Gem Carribean Excursion Advice

Medtech2

I will be posting in the port section also but for those of you familiar with the Gem out of Puerto Rico it is very port intensive. A different port each day and we have the $50/port promo so will be limited to NCL excursions.

Since we may never return to these ports (you never know) if you had to pick ONE must do, what would it be? Port times are listed as 8:00 to 5:00. We are open to all types of excursions, wanting to make sure we don't miss what is most memorable for each destination. In other words, although I love to snorkel I would not want to waste time snorkelling at a destination where that is poor, etc.

Bridgetown, Barbados (never been)

Fort-de-France, Martinique (never been)

Basseterre, St. Kitts (never been)

Philipsburg, St. Maarten (spent 2 weeks here but what would you do?)

St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands (have done Trunk Bay and Buck Island, loved the turtles at Buck Island)

In Barbados, they have a Concode on display in a huge hanger. If you take the tour to the Concorde, you will be allowed to climb up in it and sit for a bit in one of passenger seats. Two seats on each side, very very small space hardly head room. The reason the Barbados has one is that the Concorde used to fly to Barbados every Saturday. It is something to see. would love to go back.

• 1 month later...

We are on the same cruise that you are doing. Beth and I have booked something to do in every port except Martinique. We tried to mix it up some as doing snorkeling and swimming can get tiring. In Barbados, we are doing the coast to coast scenic drive. St. Kitts is the Fortress National Park and Gardens, St. Maarten is the Golden Eagle Sailaway. St. Thomas, we are going over to St. John's. But not sure what you like to do. I'm getting older now, so I can't do to many "party tours". LOL

Barbados- need to take a snorkeling tour to swim with the turtles. Several companies will provide this. Check the port boards for references

Martinique- we enjoyed just walking around and going to the market Theres a really awesome church made out of metal

St Martin- always go to Orient

St Kitts-think we did ship excursion to see the island and watch how they made batik OK but not great

St Thomas- I still like Maegans Bay though can be crowded if a lot of ships in port. Is inexpensive day

We are on this cruise in December and I was just looking at excursions as well. I am obsessed with turtles, so swimming with turtles is a must, but we are pretty open otherwise. Does anyone have any experience with Bernard's St. Maarten Tours? I vacationed in St. Maarten years ago and enjoyed all the beaches; my husband wants to see the planes on Maho Beach (as do I). We'll probably just play it by ear in a couple ports. Anyone have any input about which ports might be better for "bar-hopping"? Thanks in advance!! :)

St. Maarten has an America's Cup Regatta.

They have 3 of the old 12-meter yachts, and you get to be part of the crew for a short race. We did this when the Dawn used to sail out of NY, and we won the race! (I was a grinder - great upper body exercise.)

Edited by tempus137