Alternative Muster Drill Options for Autistic Child

I know that the muster drill is mandatory and we are not seeking a way to avoid it, but I am wondering if anyone has ever been able to have an alternative location for attending the muster drill with an autistic individual?

Each time we have taken our son (5 yo) on a cruise the muster drill has been a significant source of stress for him (and therefore for us). On our last cruise the noise and cluster of people were too much for him and he threw up on me and cried/screamed the entire time while others around us chose that moment to belittle everything about our family/parenting/child/ect. It was awful.

The memory of this has me wondering if there may be some alternate arrangement that may be able to be made.

Any insight into what the cruise line may be able to offer and/or who to contact is really helpful.

Contact the Special Needs department and let them know of your situation.

Also once onboard let Guest Services know and they will arrange for you to do your muster drill inside in a much smaller setting.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Not quite the same thing, but the muster drill staff was very accommodating when my wife was limited by recent foot surgery. I went to the station with both of our sea passes and they checked us off and told us to sit comfortably inside (a short distance away in lounge seating) where it was not so chaotic.

Not sure what level of commotion your son can tolerate, but the above may still be a bit too much activity for him, with all passengers filing down stairs and finding their place. I do know they often have a 'make-up' muster drill for late boarders, or those that missed it for other reasons. As others have said, perhaps Special Needs could include your family in one of those so he would not have to be put under any undue stress.

Edited by Doug S

I know that the muster drill is mandatory and we are not seeking a way to avoid it, but I am wondering if anyone has ever been able to have an alternative location for attending the muster drill with an autistic individual?

Each time we have taken our son (5 yo) on a cruise the muster drill has been a significant source of stress for him (and therefore for us). On our last cruise the noise and cluster of people were too much for him and he threw up on me and cried/screamed the entire time while others around us chose that moment to belittle everything about our family/parenting/child/ect. It was awful.

The memory of this has me wondering if there may be some alternate arrangement that may be able to be made.

Any insight into what the cruise line may be able to offer and/or who to contact is really helpful.

Being the Grandmother of an Autistic grandchild that cruises, I understand your concerns and I know alllll too well how people who don't understand cause us to feel uncomfortable sometimes about our situations...My grandson has been cruising since he was 6 months old and we always contact special needs department in-advance of our cruise. We usually use story boards to prepare him for parts of the cruise that may be upsetting to him and use his headphones for muster. These have worked, but each time is a little different. I too have been looking for an alternative because on our upcoming cruise he will be older, stronger and more active with being unable to tolerate crowds and loud noises. It would be great and much easier for him if we will be allowed to miss muster. I have read on the boards, rccl will allow one person to stay in the cabin with him. I have not confirmed this yet, but will be excited if this truly is an option for him. I guess we both can look into it..Enjoy your cruise :D

There is some first hand experience in this thread (see in particular the 6th post - a bit old, but it might give you some tips you hadn't considered).

All the best to you for a great trip.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2079984&highlight=autism+muster

Wow-- outstanding info--Thanks to Colleen for that great, informative post and

thank you for pointing it out.

There is some first hand experience in this thread (see in particular the 6th post - a bit old, but it might give you some tips you hadn't considered).

All the best to you for a great trip.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2079984&highlight=autism+muster

Thank you for this. I searched a bit before posting, but I missed that one.

Thank you to everyone for your help. I will email the special needs department a while before our cruise, so that hopefully they can assist us as can Guest Services onboard.

In the past story boards, hearing protection, even a phone with his favorite video on it, have not been enough. After last time it was obvious that not only was it an extremely uncomfortable situation for him, but for other passengers nearby as well. Fingers crossed that this time is better.