Phillipsburg, St Maarten and San Juan, PR

Homosassa

I have tried searching this forum for information but the threads I found were several years old.

We are traveling with another couple on the MSC Divina in April 2017.? The husband has CP and can walk with a walker. However, he plans on using an electric scooter on shore.

In Phillipsburg, is the water taxi accessible for an electric scooter? If he can't ride the scooter onto the taxi, will they lift the empty scooter onto the taxi while he uses the walker to board?

Is there any problems using an electric scooter in San Juan? I has been to the forts before and have seen cannon ramps that can be used by scooters? Any other suggestions?

You are going to two of the most accessible ports.

First of all, in St Maarten, the helpers will put the scooter on the water taxi if you wish to take it. However, the sidewalk from the port is an easy walk or scooter trip right into town. Most of the store walkways are accessible, but one has to pay attention. They are far from perfect.

San Juan as part of the U.S. is fairly accessible. You may have to look for the curb cutouts. The street inclines do use a lot of power. Make sure he takes the charger along. We did not have to charge our batteries, but we would have not made it much further. We both have more powerful batteries than the basic scooters.

Both forts have limited accessibility. Castillo de San Cristóbal is the most accessible. The ticket taker was very nice and gave us a U.S. Park passes. We will use them again when we visit San Felipe del Morro Fortress in January. Paseo de la Princesa (ocean walkway) is accessible and a lovely walk. We will be using it on our trip to avoid the hill in town. Yes there is a hill once we pass through the town gate, but we can avoid most of it by heading toward the fort. In my planning for January, I discovered Clasa Blanca. It is accessible and we will stop there on our way back from the fort. Oh, there is even a lift to get to the Harley Davidson shop.

Have a wonderful trip,

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways