Lima, Peru - which NCL tour?

Farrlacey

Trying to decide between two NCL excursions - Local Markets & Panorama OR Highlights of Lima.

Never been to Lima before. Prefer to see a few things in depth rather than a drive by. Would like to go to a local market.

Has anyone been on these trips? Would you recommend? What was highlight?

I haven't been on these particular excursions.

What I liked:

The downtown historical square and the ocean view from the cliffs of Miraflores. - That sounds like NCL's highlight tour. What I disliked about it was the long distance from the port to the city center and the enormous traffic. The port is in Callao.

Great tour: The walking tour of the large vegetable and fruit market in Callao. It's called Minka. Bring your own plastic fork and wipes for your hands.

If 'local markets' means a shopping tour for tourist trinkets, I would not like it. Maybe a fruit and vegetable market for locals is thrown in the mixture? Does NCL give a description?

Great tour: The walking tour of the large vegetable and fruit market in Callao. It's called Minka. Bring your own plastic fork and wipes for your hands.

Can you give a bit more detail of your tour, and provider? Will be in Lima in February, and looking for a tour that we could take from Callao with our luggage prior to being transported to our hotel.

The tour was offered by our ship, so I have no details which company. Could have been a one woman enterprise for all I know. It was a long tour of several hours in this huge MINKA market. We went to a different area of Lima for late lunch and wine to make it an all day tour.

I don't think it's a good idea to have your luggage waiting in the taxi. Parking looked limited to vendors' trucks. Callao is not the safest environment although the market was among the nicest and cleanest I have ever seen.

There must be more than one food tour in Lima since Peru is a 'foody' country with an abundance of fresh produce and fish. Maybe ask the hotel for a recommendation? Hotels also arrange for safe taxis.

Edited by Floridiana