National Museum of Archeology VALETTA

I've visited this museum in Valletta (since I tend to leave no archaeological museum unexplored.....:o).

It's a very nice, modern museum with good displays. Not huge, but several significant things are found in the displayed collections.

In prehistoric times, Malta (and surrounding islands) were home to a very advanced culture that built temple complexes and hypogea, some of which can be visited on the island today. I especially recommend the Hal Saflieni hypogeum (very limited number of visitors allowed in daily, reservations are a must), and the nearby Tarxien temples to get an idea of this society and what they were capable of.

Hal Saflieni info: http://www.visitmalta.com/en/info/hypogeum

Prehistory is not my era, but I could appreciate the beautiful decorative items in the museum. The most famous is the so-called Sleeping Lady, a small sculpture of a woman lying on a couch that is exquisite, very detailed, and full of personality. This link shows a few photos of the museum to give you an idea visually: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g190328-d313289-i77652378-National_Museum_of_Archaeology-Valletta_Island_of_Malta.html

I agree, its a small museum but does have some really beautiful things. The stones were actually taken from the stone age sites and brought into the museum and copies made to place back at the sites. I don't think we were in there an hour but it was interesting.