RomeINLimo

rs12065

We are currently booked with RomeINLimo for 3 ports in Italy. If anyone has used them or a similar private tour, how much did you tip the driver? We will be 2 couples in one car.

Italy doesn't have a tipping culture like the US. Individuals like drivers and guides are paid a fair wage.

Although some agencies will try to convince you differently, there is no "need" to tip. If you want to offer a token tip to show your satisfaction, then that is up to you. I wouldn't say more than 5%.

We have always been thrilled with our romeinlimo drivers. We have always tipped them between 5-10 percent. My DH tends to overtip because he hates to see some people stiff any servers. We do know the tipping culture is different but he feels better with his method.

We also tip motel/hotel maids. None of our friends do. It's just how we roll.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have always been thrilled with our romeinlimo drivers. We have always tipped them between 5-10 percent. My DH tends to overtip because he hates to see some people stiff any servers. We do know the tipping culture is different but he feels better with his method.

We also tip motel/hotel maids. None of our friends do. It's just how we roll.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not to put you on the spot, but how are you "stiffing" someone if they are making a living wage -- they are not expected to supplement their income with tips like in the US.

I understand that it doesn't feel natural, but shouldn't we respect the culture and mores of the places we visit? After all, we expect people from other cultures to follow OUR tipping practices when they visit the US. I'm sure they would feel "better" doing what they do at home too....

Italy doesn't have a tipping culture like the US. Individuals like drivers and guides are paid a fair wage.

Although some agencies will try to convince you differently, there is no "need" to tip. If you want to offer a token tip to show your satisfaction, then that is up to you. I wouldn't say more than 5%.

Is just very personal, I am European, I live in Europe, I travel a lot and I always tip when traveling :rolleyes:

Edited by samavarcruiser

We are currently booked with RomeINLimo for 3 ports in Italy. If anyone has used them or a similar private tour, how much did you tip the driver? We will be 2 couples in one car.

By the way, there is a huge thread all about RomeInLimo here on this same page and all of your questions are answered!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986987