B Veranda or C Balcony cabin?

shevais

So we are in the final planning stages for our long awaited PG cruise. We are looking at the Nov. 28th, 2016 sailing, and are trying to decide on either a B or C cabin. I understand that you get a slightly larger room and balcony with the B and you get Butler service. That's my main question, is the Butler service worth the money? Does it really get you that much better service? We are loyalty members on other lines and do appreciate some of the perks that come with it such as priority embark/debark and private areas, but I'm not sure any of these really apply to a ship like the PG as it seems like everybody is treated like a VIP.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Having a butler is nice, but no, it's not worth the money.

The B cabin is literally a foot wider I think, than the standard balcony cabin. Bathrooms are identical I believe.

Now the B cabins are forward, on deck 8, which is lovely--you can walk out onto the pool deck whenever you want. I loved that.

But then again, it's a lot more money. I myself don't bother with a balcony at all, I go for a window cabin. Mostly your off the ship, or out on the pool deck.

Save your money stay on deck 6. Most of repeaters will tell you to save even more and stay on deck 4 or 3. That's how we are repeaters! There aren't really any perks or things that separate someone taking their first cruise or 10th. Some internet.

Edited by twin123185

Thanks for the help. This is a big deal kind of trip for us, one we have been saving for a long time. And we will be celebrating turning 40! Not sure we will ever make it back to these islands again so it's a once in a lifetime kind of thing.

Normally on other cruise lines we get a balcony because we love spending time out there and being away from the crowds. But this is where we lack knowledge on how the vibe and flow is on the PG. is it more like a community having this few people on board? Do people spend a lot of time in the common areas and socializing? If so, we enjoy that aspect of cruising, but still enjoy the peace and quiet of our balcony as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by shevais

I would say stay on Deck 4 if you are in money saving mode or in a B.

The Bs are very nice, just by the pool so location is great. The cabins and the balconies are just a tad bigger than other cabins.

Balcony is nice. Socializing is more a thing on this ship than any other I have been on. The ship can be your balcony. BUT if it's your first time in French Polynesia, you should take the cheapest balcony. You say it's a once in a lifetime trip? I said that 8 trips ago.

Thanks for the help. This is a big deal kind of trip for us, one we have been saving for a long time. And we will be celebrating turning 40! Not sure we will ever make it back to these islands again so it's a once in a lifetime kind of thing.

Normally on other cruise lines we get a balcony because we love spending time out there and being away from the crowds. But this is where we lack knowledge on how the vibe and flow is on the PG. is it more like a community having this few people on board? Do people spend a lot of time in the common areas and socializing? If so, we enjoy that aspect of cruising, but still enjoy the peace and quiet of our balcony as well.

You should listen to both posters. You will LOVE PG not because of the cabin, but the experience on deck and beyond. Having said that I would offer one caveat. We enjoy the ability to turn off the AC and enjoy the fresh air from the open balcony door. That's the only reason I would choose a balcony

If you are scrimping and saving for this, by all means get a window cabin on deck 4, or even a porthole on deck 3. The cabins themselves are the same size. The vibe and flow on this ship is what draws people back time after time. It is social, but fairly calm, not a party atmosphere, so it's easy to find peace and quiet around the ship. So save your money in case you get the "flu" and want to go back.

The one time we had a balcony (B), we hardly used it. Either we were out and about off the ship, or out somewhere on the ship. And when the sun's on the balcony, it gets quite hot. The sun is a killer there, remember.

We have been on all of these decks and are scheduled to return in June of 2017 on deck 4. The previous posters are totally correct. I think a balcony cabin us one a sense of more "space" since you are looking out onto the ocean. Also, we could invite our new friends in for a chat and a drink while on the balcony.

No matter where you choose to lay your head you will enjoy the PG.

Great advice and thank you all. We are definitely not in the money saving mode as I've put enough aside over the years to make sure we are comfortable. But I'm thinking it's not worth the almost $3k to get the butler service cabins.

We are getting ready to book this trip and have had some nerves about spending the money and not knowing what kind of time we will have. We aren't hard to please but have read (with a grain of salt) some negative reviews lately.

We've been looking forward to this for about 7 or 8 years now! So glad we can finally put it on the calendar!

The one time we had a balcony (B), we hardly used it. Either we were out and about off the ship, or out somewhere on the ship. And when the sun's on the balcony, it gets quite hot. The sun is a killer there, remember.

On other ships, Wendy uses the balcony a lot; me not so much. So her comments on balconies on the PG should be put into that context.

Great advice and thank you all. We are definitely not in the money saving mode as I've put enough aside over the years to make sure we are comfortable. But I'm thinking it's not worth the almost $3k to get the butler service cabins.

We are getting ready to book this trip and have had some nerves about spending the money and not knowing what kind of time we will have. We aren't hard to please but have read (with a grain of salt) some negative reviews lately.

We've been looking forward to this for about 7 or 8 years now! So glad we can finally put it on the calendar!

You will have a great time. Do not get the butler service. Take a cruise I am on I will do all that stuff for you for much less!

Well apparently my old man brain kicked in. Thought we were doing the 10 night and now she tells me she wants the 11 night that leaves Nov 17th and goes to the Cook Islands.

Any feedback on going there?

Hi,Planning my first PG cruise an found your post re reduced rates on some sailings.We cannot travel until November 2018,thinking about the 11 night cruise. Need help with cabin selection,there will be 3 adults. Was going to go with cat B but upon reading comments think now cat C would be fine.Noted stern ca ins have huge balconies. Are there noise,fume issues here and would we be better mid ship. very excited about this bucket list cruise. Anyone know cost so air deviation, would like to fly in a couple of days early. Thanks, Rhonda

Hi,Planning my first PG cruise an found your post re reduced rates on some sailings.We cannot travel until November 2018,thinking about the 11 night cruise. Need help with cabin selection,there will be 3 adults. Was going to go with cat B but upon reading comments think now cat C would be fine.Noted stern ca ins have huge balconies. Are there noise,fume issues here and would we be better mid ship. very excited about this bucket list cruise. Anyone know cost so air deviation, would like to fly in a couple of days early. Thanks, Rhonda

Hi Rhonda, it looks like you found the discount rate for Canadians from your TA, good. I can't comment on the cat C cabin, never done it. There is one poster here who has travelled with their adult daughter several times who can comment on cabin size and sharing with a third person. The B cabin si really just a titch bigger, but Cruiserdreamer has done both, so she can comment.

I can't remember what the deviation fee is, they tend to keep going up, probably $125. Someone here will tell you, I'm sure. We usually book our own air, since we like to avoid Economy if we can, and Air France has a Premium Economy class on this flight. But they don't fly every day so you have to be fleible.

Well thanks to all of your help, we booked the November 17, 2018 11-night Society and Cook Island cruise this evening and went with a Cat E. We will be doing 2 nights pre-cruise in an overwater in Moorea for the cost of the difference!

Now to wait the almost 800 days!!! Time to do some excursion research!