Alaska - Skagway and Bennett Lake

showgirl85

Did this trip 2 years ago while on the Volendam. I think the trip may have changed since then.

I remember it included a hot lunch of Beef stew and biscuits ? that was served at Lake Bennet station. I know there was some time to walk a hiking trail and see an old church at the lake.

I know the bus ride back made no stops, not even for any photos of wildlife. I think we got back to Skagway late afternoon .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We rented a car from Avis in Skagway and drove ourselves, stopping whenever we wanted to see the sights. We especially liked visiting Carcross and seeing Emerald Lake, which are both past Bennett Lake. It is about 70 miles (115 km) each way according to Google Maps.

The car was a reliable late model Toyota Camry, in case you are wondering about risks. You could also buddy up with a second party to mitigate the risk of car trouble. I do recommend paying for the damage waiver if you drive on the unpaved highway between Carcross and Emerald Lake as a rock struck our windshield.

We also drove over to Tagish but there wasn't much to see.

igraf

Has anyone taken the Bennett Lake and White Pass Railroad Excursion? Did the WP round trip many years but going to try to the Bennett Lake addition this year. Any feedback appreciated.

thanks

Edited by igraf

We did the full trip to Carcross, YT on May 31 this year. The terrain changes after the summit and crossing into Canada so it will be different than your previous round trips. By the way the Canadian Customs take the crossing very seriously.

We had a beautiful day for weather with the lake was so calm there were mirror reflections in our photos. It seemed to be a rare occurrence as the fellow who was doing the commentary said that he had only seen it so calm a few times before. This train is also the first train scheduled up the line for the day so shouldn't have any delays. It depends on the trains timetable as to how much time for time for viewing the church at Lake Bennett. We had about twenty minutes there. There was about twenty-five minutes in Carcross before boarding the bus to go back. The driver gave us two choices of where to stop on the way back - the sign for crossing into BC or a waterfall. General concensus was for the waterfall. The border crossing back to the USA was essentially a roll-through.

All in all we really enjoyed the trip with some really great opportunities for pictures and felt it was worth the price. The one thing that has changed from the description (we received a letter the day before about the change :rolleyes:) is the meal. It was a mediocre box lunch in place of the sit-down miners stew described in the shore excursion.

We rented a car from Avis in Skagway and drove ourselves, stopping whenever we wanted to see the sights. We especially liked visiting Carcross and seeing Emerald Lake, which are both past Bennett Lake. It is about 70 miles (115 km) each way according to Google Maps.

The car was a reliable late model Toyota Camry, in case you are wondering about risks. You could also buddy up with a second party to mitigate the risk of car trouble. I do recommend paying for the damage waiver if you drive on the unpaved highway between Carcross and Emerald Lake as a rock struck our windshield.

We also rented a car some years age (after having done the RR the previous year) and drove to White Horse and back. The drive was spectacular. I can't recommend White Horse, though - endless stream of chain restaurants and motels.

You'll see this discussed on the Alaska board regularly, do have look there for more info.

We did this excursion in June this year. It was great. Train up to Carcross and coach back down to Skagway.

Since they've expanded/created a museum/display room there is no more hot lunch. Instead it was a decent box lunch aboard the train as we left Bennett Lake. I'd have liked more time at Bennett Station but it is what it is I guess.

Our bus made multiple stops for photos at various scenic spots on the way back, as well as for bears alongside the road. The coach drivers were alerting one another over the radio regarding wildlife.

In terms of train vs rental car, note that the road and the train take different routes for a good chunk of the way to Carcross. Both have their merits, but for our first time both my wife and I greatly preferred being about to fully enjoy the scenery and let someone else handle the driving. On the train I made thorough use of the outside platforms for picture taking; everyone was good about not hogging the space and taking turns.

I disagree on two points:

The highway and the train pretty much follow each other, except that the train has to deviate at a couple places to minimize the grade. You can see for yourself on Google Maps. It is difficult for me to see how the scenery could be better for one or the other.

The very best way to enjoy scenery is to stop the car, get out and stay as long as you want. And we never have other passengers blocking the view.... :-)

igraf

You'll see this discussed on the Alaska board regularly, do have look there for more info.

We did this excursion in June this year. It was great. Train up to Carcross and coach back down to Skagway.

Since they've expanded/created a museum/display room there is no more hot lunch. Instead it was a decent box lunch aboard the train as we left Bennett Lake. I'd have liked more time at Bennett Station but it is what it is I guess.

Our bus made multiple stops for photos at various scenic spots on the way back, as well as for bears alongside the road. The coach drivers were alerting one another over the radio regarding wildlife.

In terms of train vs rental car, note that the road and the train take different routes for a good chunk of the way to Carcross. Both have their merits, but for our first time both my wife and I greatly preferred being about to fully enjoy the scenery and let someone else handle the driving. On the train I made thorough use of the outside platforms for picture taking; everyone was good about not hogging the space and taking turns.

The highway and the train pretty much follow each other, except that the train has to deviate at a couple places to minimize the grade. You can see for yourself on Google Maps. It is difficult for me to see how the scenery could be better for one or the other.

My gps tracks for the train ride up to Carcross and the coach ride back down differed substantially for the portion of the trip past Frasier. The train went by way of Bennett Lake and the road went by way of Nares and Tutshi lakes. In many spots the scenery was similar, and in many spots it was notably different.

I'd love to go back to Bennett and spend more time at the church, trails, and station. As you're pretty familiar with google maps and the roads perhaps you can help: Looking at Google Maps, I can't see how to get there by car, could you please show how to do so? https://goo.gl/maps/2pME1Two2Tk

In any event, the point here is to offer our own experience to help those who are planning. There is certainly value in renting a car, but you will miss stuff you get doing a WPYR train ride. In contrast with a car rental as you say you can take all (most) of the time you want wherever you wish to stop.

I disagree on two points:

Don't know if you've done both (I have) but I must disagree with you. The train hugs the side of the mountains along the river valley, while the road follows mostly a high plain - very different scenery. I highly recommend people do both - for the total view.

You are right. I do see where the train deviates from the road if one continues to Carcross. I was thinking that the train tour was a shorter trip as we didn't notice very many ship passengers in Carcross.

Your return trip on the road might have been tainted by the fact that you were on a bus, which we can all agree is the worst way to enjoy scenery. It was a great drive in a car where of course one has a panoramic forward view.

igraf

My gps tracks for the train ride up to Carcross and the coach ride back down differed substantially for the portion of the trip past Frasier. The train went by way of Bennett Lake and the road went by way of Nares and Tutshi lakes. In many spots the scenery was similar, and in many spots it was notably different.

Edited by igraf