Restaurants in New York

swansong

We will be setting out on our New York to Montreal cruise in September and will be staying overnight at Le Parker Meridien. Can any one advise as to a suitable restaurant for dinner either at the hotel or nearby. ( remembering that as we are from the UK it will be midnight to us at 7:00pm in NY so we don't want to go far! ) We prefer Italian food out of choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We will be setting out on our New York to Montreal cruise in September and will be staying overnight at Le Parker Meridien. Can any one advise as to a suitable restaurant for dinner either at the hotel or nearby. ( remembering that as we are from the UK it will be midnight to us at 7:00pm in NY so we don't want to go far! ) We prefer Italian food out of choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When we stayed at Le Parker Meridien, we ate at Angelo's Pizza. It is not fancy, but the food was good and we enjoyed it. The restaurant has pizza and traditional Italian cuisine. It is just across the street from the hotel, on the 57th Street exit of the hotel. Very convenient.

We will be setting out on our New York to Montreal cruise in September and will be staying overnight at Le Parker Meridien.

If you find yourselves in the mood for a burger, be sure to visit The Burger Joint at the Parker Meridian. They're famous for one for one of the best "secret" burgers in the city!

http://www.parkermeridien.com/eat/burger-joint/

Bechi

If you find yourselves in the mood for a burger, be sure to visit The Burger Joint at the Parker Meridian. They're famous for one for one of the best "secret" burgers in the city!

http://www.parkermeridien.com/eat/burger-joint/

Bechi

Oh yes, it's a bit surreal and totally bonkers, but yes, I agree, investigate what lies behind the red velvet curtain ;-)

Le Parker Meridien is located in the neighborhood known as Midtown West, also home to what is referred to has "Billionaire's Row" due to the many sky high priced condos. The reason I am mentioning this is because some of the restaurants in the area cater either to individuals with business accounts or people who think nothing of dropping $150 pp for a casual dinner, which is not unusual in the city. That being said, there are some great "finds" in the area where one can get a nice meal at a reasonable price.

I second the Burger Joint (behind the red curtain!), however, that may be heavy for you if your "GI clock" believes it is closer to midnight than dinner time.

Some suggestions for some reasonable priced Italian restaurants in the area include:

Pazza Notte - 1375 6th Avenue (also known as Avenue of the Americas)

Pizzarte - 69 West 55th Street

Quality Italian - 57 West 57th Street

All of these places are within short walking distances of the hotel and if the weather cooperates, nothing in nicer than a walk in the city in the evening with the slightest chill in the air that requires a sweater/jacket.

Since the "Big Apple" is my hometown, please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

gnomie :)

An interesting place for tourists (New Yorkers wanting deli eat close to where they live, not a high priced midtown deli), and quite near the PM hotel, is Carnegie deli. It's pricy, but the corned beef and pastrami are worth a visit.

Having said that, we note that we're usually so jet lagged on our first night that we eat at the hotel. While the food at the Meridien is expensive, the cost is tiny compared to the cost of a Regent cruise! LOL,

An interesting place for tourists (New Yorkers wanting deli eat close to where they live, not a high priced midtown deli), and quite near the PM hotel, is Carnegie deli. It's pricy, but the corned beef and pastrami are worth a visit.

Having said that, we note that we're usually so jet lagged on our first night that we eat at the hotel. While the food at the Meridien is expensive, the cost is tiny compared to the cost of a Regent cruise! LOL,

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/10/nyregion/carnegie-deli-reopens-after-a-10-month-shutdown.html?_r=0

I use to take visitors to the Carnegie, but after it was found that they had intentionally been stealing from the utility company and putting many lives at risk, a number of New Yorkers no longer patronize the Carnegie. My friends live very close by and when the illegal gas conversion was found, they were not allowed into their apartment until it was deemed safe.

FYI - for those that do decide to go to the Carnegie, just be prepared, not only is it pricey - it is cash only, no credit cards accepted.

gnomie :)

For what it's worth, our favorite midtown restaurant is Pergola des Artistes, at 252 West 46th Street, and, in general, Restaurant Row on 46th Street between 8th & 9th Avenues. Also Bali Nusa Undah on 9th Avenue between 45th & 46th Streets. All of these choices are likely to be too far away from the PM Hotel for a pair of jet lagged Brits.

For a real splurge, there is always Eleven Madison Park for a three-hour lunch or dinner. One of the top-.rated restaurants in the world and a real once-in-a-lifetime experience...