Viking Transfer from Prague to BudaPest

Music Cruiser

I have not done this particular pre cruise, but I have found Viking very organized and helpful.

when you get off the plane there will be a Viking rep with you name, once you get to the hotel there will be a Viking desk, they will hand you all the information you need and be able to answer your questions. We had only breakfast included which we could go through any times. We were impressed.

Call up Viking and ask about the transfer. It looks like its about 4 or 5 hours, maybe more. We did a pre tour of Prague then transfer to Passau which I think was about 2 hours. There was a guide with us and he was very nice, he told us about things we passed and about history. We made one stop for the bathrooms and some snacks. We traveled on the weekend so there were no trucks on the roads.

7-8 hours wow. what alternatives are there? a train? plane? is it scenic?

It is about a 5 hour drive, which becomes 7-8 hours because of the stops every 2 hours.

Only one airline operates a direct flight on that route but the planes are regional aircraft and too small to be practical for this transfer.

Indirect flights are at best about the same time as driving and in some cases a lot worse.

The train is no faster taking about 8 hours.

thanks for that info. just had a look on Google maps yes it is quite a distance.

Vienna would be closer/easier? or a place in Germany. Prague looks an interesting historic place to visit. perhaps fly in/out rather than via a bus.

We are doing a Viking Pre Cruise in Prague. Transfer to Budapest is included in cost.

I assumed that was the case, this is one of those occasions where there really isn't a much better way of doing the transfer and at least by road you'll get to see more of the countries you pass through.

yes I think many of the operators offer an extension/land content for Prague.

I was thinking more in terms of the duration of the bus transfer rather than the cost. plus what the experience would be like in terms of scenery.

often the travel is mainly on motorways with minimal vistas of the countryside or towns.

We've hired a driver and guide from Budapest to Prague with a 3 - 4 hr stop in Bratislava. Following our 3 days in Prague, we're doing the same with a long stop in Cesky Krumlov on our way to Munich. The nonstop flights weren't at the times that worked for us plus it was a lot of downtime when we could be experiencing the countryside rather than airports.

• 4 years later...
On 8/12/2016 at 8:19 AM, MERLOTCHAMPAGNE said:

We've hired a driver and guide from Budapest to Prague with a 3 - 4 hr stop in Bratislava. Following our 3 days in Prague, we're doing the same with a long stop in Cesky Krumlov on our way to Munich. The nonstop flights weren't at the times that worked for us plus it was a lot of downtime when we could be experiencing the countryside rather than airports.

Hello, any chance that you recall the driver you hired?  Thank you. Tick Tock to the dock.

Take the train.  First class will be less than a driver or Viking transfer.  Did that several years ago Budapest to Prague.  Met really great people to include an American woman who was with her teenage son and told stories how she did that will all her children.  Great Locals as well.  Comfortable and convenient.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 6:15 PM, tick tock to the dock said:

Hello, any chance that you recall the driver you hired?  Thank you. Tick Tock to the dock.

Hi, sorry for the delay.  We got a new dog a month ago and looking at CC got put on the back burner.  

We used Nina as our guide and her husband as our driver from Budapest to PrGue with a stop in Bratislava and a few days later from Prague to Munich with a stop in Cesky Krumlov.  She was a wonderful guide throughout and he was safe and experienced driver throughout our stay.  We highly recommend them. 

https://www.ninapragueguide.com/about_me.html

• 1 year later...

To anyone that has previously taken the Viking supplied transfer from Prague to Budapest, do you remember the route you took?  Specifically looking to see if it goes through Slovakia at all and, if so, did you have to do anything specific to cross that border?