Anthem of the Seas Review - July 28th - August 6th

Just got off the Anthem of the Seas. We were a group of 20, ranging in age from 20 to 50. This is our 14th Cruise, 8th on Royal Caribbean. I sailed the last 4 years on RC.

Overall, we had an absolute blast. I truly never complain on a cruise. I could stay on the boat for 9 days, as I love that cruising "takes you away". That was one of the reasons I began cruising 14 years ago. Nowadays, it seems that people still like using their cell phones and buy the packages. I love to just put my cell phone in my safe and just enjoy being away from it all.

PROS: Windjammer food was very good. Plenty of seating and very nice

layout. I am gluten free, and they had plenty of options, including

Udi's gluten free bread. Plenty of egg stations as well.

Cabins were beautiful. Plenty of space to put your stuff away.

Bathrooms were really nice too. Love the shower enclosure instead

of the curtains.

Club Two20 and Music Hall were SO MUCH FUN! I stayed up every

night because they were just so enjoyable.

Getting on the ship was a breeze. They have this down to a

science.

Chair Hogging was in full force, but if you cant beat em join them.

I was up, or someone in my group was, by 7 am each day.

HOWEVER, those that got up, put the towel on the chair, and went

back to bed, got it removed. They were VERY good at removing

stuff that should have been removed. Witnessed it first hand.

Classic dining worked out great. We had a table for 14 and they

were beyond excellent. Best waitstaff and drink waiter ever! So

darn good! Switching the restaurants is a nice twist.

Staff was excellent. Very nice, always smiling.

Puzzle room was a lot of fun. Very enjoyable.

Bumper cars, great fun, line goes fast.

Getting on and getting off the ship was a breeze.

CONS: Pool area is way too small. 5000 passengers and I counted 90 pool

chairs, around the pool. If you were not up by 7am to get a chair

you were out of luck. I think they need to reconfigure the pool

area. Tons of fights every single day.

No proofing in the clubs. They let everyone in, including teens.

Then, parents would be looking for their kids at 1 am and they kept

shutting the music, asking teens to leave. Just proof before they

come in!

No food between 2:45 and 5:45 in the Windjammer, so forget late

lunch and no food ANYWHERE (except cookies) after 1:30. Not

good to be serving liquor and then no food late night.

I was not crazy about the CD. I felt he was rushed at the events I

attended. Marriage Game Show and the Quest were not as fun as

they usually are. The Quest was terrible. 4 teams and very

rushed. Worst one I ever attended.

We had a great time on this ship. Would highly recommend it to anyone. Prices next year are much higher. Jury is out is I will sail again or switch to Carnival, as the price is almost double what I paid. But, would love to sail the Anthem again!

I was on the cruise same time as you and I agree with everything you wrote that I also did. We were a group of 8 with two 9 year olds so not many late nights for us. I was a little worried about this ship with all the negative reviews it has gotten but we truly had few complaints. I agree that pools are way too small for such a massive ship. We did dynamic dining and had no problems. We were supposed to do American Icon twice but switched to Solarium Bistro because we didn't care for either the service or the food on AI and loved them both at the Solarium. Quite honestly, we thought the Solarium was the best kept secret because we saw few people there but the food was amazing. Think Greek and Mediterranean fare. Yummy!!! We didn't care for Silk either. Overall though, we would all go back on Anthem again with no reservations!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm confused, isn't room service available 24 hours a day, or has that changed?

:confused:

Not sure if the room service is 24 hours, however, those in my group that used it waited at least an hour or more. If you feel like sitting in the cabin and waiting over an hour for food, I guess its an option.

However, I don't remember if it is 24 hours and my daughter ordered breakfast a few times and was charged $4.00 for "farm fresh eggs".

Not sure if the room service is 24 hours, however, those in my group that used it waited at least an hour or more. If you feel like sitting in the cabin and waiting over an hour for food, I guess its an option.

However, I don't remember if it is 24 hours and my daughter ordered breakfast a few times and was charged $4.00 for "farm fresh eggs".

Really? I thought it was included...

I was going to ask about room service...does anyone have menu to share?

My husband is very concerned about no late night food except pizza!

On Quantum class, Royal has moved to a room service menu with some selections being charged extra. See this post for the breakfast menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48005761&postcount=4

I have no experience on RCCL, but will be on Anthem of the Seas in October. I've been trying to plan things out and in my menu search found this: (room service menu is near the bottom)

http://eatsleepcruise.com/2016/05/anthem-of-the-seas-menus/

Looks to me like unless you want basic breakfast or are a "little cruiser" you're going to have to pay a small fee- and even then the options aren't all that exciting.

I was not crazy about the CD. I felt he was rushed at the events I

attended. Marriage Game Show and the Quest were not as fun as

they usually are. The Quest was terrible. 4 teams and very

rushed. Worst one I ever attended.

Café Two70 - open during those afternoon hours

SeaPlex Doghouse - open during those afternoon hours

Sorrento's - open late

Café Promenade - open almost 24/7

Was your CD John Blair? :rolleyes:

Yes John Blair was the CD. Loved Anthem but the worst case of chair hogs in thirty years of cruising. In solarium by 730am 50% of chairs reserved and most didn't arrive until after 11am

My wife complained to two officers and neither one came to check it out. So blatant reserved some in the shade and some in the sun. Best of both worlds. Each sea day got progressively worse. Never saw towels removed. This was the only problem. Otherwise an incredible ship and crew!!👍👍

Room Service is very different now. We sailed July 23rd There are no charges for coffee, tea, pastries and fruit. There are charges for any type of eggs,bacon or full breakfast items. Same goes for lunch. There is no more unlimited free room service

I was on the cruise same time as you and I agree with everything you wrote that I also did. We were a group of 8 with two 9 year olds so not many late nights for us. I was a little worried about this ship with all the negative reviews it has gotten but we truly had few complaints. I agree that pools are way too small for such a massive ship. We did dynamic dining and had no problems. We were supposed to do American Icon twice but switched to Solarium Bistro because we didn't care for either the service or the food on AI and loved them both at the Solarium. Quite honestly, we thought the Solarium was the best kept secret because we saw few people there but the food was amazing. Think Greek and Mediterranean fare. Yummy!!! We didn't care for Silk either. Overall though, we would all go back on Anthem again with no reservations!!!!

Can you please elaborate more on the type of food at Solarium Bistro? What was being served for breakfast? Is it a sit down restaurant or is it make choices and head back to your lounger?

I will be on Anthem in just 4 short weeks! Can't wait for WWRY and Journey Cover band will be on for the cruise, so good, and so much more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing your comments.

Café Two70 - open during those afternoon hours

SeaPlex Doghouse - open during those afternoon hours

Sorrento's - open late

Café Promenade - open almost 24/7

Was your CD John Blair?

I guess my "complaint" was not having quick, easy access to late lunch. I was up late, so I slept late, and wanted to eat lunch a bit later (I was also in 8:30 dining). To leave the pool deck, to go to Cafe Two70 and sit down was a bit of a time waster. I am on a restricted diet so Doghouse and Promenade were out. I loved the food in Windjammer because they always had nice cold salads and fruit. Sadly, I could not eat anything on the Promenade. I managed but after cruising so many years, you really do see the "cutbacks".

As far as the CD, yes it was John Blair. My "opinion" was the Quest (one of my favorite things about RC) was so rushed that it almost took the fun out of it and the Marriage Game was the same way. I did hear that the original CD was on sick leave.

Guest maddycat
Go to Chic or Solarium for breakfast. Both are great and nicer alternative to Windjammer, which I never went to once in my 9 days on board!

How can you say that Chic and Solarium Bistro were nicer for breakfast when you never went to the Windjammer?

Can you please elaborate more on the type of food at Solarium Bistro? What was being served for breakfast? Is it a sit down restaurant or is it make choices and head back to your lounger?

I will be on Anthem in just 4 short weeks! Can't wait for WWRY and Journey Cover band will be on for the cruise, so good, and so much more.

You are going to love it! Breakfast was really more like brunch so they had pre made ham and cheese omelettes, cheese omelette, hard boiled eggs, yogurt parfait, pastries, oatmeal, and fresh fruit. They also had cheeses, salads, soup and desserts. It's really more like a mini buffet since you serve yourself but it's really quiet and relaxing since its in the adults only Solarium and I didn't see a lot of families. Chic was a sit down regular breakfast menu. Very nice if you want to be served. Get the bran muffins, they are delicious!

You are going to love it! Breakfast was really more like brunch so they had pre made ham and cheese omelettes, cheese omelette, hard boiled eggs, yogurt parfait, pastries, oatmeal, and fresh fruit. They also had cheeses, salads, soup and desserts. It's really more like a mini buffet since you serve yourself but it's really quiet and relaxing since its in the adults only Solarium and I didn't see a lot of families. Chic was a sit down regular breakfast menu. Very nice if you want to be served. Get the bran muffins, they are delicious!

Thank you so much for the info! Trying to see what is what off that elevator. I think I am going to spend most time in the Solarium and hot tub to see if I can get my right leg less stressed and tight.

Omlet and fruit, things I like. It sounds fairly similar to the lower class Solarium cafés just a bit nicer and larger scale.

I really enjoy picking up food and heading back to my balcony. Wish they had a pick up section at times for an MDR situation.

I think that is a great way of putting it; it is definitely more upscale than traditional Solarium bistro which is why I was confused when I made my pre-boarding reservations since I had no idea what to expect. It's really like a lovely little restaurant. The Solarium itself is absolutely beautiful and very large. The pool is more like three large circular pools one leading into the other. More meant to be sit down pools rather than swimming pools. Picture a whirlpool without the heat and jets! I never got a chance to use it myself since I was watching my daughter in the indoor pool but my friends went and loved it. One really cool touch was the large swing right in the front so you and your partner could swing and watch the ocean. Lovely! Forgot to say that you can easily take food out to your lounger or your room from here. I hope you have as great a time as we did and let me know if I can answer any other questions!

I think that is a great way of putting it; it is definitely more upscale than traditional Solarium bistro which is why I was confused when I made my pre-boarding reservations since I had no idea what to expect. It's really like a lovely little restaurant. The Solarium itself is absolutely beautiful and very large. The pool is more like three large circular pools one leading into the other. More meant to be sit down pools rather than swimming pools. Picture a whirlpool without the heat and jets! I never got a chance to use it myself since I was watching my daughter in the indoor pool but my friends went and loved it. One really cool touch was the large swing right in the front so you and your partner could swing and watch the ocean. Lovely! Forgot to say that you can easily take food out to your lounger or your room from here. I hope you have as great a time as we did and let me know if I can answer any other questions!

Thank you again. The Solarium does look beautiful. I am getting excited to sail Anthem. I am hoping for easy passage. I am looking forward to the Queen production. I get to see the Journey cover band again[emoji450] [emoji41].

I feel in the same boat not really knowing about the new eating places. I usually do the WJ, but I have room right off the 1st bank of elevators. I know there are sandwichs and pizza down on the promanade and cake pops yumola. I guess AI has beignets? Any good? Realistic to the ones in NO!

I just never know when I will be hungry and will have to remember RC is charging for items and times for Room Service now[emoji48].