Unlimited Internet

teaser961

I *think* the iPhone hotspot shares cellular data only, not wifi data.

Correct. The only possible options I've found for "i" or Android devices are travel routers that create a hotspot. Aside from reliability issues of the devices themselves, getting the log-in access page can be problematic without a computer. Not to say that others don't exist even though I've been researching this for years.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

There is a trick to using more than one device.

Google "Connectify" and download that free program. It will allow you to rebroadcast your internet connection to other devices for free. This also works at hotels, on airplanes, or anything else that only allows one device to be connected at a time. I use it, and it works.

Connectify looks like it only works with Windows devices, not iPhones/iPads/Androids.

Yes, it would work.

You won't get lags with calls, but perhaps "cut outs" when the connection lags. However, I used a version of a Wifi phone (I'll explain below) and it was mostly okay.

You will sometimes get "auto logged out" by the system for no activity after 30 mins, so be aware of that if you are expecting incoming calls (or want to make outgoing ones and discover it suddenly doesn't work!) To remedy this if it happens, simply go to a web browser, go to any web page, and it will force you to re-login.

You do not need a premium service like Vonage to receive calls or send/receive texts while onboard. There are many apps you can download for your phone (search for free texting) which will allow this. Typically these apps will assign you a phone number (which you can give to friends for the cruise only), and then you can both receive free calls on it AND send/receive texts on it. The only restriction typically comes in that it costs money to make outgoing calls, but you can buy some cheap plans for that, and it often gives you something like 10 free minutes.

That's what I did.

Skype also sometimes works for incoming and outgoing calls. You need to sign up for premium service if you want a real phone # and the ability to call out, though. However, some ships block Skype, so beware of that.

Interesting to try. Thanks.

Just wanted to share my experience. I have Verizon and while in Bermuda had the $10 per day per phone plan. Well when I got home I had a couple of hundred dollars worth of extra data charges. Apparently even if you are docked in Bermuda, while on the ship the plan is not valid. I was not aware of this and neither were my kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Connectify, as a virtual router, is based on Windows platform - similar to other hotspots & tethering solution, even if it works on "slow" satellite broadband connection - will reduce your speed/bandwidth by as much as 50% as you are sharing with the re-broadcast & re-direct, in simple terms.

While traveling or otherwise needing such a setup, I go to one of 2 nano travel router well established with functionality to act as a secured WiFi hotspot for tethering/sharing with firewall control ... among other features. Available on Amazon & eBay, inexpensive & it will only take a little configuration & it is set - not very practical on a cruise ship or hotels with the typical 1MB "free" WiFi connection. Sometimes, it's just not worth setting it up - ethernet or hard-wired hookup is generally much better & connections are usually faster.

Matchbox-sized, both the TP-Link (TL-WR70*N) and the Edimax (BR-6258N) are USB-self powered, the latter also comes with a small USB power adapter & micro-USB cable (useful when using it with an iPad or Android tablet, etc. that does not provide USB power) and the Edimax has both WAN & LAN port connection.

b84bd11a01f311bf88c609e27dccdb9c.jpg

Pre-cruise & post-cruise while staying at a hotel or waiting at the airport lounge, these gadgets offer a little extra firewall protection - hardly taking up any extra space in the gadget pouch (OK, I have several of them ... LOL)

Unless you have an unlimited internet plan, please be careful as they can quickly "burn" up your allocated data allowance on your cruise if you remained connected in the background.

*** On a related note, Google "Duo" is the newest video calling, simple & easy to use, it's like FaceTime video, except that it works on Android (obviously) and also with iPhones across the plaforms. Quality is very good and is free to download & use, give it a try - another option to Skype and Hangouts.

Edited by mking8288

Just wanted to share my experience. I have Verizon and while in Bermuda had the $10 per day per phone plan. Well when I got home I had a couple of hundred dollars worth of extra data charges. Apparently even if you are docked in Bermuda, while on the ship the plan is not valid. I was not aware of this and neither were my kids.

You do need to focus on which cellular provider you are connected to.

The ship normally turns off its cellular service any time it is near land and in port. Your charges are more likely from someone leaving their cell phone on while at sea (or sneaking on to the ship's cell phone tower at sea). You need to make sure that you are in airplane mode or data roaming off or celluar data off when you are at sea, other wise your phone will connect to the ship's cell tower.

Connectify, as a virtual router, is based on Windows platform - similar to other hotspots & tethering solution, even if it works on "slow" satellite broadband connection - will reduce your speed/bandwidth by as much as 50% as you are sharing with the re-broadcast & re-direct, in simple terms.

While traveling or otherwise needing such a setup, I go to one of 2 nano travel router well established with functionality to act as a secured WiFi hotspot for tethering/sharing with firewall control ... among other features. Available on Amazon & eBay, inexpensive & it will only take a little configuration & it is set - not very practical on a cruise ship or hotels with the typical 1MB "free" WiFi connection. Sometimes, it's just not worth setting it up - ethernet or hard-wired hookup is generally much better & connections are usually faster.

Matchbox-sized, both the TP-Link (TL-WR70*N) and the Edimax (BR-6258N) are USB-self powered, the latter also comes with a small USB power adapter & micro-USB cable (useful when using it with an iPad or Android tablet, etc. that does not provide USB power) and the Edimax has both WAN & LAN port connection.

Pre-cruise & post-cruise while staying at a hotel or waiting at the airport lounge, these gadgets offer a little extra firewall protection - hardly taking up any extra space in the gadget pouch (OK, I have several of them ... LOL)

Unless you have an unlimited internet plan, please be careful as they can quickly "burn" up your allocated data allowance on your cruise if you remained connected in the background.

*** On a related note, Google "Duo" is the newest video calling, simple & easy to use, it's like FaceTime video, except that it works on Android (obviously) and also with iPhones across the plaforms. Quality is very good and is free to download & use, give it a try - another option to Skype and Hangouts.

This is all too complicated for the average cruiser, and also unnecessary.

Connectify will not noticeably slow down a shipboard internet connection.

You are correct that speed is "lost" when the computer receives the connection and then rebroadcasts it back out, but that only becomes noticeable when connected to a fast/stable internet connection and downloading a large file -- neither of which apply to cruise passengers.

The slowness of cruise ship connections comes from the numerous stoppages of data.

As I stated before, while many don't realize it, the slowness of downloading e-mail or browsing the web on a cruise ship primarily comes from receiving a small burst of data, then receiving no data, then receiving a burst of data again, etc. It is very rare that you have a very slow but stable connection.

Even if you do have a slow but stable connection, the loss of speed with your computer receiving it and rebroadcasting it through Connectify is negligible compared to the slow speed of the data you're receiving in the first place.

To give you an example, say that I put a post-it note on a snail on the other side of your backyard. The snail VERY SLOWLY craws the post-it over to you, and then once you get it, you will hand it to your mother, who is sitting 50 feet away from you.

Will the fact that you have to bring the post-it over to your mother make much of a difference in the overall time it takes for her to get it? NO! Because almost all of the time will have been taken up by the snail crawling it over to you, while you walking it 50 feet to your mother can be done within a few seconds.

So apply this here as the snail being the cruise ship internet connection, and Connectify being you, and your mother being the user of the 2nd device.

Bottom line: Connectify works great to use devices simultaneously (without extra cost) on the same internet connection on the ship.

You do need to focus on which cellular provider you are connected to.

The ship normally turns off its cellular service any time it is near land and in port. Your charges are more likely from someone leaving their cell phone on while at sea (or sneaking on to the ship's cell phone tower at sea). You need to make sure that you are in airplane mode or data roaming off or celluar data off when you are at sea, other wise your phone will connect to the ship's cell tower.

Agree. First thing we do after sail away.