Longer Cruises ?

IDB37

I'm im agreement with so many of you above. The one and only thing keeping me off Holland America's interesting itineraries is the liberal smoking policy that allows smoking on balconies.

You know, we have been on four HAL cruises. We enjoyed the decor, service, food and ambiance. We always had balconies but frankly I don't remember smoking on the balconies being an issue. Believe me, as an arrogant ex-smoker I would have smelled it and reacted to smoke from a neighbors balcony. Moot point however as we now only sail on X.

We decide on what part of the world, I look for cruises we can do consecutively, and I always book early to insure we have the same cabin. It's not difficult, just takes a little planning.

All we do are longer cruises and B2Bs. We book when the price is acceptable, it makes no difference if it's a year out or two months. 90% of the time it's six months or less. On a B2B, availability isn't a major problem, it's the price difference from cruise to cruise. Last December we could have stayed in the same cabin, on the Silhouette but it would have cost an extra $300 p.p. for the second week. Changing cabins (category change), is no big deal so we save the money. 10 minutes to throw the loose stuff in the suitcases, we do our thing and come back to the new cabin and 10 minutes to empty the suitcases. 20 minutes work for $600, no brainer.

While we like longer cruises, 28 day Princess to South Pacific in October, the short 7 day are perfect to take the grandkids, Adventure (RCCL) last week in August. Then there is the cost of airfare to FLL that is a big concern. We happen to find a sale on Jet Blue for early December that was almost impossible to pass up - $189rt pp. So we gave in and booked a "short Silhouette 7 day, and then last week that sailing had a big price drop!

B2B has always been a means of an extended cruise such as our Equinox for February, 21 days - 10/11. Those who like sea days know that the transatlantics are the best with great prices. The longest TA for us was from Venice to Fll 18 days; while there is nothing wrong with shorter TA if you add the cruise prior or after.

Bottom line is that every cruise is a good cruise and we enjoy them all!

Hal

Friends of ours just booked a 10 day cruise on Oceania at much more favourable cost with better perks than they could get on X. Not to mention, better ports. Just saying. After our 2017 cruise on X, we will be definitely looking towards Oceania as many of my seasoned cruise friends have already done.

What itinerary? I would love to try Oceania but can't find anything even at a remotely favorable cost over Celebrity. (Comparing Aqua 1 to Veranda 4 for a similar itinerary.)