Escape MDR food

jennmaybe

We're sailing Escape next month and I've read mixed comments regarding the food & service in the MDR on Escape. We're not ones who have to eat in the MDR every night because sometimes we just don't feel like it, but I do have a couple of questions for those of you who have recently sailed Escape.

I'm wondering if the average time to allow in the MDR is still around the 2 hour mark. I've read many folks on here who have commented that they spent nearly 2 hrs for dinner in the MDR. Just wondering if that is the norm for Escape.

My other question is regarding the swordfish. I saw swordfish on the menu for Escape and I'd like to hear from anyone who has had that for dinner & if you would share your opinion on it. We love swordfish and can only cook it at home since we do not have a restaurant anywhere near us that serves it, so we get excited when we travel and have the opportunity to have that for dinner. With that being said, we planned to have dinner at Garcia's in Miami the night we arrive in MIA, but we do not eat swordfish twice in one week. So, we're trying to determine if we should eat at Garcia's in MIA or wait and eat it on the ship. We do not mind paying for it at Garcia's if the quality of the fish may disappoint us on the ship. I'm just trying to figure out if we should keep our plans to eat at Garcia's or if the swordfish is delicious on the ship. :)

I think the food is the MDR on the Escape is really good, IMO. Some of the best I've experienced in eight cruises with NCL.

I haven't had the swordfish. In general, if a land-based restaurant is great, it's probably better than you'll in a shipboard restaurant that services thousands in a night. I'd get it at Garcia's if you are really craving awesome swordfish and know it's very good there. A much safer bet.

I think the longest dining experience we had (due to service) was maybe 1 hour, 15 min. So there were some delays, but not every night. Usual was about 45 minutes...a good pace for us. If you are nervous about getting to a show, let them know immediately when you sit down.

Edited because I misunderstood your "2 hour" question on first read.

Edited by weltek

Our meals in the MDR generally took about 90 minutes or less. Never longer than that. This, obviously, can vary greatly. We are fast orderers, which helps a lot.

Sorry, I've not had the swordfish. We've always enjoyed all of our meals there though.

The MDR is good. No complaints. Our experience is 60+ Minutes,,, but we eat quickly and move on to evening activities.

I can't speak specifically to the swordfish. I'll order a lot of fish entrees, but they are usually a bit over cooked for my taste. I still order them,,, but mass produced fish is not the same as a cook-to-order fish you get from a restaurant ashore.

Meal time can vary depending on how quickly your order and eat. If you want to have a faster paced meal to go see a show simply let your waiter know.

IMO if the land restaurant in Miami has fresh swordfish I would have that. Any fish on the ship will not be caught fresh.

Thanks everyone! I feel better about the time in the MDR. Seems like it has gotten better over the last several months or so.

Yeah, hubby was thinking along the same lines as you guys about the land-based restaurant having fresh fish, so I think we may go with having it at Garcia's. :)