love eating in the Windjammer. We usually go to the MDR on sea days for the wonderful salad bar that they do on those days.

I would disagree... she may be one of the older ships, but she is in good shape. The CD was the worst in the fleet. I have nothing bad to say about the ship. She's great for what she is... If you are wanting R&R then Grandeur is of you, if you want activity, and on the go all the time, then Oasis class may be better.

If you check the signature for Biomedbob... you will see he said this is jest... (he doesn't want the secret of how grand she really is to get out!)