Sorry Another Drink Package Question!

Cinders411

We are sailing on the Vista's 11 day repositioning cruise from N.Y. to Miami in Nov. The price of the drink package is $1148.86 for the entire cruise. That's enough to take another cruise LOL! Although my DH wants the package, I do not want to pay this much for it. We are not big drinkers or specialty coffee fans. I would like to compromise with him. Does anyone know how far into the cruise we could still purchase the package to reduce the price?

If you are not big drinkers, how many drinks a day do you think you and hubby will drink?

Would you consider buying a bottle of your favorite liquor from Fun Shops and mixing your own. You can take soda on board for a mixer and it can cost considerable less that way per drink.

Edited by HawkIVette

For example.....

1 Liter bottle of Rum around $80.

33 oz. in a bottle

Add 100 oz of Coke = 8-9 cans of soda ($5 for a 12 pack, carried on)

Would make 33 drinks (4 oz each)

or 16 drinks (my size)

16 drinks @ $5.30 each

Triple this for an 11 day cruise is still 1/4 the cost for Cheers.

You could substitute Whiskey, Vodka, Bourbon, Tequila or mix and match. Also any soda you like or free Orange Juice or lemonade from Lido deck. We mixed Guava Juice with rum for a good rum punch.

Edited by HawkIVette

I am not an expert, but until someone more knowledgeable comes along, my understanding is that Cheers must be bought for the entire cruise. I also believe it has been possible in the past to purchase it on the second day and pay one day less, but I do not know if this is still the case. I have not heard of it being available any later than the second day. Hope this helps.

I only drink a few beers a day and my wife doesn't drink alcohol at all, so the Cheers package wouldn't be economically viable for us. I have decided instead to purchase in advance some Cruise Cash Bar credits, this way most of my drinks are then paid for before we cruise.

I am not an expert, but until someone more knowledgeable comes along, my understanding is that Cheers must be bought for the entire cruise. I also believe it has been possible in the past to purchase it on the second day and pay one day less, but I do not know if this is still the case. I have not heard of it being available any later than the second day. Hope this helps.

This is what I was thinking too. Just have never bought Cheers to find out.

Also, FWIW, Cheers pays off if you buy 5-6 drinks a day, every day. Or drink heavily (up to 15 drinks) every other day.:D

Do you think you will both drink that much?:eek: If so, buy Cheers.

I understand that it goes up $5 in price if purchased on board. I really do not want the hassle of returning to the cabin to get drinks from purchased bottles. I understand if we drank 5 or so drinks per day it would be worth the cost.

I thought that you were allowed to purchase the package if there were like 5 full days left of the cruise???? Maybe not. Thanks anyway.

I might can be of some help. You have to purchase the Cheers package for the entire length of your cruise, and the price goes up if you purchase the package 1 day before you sail. It is $49.95 per person per day, + 15% gratuity added to the price. If you purchase the day before you sail, or on board the price goes up to $54.95 per person, per day. For my 8 day 12-3-16 it is going to run $911.+ You could purchase your favorite poison through the fun shop, but like you said traipsing back and forth from the room to the Lido can get tiresome. You could bring a Large travel mug for the refills that would cut down on the back and forth to the room.

That is about all I can add to hopefully shed some light.

If you have any other questions, I can try to clarify.

I know last year on my last cruise both adults in the cabin had to purchase the cheers program, which is horrible because my DH does not drink at all, so that just won't work for us. Is that still the case???

Yes, those are the rules on Carnival.