Cat. AA Mini Upgrade ?

LetmeCurise

I have been reading these boards alot recently due to our booking a cruise on the Diamond in Oct. 04..
It looks like alot of people have been saying that they have been upgraded to a Vista Suite, My questions are...
1) What catagory did you have booked prior to get upgraded ?
2) Does Princess have that many Vista suites that go unsold ?
3) How far out from your cruise did you book your vacation and does this make a differance on you receiving the Vista Suite ?

Just wondering as we have a MIni Cat. AA booked . As we ALWAYS book the Cat. That we will be happy with, while cruising....

Thank you for all the wonderful info you fine folks share..
This is our first princess cruise and we have learned so much from these boards and all of you that share your wisdom.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LetmeCurise:
I have been reading these boards alot recently due to our booking a cruise on the Diamond in Oct. 04..[B]It may look like "alot" but that is hardly a factual basis to base your questions on, only a tiny percentage of people who cruise post here.[/B]
It looks like alot of people have been saying that they have been upgraded to a Vista Suite, My questions are...
1) What catagory did you have booked prior to get upgraded ? [B]Most will be Minis but that is hardly the only factor, past passenger, amount paid and general voodoo all come in to play.[/B]
2) Does Princess have that many Vista suites that go unsold ? [B]Depends on many factors, time of year, etc.[/B]
3) How far out from your cruise did you book your vacation and does this make a differance on you receiving the Vista Suite ? [B]No. If they are open they fill them.[/B]

Just wondering as we have a MIni Cat. AA booked . As we ALWAYS book the Cat. That we will be happy with, while cruising....

Thank you for all the wonderful info you fine folks share..
This is our first princess cruise and we have learned so much from these boards and all of you that share your wisdom.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[B]Please don't hope for or kinda expect an upgrade, it doesn't help and can easlily lead to dissapointment. Good policy is to be pleasently SURPRISED.[/B]

[B] Life is at it's best when your address floats [/B]
[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02
Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 12/04
Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04
Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 9/96

Luck may be the word. We booked a BD balcony room 11 months in advance but changed it to an AA mini-suite 3 months later. This cruise made us a Platinum member. I called Princess the week before the cruise and was told there were some suites available and they wished us luck since we were on the complimentary upgrade list. We did not get the upgrade but sat next to a couple at lunch one day that were on their second Princess cruise and had booked an AE guarantee room in October. They were notified on the Monday before the cruise they had been upgraded to a suite. We were very happy with our mini-suite (which is why we chose it). Hope your cruise was as enjoyable as ours was!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It may look like "alot" but that is hardly a factual basis to base your questions on, only a tiny percentage of people who cruise post here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps those who post here have a better shot than the uninformed masses who cruise ignorant of the great value of CC.

Completed:
Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess
Coming up:
Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04
Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

I booked the Grand Princess with my friend 4 weeks prior to sailtime and his parents decided they wanted to go on the same cruise.
They booked through the same TA we did (bestpricecruises) 3 weeks prior,and they got the same rate as us, booked a balcony guarantee like us, and 3 days before the cruise they got assigned a VS. They were thrilled.
That was our first princess cruise, we were happy with our BB room, they on the otherhand, were platinum members.
$744 per person for a VS, they were on top of the world.
Needless to say, we hung out in their cabin alot! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Great upgrades DO happen!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;7;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] until the Caribbean Princess!

Sovereign of the Seas 8/98
Premier Seabreeze 4/99
Norwegian Wind 4/00
Norwegian Majesty 4/01
Holland America Volendam 11/01
Grand Princess 4/02
Carnival Fascination 5/02
Costa Atlantica 11/02
Golden Princess 3/03
Explorer of the Seas 7/03
Sun Princess 11/03
Caribbean Princess 07/04

Pleeese!!! I am so tired of hearing about people wanting upgrades. For God's sake if you want a full suite then just book one. When we book a suite, we do it a year in advance and are lucky to get one then. I find it very hard to believe that people are getting these great uprades!

Well, Bellagio, these great upgrades DO happen,
and as I've posted before on this board, we received a VS upgrade from Category BB for
our Golden cruise in December.

We booked 10 weeks out, it was only our second cruise with Princess, and yes, I would NOT have
paid $2,600 per person which was the cost at that time. Instead, I paid $737 per person for
Cat BB which was the category that my husband and I would still be perfectly happy with, and
did receive a beautiful Vista Suite, and with the additional $3,726 savings we bought a forthcoming trip to Hawaii with all the trimmings and a future cruise on Diamond Princess too!
Hey, if money's no object, by all means, buy the best that you can afford. But even those that can afford the best still like a bargain.

Carnival Holiday 6/92
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 6/94
Celebrity Infinity 6/28/01
Star Princess 2/08/03
Golden Princess 12/06/03
Diamond Princess 9/25/04

We have been very lucky to have been visited by the "upgrade fairy" twice on Princess. In February we were booked in an AA mini suite on the Golden & the week of the cruise we were upgraded to a Penthouse Suite. Last October we were booked in a BB balcony on the Grand and were upgraded to a Vista Suite.
We always book a cabin that we will be very happy with, but an upgrade isn't bad either!
The only problem.....you get spoiled in a suite.
Enjoy your cruise!
Nancy

Just off the 5-8 Diamond to Alaska and was upgraded from AA Mini Suite to An Emerald aft Vista Suite.

What a fantastic room, location and all.

This was my first Princess cruise, and I look forward to more, upgrade or not. :-)

MTS

The upgrades sounds great. I have an AA mini suite booked for our 10/24 cruise on the Golden. I'm thrilled with that and the location but if the upgrade fairy were to visit me, I would be very excited.

Archived