First time cruiser

boozy.bird

Hi

I wonder if any one can help me get my head around the drinks package for Holland America ships please..... I have spoken to friends that have cruised with other lines but they have confused me even more..... I would be grateful for an 'idiots' guide through it ...thank you

Hi

I wonder if any one can help me get my head around the drinks package for Holland America ships please..... I have spoken to friends that have cruised with other lines but they have confused me even more..... I would be grateful for an 'idiots' guide through it ...thank you

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You may also want to ask your question in the forum dedicated to Holland here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

More folks on that forum with experience on Holland.

Good luck!

Hi

Don't listen to people who have sailed other lines, they all do things differently.

Hi

You have come to the right place.;);)

Edited by mrs and mrs
spelling

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

If you are asking about the drink package that comes with the Explore4 promotion which is on right now, this is how it works. You can get no more than 15 drinks a day that are no more than $8 each. You can get glasses of wine, specialty coffees, alcoholic drinks, sodas, and/or bottled water with the package. You cannot get more than one drink at a time.

Did you get the Signature Drink Package through the Explore4 program?

If not and you are considering buying the package, remember that each person over the age of 21 in the same cabin must buy the package. No sharing!!

The wines covered in the package are house wines -- none of the good stuff.

Most of all drinks and the cocktail of the day are under $8. The package will not cover the expensive alcohols.

We were given the Explore4 package one time and I kept track of the drinks and their cost that we had. We could not get close to the 15 drink limit per day per person. So for us it is not worth the cost of buying the package.

I agree with the person who said that all of the cruise lines do it differently. (So don't as a friend who cruised on Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, RCCL, etc. about the HAL plan.)

When I booked my cruise, the Explore4 was not in effect, so I had to decided if buying the package would be wise for me.

This is what I did:

specialty coffee

bottled water (x2) to take off the ship for excursions

coffee or soda upon returning

soda/beer with lunch

soda with dinner (I'm not a wine drinker)

Drink of the day

trying new adult beverage(s) maybe 2 or 3 a day (more on sea days - I don't have to drive home)

choosing old stand by when the new to me is not to my taste

That is about 11 drinks per day off the top of my head - I can easily see that number climb especially with the coffee/soda/bottled water portion

So I would have purchased it. :)

Luckily, my TA was able to add Explore4 to my booking.