Next generation...just home

Sikwemu

We're all often told that the "next" generation of cruisers won't like Cunard's more formal appeal. My son and his wife (early 40s) and daughter (13) are just back from the August 1 cruise and they had 3 days in NY. They have cruised QE & QV so not total newbies but I was on tenterhooks as to their reaction to the remastered QM2.

They absolutely loved the Queen Mary from stern to bow. It was everything they had always hoped and the granddaughter has a bucket list for next time she is on. They thought the formal nights were fantastic and would have been quite happy for there to have been another. My granddaughter dined with them each night and thought it "seriously cool" the way folk dressed up. So the frocks, the high tea, the lectures, the lack of a cinema under the stars or a wave machine hasn't put them off at all.

There may only be three of them but they are the next generation (and the one after) and they are more than happy with what Cunard give

We're all often told that the "next" generation of cruisers won't like Cunard's more formal appeal. My son and his wife (early 40s) and daughter (13) are just back from the August 1 cruise and they had 3 days in NY. They have cruised QE & QV so not total newbies but I was on tenterhooks as to their reaction to the remastered QM2.

They absolutely loved the Queen Mary from stern to bow. It was everything they had always hoped and the granddaughter has a bucket list for next time she is on. They thought the formal nights were fantastic and would have been quite happy for there to have been another. My granddaughter dined with them each night and thought it "seriously cool" the way folk dressed up. So the frocks, the high tea, the lectures, the lack of a cinema under the stars or a wave machine hasn't put them off at all.

There may only be three of them but they are the next generation (and the one after) and they are more than happy with what Cunard give

Great to hear this. I hope Cunard are listening re the formal nights. It is what makes Cunard different to other cruise lines.

Happy cruising

Regards Pat

Thank you for sharing your family's (positive) experience. I'm not surprised. Older folks have more time for ship travel, but that doesn't mean it is something ONLY older people (or people of a certain generation) would enjoy.

I know my children and grandchildren would react the some way your family did---IF they ever find the time (which I hope someday will come).

Again, thank you for your posting!

Jimmybean

We are the same way. My wife and I are in our early thirties but consider ourselves old souls. We are into trying new foods, dressing up, learning, and the arts. I'm actually reading the book written by a man who will be a guest speaker on our sailing. We've cruised many times before but not on Cunard. I have a feeling this is exactly what we are looking for! Can't wait to set sail!

While it is more expensive than we are used to we are looking forward to comparing the differences. It may be we need to have an interior room over a balcony on another "party" cruise line.

But, it may be worth it!

Yes, there were a big group of children on that sailing. They all seemed to be having a ball!

When my kids were small, we had formal, semi formal and casual nights cruising on Princess. This was not so much in the distance past (they are in their twenties). They always enjoyed dressing up. I think that there are always a population of people who do.