Nieuw Amsterdam

CanuckinSMA

Any thoughts on the Vancouver return cruise on this ship re. balcony rooms? Looking at 5064 but concerned that there may be some view blockage as the lifeboats are below I think. We're not booking till end of week but would like some suggestions as to what balcony rooms would be best so we can narrow down for TA. We were going to do Noordam north cruise but now have to change to do Vancouver return next August. This is our first cruise so we really want to make right decision...besides it's my wife's BIG birthday so have to make it right!!!!

Not only are the lifeboats right below the deck 5 V's, they also have just a 4.5 ft deep balcony. I suggest you get a deck 8 VA under the carpeted Lido area (between 8078/8081 and 8114/8117). It will save you a little money and give you a 7 ft deep balcony with no obstructions.

I don't recommend 8076/8079 because they are partially visible from the glass elevators.

Edited by jtl513

Thank you!!! Will the deck 8 be high to give me grief if I have a little fear of getting seasick??
Sure, if you get into rough water the rolling motion there would be a little more than 3 decks lower, but the odds are that you won't hit that kind of conditions. The closer you are to the center of the ship the less pitching motion you will get, so I would choose as close to the mid-ship elevators as you can get, but not right next to them. We love that area because we're usually only walking one half a ship length at a time, and it's just a quick flight of stairs up to the Lido.

If the Captain announces that rough water is ahead, go down to the front desk and get some free Sea-Calm (Meclizine)! :)

Edited by jtl513

We sailed the NA in March and were in room 8082. Very nice balcony, no obstructions. I don't take any chances for seasickness so I get a patch from my doctor. My travel companion doesn't have any problems and has t needed anything. We were under the Lido but never heard noise.