Recent Train Pax??

Laney219

I have never taken the train to Miami, but AMTRAK is consistently late, so plan on arriving into Miami at least one day early. Taxis or Uber from the station are reportedly available and there are countless threads on this board about choosing a hotel in Miami.

I have never taken the train to Miami, but AMTRAK is consistently late, so plan on arriving into Miami at least one day early. Taxis or Uber from the station are reportedly available and there are countless threads on this board about choosing a hotel in Miami.

Ah.. So the trains being late hasn't changed in 8 years LOL

I have no choice but to arrive a day early as the trains arrive after all aboard times.

Thanks for the info!

You can also find On-Time Performance figures on the Amtrak website; go to the pull-down menu under Destinations. One of the problems is that, outside of the Northeast Corridor, Amtrak doesn't own the right of way, and their trains often get delayed by freight traffic.

The information JDC gave you is based on nothing.

Call Amtrak, they will give you the stats.

Arrange before hand for a taxi or u.

You can also find On-Time Performance figures on the Amtrak website; go to the pull-down menu under Destinations. One of the problems is that, outside of the Northeast Corridor, Amtrak doesn't own the right of way, and their trains often get delayed by freight traffic.

Have either you of you taken the train from the NE to Miami or vice versa?

The information JDC gave you is based on nothing.

My comments were based upon reports from others on this board.

I clearly stated that I had no personal experience with the train to Miami - if you have personal experience please share it with the OP.

Have either you of you taken the train from the NE to Miami or vice versa?

Yes, I've taken it numerous times to and from NYC over the past 30 years. Sometimes it's been reasonably on time, sometimes quite late. There's simply no way to predict what may happen in a trip of over 1200 miles in this country. What is it exactly you want to know? BTW, Blue Herons is quite correct about the neighborhood around the Miami station; the old Seaboard station on NW 7th was pretty desolate at night, but the present one is worse. Call a taxi to meet you when you're getting close, especially if you're arriving after dark.

Edited by Langoustine

Yes, I've taken it numerous times to and from NYC over the past 30 years. Sometimes it's been reasonably on time, sometimes quite late. There's simply no way to predict what may happen in a trip of over 1200 miles in this country. What is it exactly you want to know? BTW, Blue Herons is quite correct about the neighborhood around the Miami station; the old Seaboard station on NW 7th was pretty desolate at night, but the present one is worse. Call a taxi to meet you when you're getting close, especially if you're arriving after dark.

Did you get a regular coach seat or a roomette?

I was thinking a roomette is the only way to go. Is there anyway to secure items when out of the area (locking closet?)

I see there is no check baggage, but where is it stored for the 26+ hours?

I guess I am just looking for an overall opinion of the trip. Since you have done it 30 times it must not be so bad!

Thank you for your help.

I was thinking a roomette is the only way to go. Is there anyway to secure items when out of the area (locking closet?)

A roomette is certainly more comfortable, and cheaper on the Silver Star than on the Silver Meteor, since the Star doesn't have a full dining car. There is no way to lock the roomette from the outside (only from the inside), but I've never had anything go missing. If you have anything really valuable, I suggest locking it in a suitcase and attaching the suitcase to something with a cable lock (also very handy if you're traveling by train in Europe and have to store your case out of sight on a coach trip during the day).

I see there is no check baggage, but where is it stored for the 26+ hours?

There's a baggage car on both trains for checked baggage; you just need to board the train at a station where they will accept it. Otherwise, it goes in the room with you.

I love flying, but I also like the train trip and find it relaxing.

Edited by Langoustine

A roomette is certainly more comfortable, and cheaper on the Silver Star than on the Silver Meteor, since the Star doesn't have a full dining car. There is no way to lock the roomette from the outside (only from the inside), but I've never had anything go missing. If you have anything really valuable, I suggest locking it in a suitcase and attaching the suitcase to something with a cable lock (also very handy if you're traveling by train in Europe and have to store your case out of sight on a coach trip during the day).

There's a baggage car on both trains for checked baggage; you just need to board the train at a station where they will accept it. Otherwise, it goes in the room with you.

I love flying, but I also like the train trip and find it relaxing.

Thank you for all your insight!