Unwanted upgrades

sianjane1

The reason was because we have 2 bookings under different cabin types and p&o upgrades the cabin my kids were in which meant that unless they upgraded us as well we wouldn't be on the same deck. It has now been resolved but we have had to accept an aft cabin, which I have now been told is not such a good idea. I am just worried that p&o might change the booking again even though they have now said no upgrades on the booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The reason was because we have 2 bookings under different cabin types and p&o upgrades the cabin my kids were in which meant that unless they upgraded us as well we wouldn't be on the same deck. It has now been resolved but we have had to accept an aft cabin, which I have now been told is not such a good idea. I am just worried that p&o might change the booking again even though they have now said no upgrades on the booking.

Is this the children were on a saver fare, and you were on select.They slotted in the children anywhere they had space -as per saver fare t and c and you paid extra to be on the same deck.

If it is and you have now told them you do not wish to be upgraded yourself , then you should stay where you are...however with a saver fare there is a slight chance they (the children) could be moved again, as you cannot specify no upgrades on saver fares.Let us know how this works out

We always choose an aft cabin, because we think it's one of the quietest parts of the ship. We especially like the ones right at the back with great view of the wake

We always choose an aft cabin, because we think it's one of the quietest parts of the ship. We especially like the ones right at the back with great view of the wake

sianjane, I think you can safely rely on tartanexile's opinion above on this one as a seasoned cruiser and trusted reviewer - and fan of Aft cabins. :)

With due respect to Jody, she has only had the one P&O cruise and it was on Britannia, not Azura.

I really want to try one of these myself, so look forward to your own review. I do think though that you seem to be worrying far too much about this and should be now sitting back looking forward to your cruise. :)

Edited by Scriv

sianjane, I think you can safely rely on tartanexile's opinion above on this one as a seasoned cruiser and trusted reviewer - and fan of Aft cabins. :)

With due respect to Jody, she has only had the one P&O cruise and it was on Britannia, not Azura.

I really want to try one of these myself, so look forward to your own review. I do think though that you seem to be worrying far too much about this and should be now sitting back looking forward to your cruise. :)

Thanks Scriv :)

The view might be good, but if it's rough, you want to be midships or slightly forward. Just my opinion of course

They say that and although we notice the different fore, we have always found midship / aft cabins pretty smooth on the larger ships- one of the reasons we keep booking them. We've crossed the Atlantic numerous times in aft cabins and we've never had a problem

jody we had lots of soot on our starboard mid-ships balcony recently on QM2 and the same on Black Watch Fred Olsen but never had a problem with soot on P&O. Maybe just lucky or......??

Edited by tartanexile81

Thanks Scriv :)

They say that and although we notice the different fore, we have always found midship / aft cabins pretty smooth on the larger ships- one of the reasons we keep booking them. We've crossed the Atlantic numerous times in aft cabins and we've never had a problem

jody we had lots of soot on our starboard mid-ships balcony recently on QM2 and the same on Black Watch Fred Olsen but never had a problem with soot on P&O. Maybe just lucky or......??

We also like the aft cabins looking out over the wake because we find them quieter. We gave not noticed any significant difference with movement and we have never suffered from soot on either Ventura or Azura nor on several of the Princess grand class ships though we did not have a "wake" cabin when we were on Britannia.

People come to this website for honest advice. For those who doubt that P&O ships have a SOOT problem just go to Youtube and type 'P&O soot'

You mean the one video of one ship (Britannia) hardly P&O having a soot problem.

We have always had balconies and in all our cruises we have not had a problem.

Clearly there has been or still is a problem on Britannia but I cannot remember it being mentioned recently.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Clearly there has been or still is a problem on Britannia but I cannot remember it being mentioned recently.

Couple of people on our roll call mentioned that Soot is still a problem on Britannia as recently as last month in the Norweigian Fiords and spoilt their clothes. P&O washed them free of charge but soil marks were still present.

Some people have been told that it is design fault with the funnels but it is more likely they are still burning the high sulphur fuels. I wouldn't choose an Aft Cabin whilst the problem still exists especially cruising the Caribbean where the emission Laws are still relaxed.

People come to this website for honest advice. For those who doubt that P&O ships have a SOOT problem just go to Youtube and type 'P&O soot'

Sorry jody75, I am being honest. We haven't had a soot problem in a stern cabin. I don't doubt that some passengers may have had a problem, maybe. But us? No.

Jody, We invariably have a balcony cabin and while don't doubt that Britannia has a soot problem because so many people have reported it, I can assure you that we have not had a soot problem on any of our cruises, many of which have been in aft cabins. We did not have a problem on Britannia either but we did not have an aft cabin on her, we were midship on the port side.

On 2-3 occasions we sunbathed on Britannia on a deck immediately below the funnels and thankfully didn't have a problem with soot at all. Maybe it fluctuates according to the prevailing weather conditions/how fast the ship is travelling? Have never had a soot problem on our two other P&O cruises.

Yep soot is a bit of a problem it ruined my white bikini before I realised what the problem was not a problem though P & O refunded me, know i know I will avoid the area if I go on Britannia again.

Cannot fault P & O CS I have had a few issues and all have been settled professionally and fairly - I am not a greedy person and a bit of soot does not ruin my holiday!!