Liquor Store near the port - Venice

soaddictive

Hey Guys,

I wanted to pick up a few bottles of wine to take on my cruise with me (it is allowed - I checked). Do you know if there is a store at the airport (Marco Polo) or within walking distance of the cruise port? I asked my transfer company if we can make a stop and they are charging me quite a bit to do this.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

If you're particular, bring your favorite bottles with you from home!

We brought 2 bottles of alcohol with us. Wrapped each bottle in bubble wrap, then put them in plastic bags, and tucked them in the middle of the suitcase.

The bottles had quite a trip .... flew seattle- paris-venice, a cruise, then flew to portugal. The bottles were a gift for relatives in portugal.

I am planning on having at least 7-8 bottles so I cannot bring them from home. I figured given my wine choices are Italian that I should be able to buy them in Venice! I don't mind making a stop from the airport to a wine shop that will have a good selection of regional wines.

I am not opposed to going to the coop, but from what I have read, they seem to have boxed wine or wines priced at 2 -3 euros. I do not know if they will have the full bodied reds I am after, hence why I just asked for suggestions:)

Also found this place - has Amarone in the name ;)

http://www.allamarone.com/ closed Wednesday 1131 San Polo, Venice 30125 (they sell wine in bottles to take away)

There are 5 Amarones on their "sit in" menu and 1 Barolo; does this equate to what they sell? Not sure but it's likely - their menu matches my experiences on an extended stay - wines mostly "local" to the Veneto, Piemonte and a sprinkling of other regions. Maybe they can help you acquire more but if not.....

Hello,

If the gourmet shops don't stock much in the way of Barolo - they may only have one or two productions - since the gourmet market probably aims to carry a wide variety of food and wine, and probably stays loyal to the region, there may not be much of a variety of quantity of either variety.

I had an occasion to spend a bit of time in the north in Verona, and have been to Venice (plus other parts of Italy) where the markets carried wines of *their* region, which leaned more toward the whites as those grapes dominated in the area. There were reds, just not as many and they tended to be lambruscos from the nearer Emilia-Romagna but also Barbera, some Chianti - Tuscany not too far away and some simple vino di tavola red and whites. I think I bought one Amarone....even though it was warmer weather and I was eating light, it was incredible.

The interesting thing to do sometimes was try varieties that aren't generally ever imported in North America but I understand the interest in trying a fine Italian Barolo or Amarone in Italy - sublime. I'm wondering if either or these shops would be willing to order/obtain bottles for you to pick up? Since you have the driver willing to divert to the shop, might as well see if you can optimize the purchase. Establish a relationship with someone there and this could turn out quite well - hint: use Italian in the correspondence and it might increase the odds! Also - if you do some of the research re: wines you're interested in, getting the wines to the shop (i.e. logistics) to facilitate all this, the more willing they might be to help out. Essentially they'd be warehousing for you....again, assuming they're not carrying large stock, which, I'm guessing they do not.

The only other thing I can think of would be contacting a concierge - or seeing if friends you know that visit Venice *know* a concierge - who might be able to wrangle up the bottles from either a posh hotel or restaurant's cellar and then re-sell them to you. In this case, you might *not* need a transport and could then probably head into Venice the usual way, pick up your bottles and then perhaps when you are done sightseeing, get a water taxi back to port, assuming you're toting a number of bottles - unless the concierge can arrange to get them to your ship.

There's always a way to get something if one wants is enough;) Otherwise, I think it's more likely to find great Amarone and Barolo at tasting events in your home city or at better wine stores. These wines are still higher priced in Italy and so the additional prices we pay here are for import duties, taxes etc and of course there are some profits but, indeed, these are still expensive even in Italy. But, I hope you can get a few or more bottles :D

Buon Gusto!