April sailing on the Epic advise please

cruiseruth49

Hi, thinking of booking for middle April next year over Easter on the Epic and I have a few questions.

The stops are Tangier (Morocco), Gran Caneria, Lanzorote, Malaga, does anyone have experience of these places in April, was it hot enough to sit on deck and use the pool, hot enough for the beach were there are ones? Are the pools heated? The average temps aren't too bad from what I have looked up.

Which of these places have beaches near enough to get to from the port and how long to get to them and how did you get to them?

Thanks

Ruth

I did the same cruise last April and am thinking of doing it again next April.

The weather was mixed. For the most part it was warm enough but overcast. There was maybe only 2 or 3 days during the entire cruise that would have been suitable for the beach. It could be that I just got unlucky... as you say the average April temperatures for these places are better than what I got.

The ships pools are not heated. To be honest the Epic pools are small and full of screaming kids so I seldom go near them anyway.

In Gran Caneria there is a small city beach about 15 minutes flat walk from the ship. There is a larger beach outside Las Palmas which would be a taxi ride away. I haven't been as the weather wasn't good on that day.

I have been to all the other ports you mention at one time or other. I don't know of any beaches within walking distance of the ports however others may be able to correct me. You could also look at the individual port reviews on cruise critic for suggestions.

We did a similar cruise in January and had lovely weather on port days- around mid twenties. Maybe not hot enough to go in the sea but more than hot enough to sit out in shorts and tshirts, so in April I would expect the weather to be good enough for the beach at least in the Canaries.

In Gran Canaria there is indeed a beach around 15 mins walk from the port. I wouldn't call it small! It was a lovely beach with lots of loungers and bathroom facilities etc, and many cafes and bars along the front. In places the water is fairly choppy and you'll see a lot of windsurfers.

In Malaga you can go to Malagueta beach which is a short walk from the cruise terminal. Just head out from the ship and you will find the walkway branches off towards the left or right. The left will take you to the modern marina area and the town. The right will take you to the beach. Again around a 10-15 minute walk from the ship. However there's loads to see in Malaga so I wouldn't just sit on the beach all day, and with it being Spain rather than the Canaries the weather may not be as good.

We were on the early April cruise this year...it was a blast ! There were times you could use ship pool and days it was too cool. I don't think we had beach weather for swimming, but it was comfortable. If you just lie in the sun that would be doable. Great weather for walking and exploring ports. We spent a lot of time in spice H2O. We like to be outside and that is really the only option to see the ocean. It's one of those cruises you need to plan for different weather conditions...:)

Thank you for your replies, they have been very helpful. I am taking my 9 year old so we really want warm weather and beaches. We make look at something different later in the year. It's hard as I got a really good deal for this cruise and we liked the ship, I can't afford the more expensive ones that are in Summer. I did find a good deal with Royal Caribbean in the Summer holidays, I always wanted to sail with them but the reviews were mostly bad

I haven't cruised for about 14 years, my first cruise was NCL about 22 years ago which was very nice but now they are so different and so much more fun!

Ruth

If this cruise is a good deal, I think you should book. The extra things on board such as slides should be enough to keep your son happy. Also since it will be Easter break there will be a lot of other children on board and he might find a lot of friends. I think if the weather cooperates then plan one beach day and plan to see a bit of the locales as well in the other ports. Have a look at the roll call for this sailing and see if anyone else has tours booked that need others to join in, that way you can save a lot of money ... or if anyone wants to go in on a taxi to a beach with you!

Go and have fun! :D

Edited by Sauer-kraut

We booked this cruise a month and a half ago and my husband had similar questions/concerns. We will be traveling with our 7 and 10 year old. I think as someone else stated, you have to prepare for all types of weather on this itinerary at this time. I know my boys will love the pool and slides when the weather is nice (and perhaps a beach?) but I also like the culture that is offered in the ports and weather that might not be too hot and perfect to explore the Alhambra in Granada or walking around Tangier and the islands.

Edited by Coarsegold_Mom

we did the same cruise this year and temperatures were a bit disappointing

However we did have some sunny days to get a tan

On Tenerife and Gran Canaria we docked at the North of the islands which have lower temperatures

Cruisers who went to the southern part of the islands beaches via taxi or car hire said they had lovely weather

I did the Epic 10 night RT from Barcelona last year with stops in Sicily and Sardinia instead of the exact itinerary that you are considering. The Meditteranean was cooler and cloudier than I expected with most days only reaching the high 50's Fahrenheit or mid 60's. True also of my 3 days pre trip in barcelona; only 2 days warm and sunny; but still just high 70's, not really beach weather. But it was great for sight seeing in Rome, Florence, and Naples.