Travel iron

tayjay2001

Absolutely not - they are seen as a fire risk.

I understand the rules, as we have had an iron "confiscated" by the naughty police. My question is - what is the safety difference between a small travel iron, in room kettles or the irons in the launderette??, or even leaving mobile phones on charge whilst out of the room, or through the night.

I did not know you could not a take an Iron.

We bought a travel iron last year to take on Britannia as our 1st cruise and did not know what to expect.

We did not use it but there was no issues with our luggage.

Thanks

Glenn

I did not know you could not a take an Iron.

We bought a travel iron last year to take on Britannia as our 1st cruise and did not know what to expect.

We did not use it but there was no issues with our luggage.

Thanks

Glenn

Buy a lottery ticket - you were very lucky :D

I understand the rules, as we have had an iron "confiscated" by the naughty police. My question is - what is the safety difference between a small travel iron, in room kettles or the irons in the launderette??, or even leaving mobile phones on charge whilst out of the room, or through the night.

The irons in the laundry room have a timer, and will automatically switch off when the time runs out. Don't know what you mean about in-room kettles? They also switch off when they boil so I don't see them as a fire risk. The trouble with travel irons is that they can be left on in the cabin, unattended. With the 'motion of the ocean', they can fall onto the carpet or bedding and ...................... :eek:

Mobile phone chargers switch off when phone is charged. Tablets the same. There may be an issue with cheap fake chargers bought from the corner shop or market stall.

Mobile phone chargers switch off when phone is charged. Tablets the same. There may be an issue with cheap fake chargers bought from the corner shop or market stall.

My iPnone 6s charger is genuine Apple (plug with USB port came with the phone) and it gets very hot and I have not known it to switch of when the phone is charged? I would not want to leave it on whilst sleeping.

My iPnone 6s charger is genuine Apple (plug with USB port came with the phone) and it gets very hot and I have not known it to switch of when the phone is charged? I would not want to leave it on whilst sleeping.

I have had many makes and brands of non Apple phones. They do get warm when charging but have always switched off when device was fully charged.

A travel iron doesn't switch off unlike a kettle. You are not allowed to leave any items charging whilst you are out of the cabin. We did experience a fire on our deck on the Azura caused be someone using a multi-plug and leaving items charging.

In our muster drill on Oceana in May we were told we mustn't leave items charging when we were not in the cabin. I know when I charge my iPad the plug gets really warm and I never leave that charging overnight.

In our muster drill on Oceana in May we were told we mustn't leave items charging when we were not in the cabin. I know when I charge my iPad the plug gets really warm and I never leave that charging overnight.

I have never sailed on Britannia or Azura, but understand that they have a receptacle near the cabin door into which your cruise card must be inserted to switch and keep the power on. In this situation, removing the card when leaving the cabin will presumably switch off the power sockets as well as the lights. Is this the case or do they, like some hotels which use this system, have one socket which stays powered?

I have never sailed on Britannia or Azura, but understand that they have a receptacle near the cabin door into which your cruise card must be inserted to switch and keep the power on. In this situation, removing the card when leaving the cabin will presumably switch off the power sockets as well as the lights. Is this the case or do they, like some hotels which use this system, have one socket which stays powered?

Yes, there is one socket that remains powered.

On Azura there is one socket labelled 'always on'.

The card slot does not need to have your cruise card in. Any card will do, it just needs to be strong enough to force the contacts apart, much like the plastic strip you get in battery powered appliances. I used my Debenham's coffee loyalty card last time. I like to replace my cruise card into my bag immediately, otherwise I leave without it and lock myself out :p. I'm not used to doors that lock themselves at home.

Edited by FangedRose

I'm flabbergasted that some posters think there is no problem or risk leaving phones, i pads etc on charge when they leave their cabin. The cabin steward (in a previous posting) who encouraged/helped a guest to charge their appliance when out of the cabin needs reporting to Housekeeping Management. :mad:

I've never sailed on P&O, however I do sail with Cunard & Seabourn, both of these cruise lines include a strict briefing (as part of their guest emergency drill) on the danger of leaving any appliance on charge when away from their cabin or even overnight.

Most hotels these days also include this information in the In- Room Guest Information Pack.

No one, particularly at sea should be leaving things on charge when not around.

The cruise lines correctly advise that you should not have chargers switched on when not in the cabin. I do have a problem with overnight though!. I have 3 things to charge, camera battery, kindle and electric toothbrush. It is quiet a juggling act to keep all 3 charged in the limited time available. So OK I cheat, the electric toothbrush goes on charge some nights :( Hopefully it will be OK because I use the high quality chargers that come with the devices, not some cheap alternative bought of ebay.

An interesting story - there was a nightime house fire locally. The house was gutted but everyone got out alive because they had a working smoke alarm, apparently the fire started in a cheap ebay type charger! It was a modern terrace and the houses next door were smoke and fume damaged. Everyone is in alternative accommodation and will be for years :eek:

My advice is, if you must cheat, only use approved chargers and don't take a multi socket strip. Also, leave the mobile phone in itys correct place, switched off in the safe.