Thoughts on the Legend and best time for Alaska?

cocacola86

Given the weather, is the swimming pool a realistic option.

I would say more than likely no. We went in July, and there were only a handful of kids in the pool on a couple of days. More people used the hot tub though. Kids seem to be more tolerant of the colder water/temps! LOL! Yes, the one pool is in the closed in area of the Lido deck, but there's still quite a bit of cool air that comes in, it's not completely closed, just the roof is covered. But then again, you may have a rare warm day, and people will use the pool.

Hi, I had read on another post that I can't seem to find now...that Carnival Legend offers rental binoculars for Alaska...Does anyone know if this is correct and if so how much do they cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Yes, they do! We were on the 8/16 sailing. I don't know the cost as we had our own.

And for the question regarding the pool, the pool water was ice cold! While we had decent weather for our sailing, it was not optimal for pool swimming. My kids did enjoy the kid pool and the yellow water slide the day of departure, but that was it. We all used the hot tub a couple of times. Not many people in the pool.

Would you still go even if you can't afford the best excursions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

YES! I have been twice, once in early June and once in mid June. On the first trip, I traveled with my adult children and several of their friends - I took no excursions at all, shopped at the ports and went to the totem pole park at Ketchikan. I was still able to see bears (with binoculars), mountain goats, eagles, and whales (not a lot but some). On both trips we did the glacier bay route - traveled the 2nd time with a friend and my daughter and three grandsons (ages 10, 4, and 16 months) and wanted the grandsons to see glacier bay. On the 2nd trip, we booked a whale watching trip (not thru the ship), it was a small craft, easily maneuvered to see more whales (about $100 per person). My daughter took the boys on a city bus up to Mendenhall glacier and allowed the boys to walk on the glacier for only a few dollars. We also took the railroad trip through the ship and loved that part of the trip. Not much wildlife, but amazing scenery. After the first sea day, you will be inconstantly beautiful scenery every minute of every day. You will hate to go to sleep for fear of missing something beautiful. Don't worry about not having a balcony - you will want to spend time on the deck or in the public areas so you can see all around you and hear the naturalist who will be on board to point out the sights. As for food, the same menus are on the Alaska trip as on the other trips, so you can avoid seafood if you wish.

Edited by isaiahsnana
added more information

I think will just put Alaska on hold for now, till a later time when we can at least sail HAL. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My only advice and it is from experience, my mother always wanted to cruise and to go to Alaska - we booked the trip for all of us to go, my mom , my two kids and a friend. She passed away in March before our June trip. We took a friend of my son's on the trip since her trip and plane ticket were all paid for and the name was able to be changed. (My daughter, also on the trip, met the friend for the first time and has now been married to him for 13 years.) She and their three sons went with me on a recent Alaska cruise. Moral of the story - you never know how much time you really have.

I was on that sailing and didn't know anything about it. Best cruise I have ever had. The crew on the Legend have their act together. The debarking was wonderful must have taken all of 15 minutes. Port of Seattle is very well organized.

• 1 month later...
We also found a 250pp package for the 3 AK ports on line. The tours in SK and KN were more or less Starter tours, but the J day included what watching and a trip the the park with Medenhal glacier.

Can you provide the website that offers tour packages for the ports in Alaska.

• 1 month later...
I saw someone else ask but couldn't find the answer. Are the walls magnetic on the Legend? I never know which ones are or aren't. :)

Magnets save my organizational life!

Most exterior cabin walls should be magnetic.

Alaska from Seattle is convenient for US citizens, but the port times can be lousy. If you want to see wildlife, go in May/early June, if you want reliably good weather, go in July/August. If you want discounted prices, go in september. Wildlife, weather, and price are mutually exclusive - its rare if not impossible to get the best of all 3.

I have a link to a great map on my website. Go to this page and its near the bottom under "Itinerary Specific Items". It may seem a bit expensive, but if you like following along its really handy to have. Enjoy!

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/home/packing-list