Shopping in the Enchanted Norwegian Fjords

shops54

While we're not going on this wonderful cruise to shop (Costa Neo-Romantica - Enchanted Fjords, 8-25-16) I still would love to get my friends something; wooden candle holders or vases, or similar items. What kind of small gifts will I find in the ports? I don't want junk or things you can find in the caribbean rather I'm looking for something small but special to Norway. Thanks in advance!

We visited some Norwegian ports last month.

I too love to find different things. found it quite difficult to find 'unique' things - it seemed to be the same things over and over.....I saw one lovely jewelry shop in Bergen with unique things, and one with some nice prints.

Hope your hunt is more successful than mine was!

Enjoy your cruise

Michele

Bergen is probably going to be your best bet shopping-wise. There are a handful of boutiques in/around the historic Bryggen waterfront, and if it's not too late in the year, the nearby fish market usually has a few tents selling gifts/souvenirs.

If you're based in Minnesota, a pair of handknit wool mittens might be a good option.

There's a Christmas shop in the Bryggen that sells some Christmas ornaments with traditional Norwegian craft influences (silverwork, rosemåling, etc).

Sorry I'm so late getting back to check my post- we were in the "no internet zone" up North in Mn for a week or so. But thank you for your replies!

The ports we are visiting are; Bergen, Flam, Andalsnas, Geiranger, Olden and Stavanger.

What I really hoped to find is some small Rosemaling pieces. It would be the perfect thing for my manicurist from Viet Nam - she loves pretty things and I adore her. I don't make a habit of bringing back things for all my friends because it is my memory - not theirs ( and it seems somehow insulting??) - unless I see the perfect thing for them. But a few special pieces of rosemaling would be wonderful. Thanks again!

While we enjoy visiting Norway (been there many times) and browsing in shops (we agree that Bergen is a good option).....we do not buy anything in Norway. In fact, just about any decent Norwegian product can be found in the USA for less cost. Norway is simply a very expensive country with a 25% VAT (tax) on most goods. While there are schemes to recover some of the VAT (on larger purchases) this is often difficult (in practice) when on a cruise. We sometimes refer to Norway as the home of the $50 Pizza or $30 Hamburger (and its all true).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner