Finding laundromats o a long cruise! Spain, France, Germany

Cybele49

I agree that luging the laundry off ship and around town etc is a hassle and we should be able to afford the ship prices - I've also seen folks who say if you send out for the ship to do it, be very careful what you give them. Stuff comes back hard and wrinkly. Some said they only have the ship do underware and jeans because of this - nothing nice that you really care about. What have you all found?

I have had very good luck. Everything has come back in good condition and nicely pressed.

I am not paying shipboard prices for laundry! :eek:

I will, of course, do hand laundry of small items while on board. :)

I'm just curious. Exactly how much do they charge for doing a bag of regular laundry? Most cruise lines offer deals for a bag versus piece by piece.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

Sorry I find this statement laughable. My guess is you live in some outer suburb or small town and have never lived in a major city. I can assure you that when I lived in my Chelsea, area of New York City, it was not "low income" by any stretch of the imagination! Launderettes are bountiful in plenty of high rent places as many times they are in older parts of historic areas that don't have the right plumbing to accommodate washing facilities in every private dwelling. I actually quite enjoyed it that way as I would drop my laundry off and for a per pound price someone would wash and fold my laundry!

Hey nolatravelgirl,

I'm not sure how in your mind you have managed to assimilate NYC and a port area in Europe?

Your guess of me living in some outer suburb or small town is completely wrong and a bad assumption of yours.

Having worked extensively in many European cities for weeks at a time, I can assure you that launderettes are not located in tourist hotspots, but in places that are accommodated by those that either as you have said cannot fit a washer in their apartment, or because of their income. No one choses to use a public laundry over having a washer, and many higher income people send their clothes out to be laundered these days if they do not have one.

The most desirable apartments like in Chelsea Village are not located in port areas in many European cities, so it is not a like for like comparison. Why you chose that as a comparison is beyond comprehension to me.

And those apartments that are desirable are renovated so a washer is either in a cupboard in the hall, the bathroom or kitchen.

It only needs power, water and a drain.

Not sure your time spent in European cities for more than a day, but that is my experience from someone that has spent many weeks at a time with work staying in apartments.

I will not be as obtuse as you were and laugh at your post.

ex techie

We travel with a carry on bag only and have done laundry all over Europe. I have never had to go to a "low income" neighborhood to find a laundromat. We used one that was 2 blocks off Las Ramblas or a block off Rue Cler in Paris.

Google Maps is your friend

We travel with a carry on bag only and have done laundry all over Europe. I have never had to go to a "low income" neighborhood to find a laundromat. We used one that was 2 blocks off Las Ramblas or a block off Rue Cler in Paris.

Google Maps is your friend

So you believe it is a worthwhile use of limited port time to carry dirty laundry off the ship with you, locate a laundromat, then see what you came to see, then go back to pick up your clean laundry (for which you must have paid a bit extra to have taken out of the washer and put in the dryer), and then carried back to the ship? I find that the $20 or so for a full bag done on the ship - which in my experience has always come back well done- is a worthwhile expenditure.

Of course, when staying on land, it makes sense to use a local laundromat - but this thread is about spending limited port time when on a cruise.

The bag of laundry USED to be a good deal for all items but now, they give you specifics on what can be put in and almost everything is of the underwear, pajamas and tshirt type. In the past, they used to iron clothing and those came back on hangers.

I still like to bring jeans and don't mind the one time charge for cleaning. Dressy jeans and convertible climbing pants aren't the same look.

Not sure your time spent in European cities for more than a day, but that is my experience from someone that has spent many weeks at a time with work staying in apartments.

I will not be as obtuse as you were and laugh at your post.

You know what assuming does.;)

To clarify I have worked overseas for nearly a year and have traveled to over 35 countries so I am not some looky lou who has only done one trip to Europe.

My comparison of Chelsea is absolutely valid. NYC is a historical old city with close quarters which is very similar to many major stops on a traditional Med cruise. Agree that there probably not a lot of launderettes right next to the Trevi fountain but to assume that there is no place other than luxury homes or in the slums is comical.

I am not advocating doing laundry at launderette as I would not be happy spending a day of vacation doing it.

You know what assuming does.;)

To clarify I have worked overseas for nearly a year and have traveled to over 35 countries so I am not some looky lou who has only done one trip to Europe.

My comparison of Chelsea is absolutely valid. NYC is a historical old city with close quarters which is very similar to many major stops on a traditional Med cruise. Agree that there probably not a lot of launderettes right next to the Trevi fountain but to assume that there is no place other than luxury homes or in the slums is comical.

I am not advocating doing laundry at launderette as I would not be happy spending a day of vacation doing it.

Yeah you do! You assumed by guessing "you live in some outer suburb or small town and have never lived in a major city." you made a major incorrect assumption in your guess!

All I said was I was unsure of your time spent in a European city past one day.

I did not jump to such conclusions as you yourself did to me. ;)

You have expanded on your traveling history, and I never accused you of being a looky lou.

Maybe you have have stayed in self service apartments, serviced apartments, hotels, AirBNB's, hostels, I don't know and to be honest, I'm past caring.

You have your opinion and experiences, and I have mine.

For the record, I never mentioned slums, that was yours to own.

I said lower income areas. That means either rented or social housing in Europe. But you'd know that right? ;)

And it does not mean slum like. It means affordable to those on a lower wage.

And this is just one example of the laundrettes for the port of Vigo. Google street map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tintorerias+pronto/@42.2167553,-8.7477322,3a,75y,312.74h,87.06t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sJ7G7oZ14iAaXv1gKCQhr5g!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DJ7G7oZ14iAaXv1gKCQhr5g%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D234%26h%3D106%26yaw%3D254.51219%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sLavander%C3%ADa!3m4!1s0x0:0xeee3f10e8914f6b!8m2!3d42.2166573!4d-8.7482098!6m1!1e1?hl=en-US

11 minutes from the port. Basic, low income housing, and not slum like at all, but neither touristy, one of the closest to the port you could be taken if asking for the closest laundrette, and somewhere I wouldn't want to go on a port stop, especially if as single female in a foreign country, and may not speak the language and for Spain, the dialect.

Lets agree to disagree?

ex techie