Coeliac child

cruiseruth49

Hi, my daughter has Coeliac disease and we may go on a European cruise next summer. I know that cruise lines cater for gluten free passengers so I'm just after anyone's experience of taking a child with Coeliac on a cruise, she will be 9 when we travel and is a fussy eater. How did you child get on and what kind of kid friendly food was available and what ship did you travel on?

Thanks

Hi, my daughter has Coeliac disease and we may go on a European cruise next summer. I know that cruise lines cater for gluten free passengers so I'm just after anyone's experience of taking a child with Coeliac on a cruise, she will be 9 when we travel and is a fussy eater. How did you child get on and what kind of kid friendly food was available and what ship did you travel on?

Thanks

I don't know which cruise line you are thinking of booking but I am also Coeliac and can give you my experience from an adults point of view.

We have cruised with P&O many times. I always state at the time of booking that I need gluten free food. The head waiter gives me the following days menu for both lunch and dinner each evening. Food is prepared in a controlled environment by the special diet chef. They go that extra mile to accommodate any requests that I have and I have had some of the best gluten free food anywhere.

I can't see this being any different for a child. There is a children's menu, so I am sure that the menu can be adapted to gluten free and would work the same way by pre ordering the previous night. Speak to the cruise line before booking to put your mind at rest.

Val

While not a coeliac my daughter is a vegetarian, allergic to nuts, also allergic to certain food colourings and a fussy eater to boot!

We have always found that the cruise lines go out of their way to accommodate her needs. So far we have only cruised Celebrity and P&O and while both were excellent I felt that P&O had the edge. She was given all the menus for the day ahead to choose from and told that anything could be served at lunch or dinner, she often had one of the lunch items in the evening if it took her fancy. The only time her choice was slightly restricted was on the first night, when of course she had not pre-ordered. I was still happy that her food was suitable and there was something she could and would eat.

Both our waiting staff and the maitre de always made a big fuss of her and I am sure that if nothing on the menu appealed they would have found something for her. The only issue is she now expects similar choice and service at home!