Dawn vs Escape...Itinerary vs Ship & $2100 Budget

I know this is a very subjective question. I am contemplating what to do for Thanksgiving 2017. What would you do with your $2100?

The Dawn is moving to San Juan and sailing to: Bridgetown (Barbados); Fort-de-France (Martinique); Basseterre (St. Kitts); Philipsburg (St. Maarten); St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands);

I can get an interior with prepaid gratuities on the pool deck for $1500 plus another $600 or so for airfare. I will also spend two days in San Juan with family so an added vacation. Interior is totally fine for me on this trip because it is itinerary intensive.

Escape which sails out of Miami and a 3.5 hr drive is sailing to: St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands); Tortola (British Virgin Islands); Nassau (Bahamas);

I can get an Guarantee Balcony for $2133

I have been to St Thomas and Nassau more times than I wish to count. Have not been to any of the first 3 southern ports.

I have sailed Epic, Getaway (twice as of this Thanksgiving) and Sun. I enjoyed all of them immensely for different reasons.

So what would you do with your money? Itinerary vs Bells & Whistles

It depends if you are a "the ship is the destination" person or a "the ports are the destination" type of person. Since you've been to St Thomas and Nassau many times, you may want to consider the Southern route. If you prefer staying on the ship at port, the Escape would be my preference.

We had this exact discussion recently when booking a cruise for NYE. Southern or Escape (which we did in May with the kids). Ultimately we decided we had such a good time on Escape WITH the kids, we wanted to experience it without them. Southern routes are offered year-round on several lines, so we can always experience that.

It depends if you are a "the ship is the destination" person or a "the ports are the destination" type of person. Since you've been to St Thomas and Nassau many times, you may want to consider the Southern route. If you prefer staying on the ship at port, the Escape would be my preference.

We had this exact discussion recently when booking a cruise for NYE. Southern or Escape (which we did in May with the kids). Ultimately we decided we had such a good time on Escape WITH the kids, we wanted to experience it without them. Southern routes are offered year-round on several lines, so we can always experience that.

I am a water adventurer island explorer kind of traveler. I guess my thought is I have done Getaway without kids and this year with kids. I can't imagine the Escape is much different. We drank alot and spent time on our balcony and out on some great self booked excursions.

I love visiting new places but wondering if the Dawn will be disappointing after being on Epic and Getaway.

I am a water adventurer island explorer kind of traveler. I guess my thought is I have done Getaway without kids and this year with kids. I can't imagine the Escape is much different. We drank alot and spent time on our balcony and out on some great self booked excursions.

I love visiting new places but wondering if the Dawn will be disappointing after being on Epic and Getaway.

The ship is definitely different, but the itinerary is very port-intensive. You only have one day at sea, so you won't be spending TOO much time on the ship. The pool deck on the Dawn is far superior to the -aways. I haven't done a Southern route yet, but I'm imagining its a slightly older crowd than your standard Caribbean sailing.

Given it's Thanksgiving, the Escape in particular will probably be CRAZY. And given the design of the ship, I think you'll "feel" the crowd. Because it's out of San Juan, I think fewer families will be on the Dawn.

Between the interest of the ports, and the issue of crowds, I'd do the Dawn. And take my suggestion seriously because I absolutely ADORE the Escape because of the waterfront comfort/food/drink/entertainment offerings. With that many ports, the fewer/less awesome entertainment offerings on the Dawn are less of an issue, IMO.

If you weren't sailing on a major holiday, I'd be more torn.

Yes, if you are just comparing the ships, you'll probably be a little disappointed with the Dawn if you want to be constantly entertained with shows and trendy dining. I don't think the Dawn has a dedicated comedy club, no Spice H20, more "cruise ship decor of yesteryear," less interesting specialty restaurants. The pool deck is very different. Not worse, just different. Some like it much better than the newer ships.

If my main concern was "pool on sea days/explore ports on port days", I'd be very happy on the Dawn. We get restless on sea days and love trendy food and drink, so the newer ships are a better fit for us on sea days. Having done most of the Caribbean ports, we've recently changed to caring more about the ship. If you haven't done the ports, I can see where the ship is less of an issue. We used to be that way.

Some other things to consider: the Dawn recently underwent a HUGE renovation and the public areas look super sharp. Very Epic/Escape-esque. I am more of a "cruise for the ship" type of person, and I'm considering the Dawn in December. That itinerary for the Dawn sounds incredible.

Also remember that if you book at GTY room you won't get the free perks like the drink package and free gratuities. So if you are considering the Escape, maybe an interior or oceanview with perks would be better?

My vote would be the Dawn.

My vote would be for the Dawn. The renovation is miraculous. Was on Gem, and loved the size of that ship. Less people would be better for a busy holiday sailing, I think.

Too bad the Dawn does not have a Spinnaker Lounge. That is the nicest bar on Gem.