Lost power in Bora Bora

twin123185

Dear twin123185,

We have asked the publication to update the article since the ship did not lose power.

The technical issue has been resolved and the m/s Paul Gauguin sailed from Bora Bora yesterday afternoon and arrived Motu Mahana (off the coast of Taha’a), Paul Gauguin Cruises’ private island, this morning as scheduled. The ship had encountered a technical issue due to electronic cards related to propulsion in Bora Bora. A service engineer from France joined the ship yesterday and resolved the issue. During its time in Bora Bora, the ship operated normally, providing all dining, services, activities, and entertainment as usual. The ship ran tender service to and from Vaitape as well as to the line’s private beach in Bora Bora so guests could enjoy the island. Paul Gauguin Cruises also offered a complimentary shore excursion per guest in Bora Bora.

The rest of the itinerary remains as originally scheduled with the ship sailing at 5:00 p.m. today to Moorea to arrive Thursday morning. The Gauguin will then overnight in Moorea and depart Friday at 5:00 p.m. for a 7:30 p.m. arrival into Papeete, Tahiti, on August 19, 2016, and the cruise concludes on August 20, 2016. As compensation, Paul Gauguin Cruises will provide guests a refund of 30% of the cruise fare paid and a $1,000 Future Cruise Credit per person for the two missed Tuamotus ports.

Kind Regards,

Paul Gauguin Cruises

Thanks for clarifying this. The Internet is a dangerous place!

Just to clarify the event.Because of the propulsion problem,the ship stayed three extra days in Bora Boraand did not go to the Tuomotus as per the itinerary.A lot of people booked this cruise because it included the Tuomotus,and were disappointed to miss them,especially those doing scuba dives.

During the day at Taha'a one of the tenders/lifeboats,fell off the ship,ripping off the railing and damaging the decking.Fortunately nobody was hurt.

During the night on the way to Moorea more work was required on the propulsion system,resulting in the ship arriving in Moorea at around 1100hours.This meant that most morning excursions were postponed or cancelled.

Fortunately the weather during the cruise was good and Bora Bora was a good place to be stuck in.It was also generous of PG provide extra complimentary excursions.

So it wasn't all plain sailing,but we still had a good time and are glad we did this cruise.

Just to clarify the event.Because of the propulsion problem,the ship stayed three extra days in Bora Boraand did not go to the Tuomotus as per the itinerary.A lot of people booked this cruise because it included the Tuomotus,and were disappointed to miss them,especially those doing scuba dives.

During the day at Taha'a one of the tenders/lifeboats,fell off the ship,ripping off the railing and damaging the decking.Fortunately nobody was hurt.

During the night on the way to Moorea more work was required on the propulsion system,resulting in the ship arriving in Moorea at around 1100hours.This meant that most morning excursions were postponed or cancelled.

Fortunately the weather during the cruise was good and Bora Bora was a good place to be stuck in.It was also generous of PG provide extra complimentary excursions.

So it wasn't all plain sailing,but we still had a good time and are glad we did this cruise.

Thank God the Captain did not try to force us into the open ocean and try to go to the Tuomotus!! One could only imagine what would of happened with us on the Paul G in the open ocean with no propulsion!

Most of us directly thanked him for his decision to turn the PG around and go back to Bora Bora.

The 30 percent refund and $1000.00 per person future cruise credit plus free excursions is a very good and fair settlement! Thanks PG!!

Edited by azlew
added

Dear twin123185,

We have asked the publication to update the article since the ship did not lose power......

Kind Regards,

Paul Gauguin Cruises

I also have written to the author and tried to place an entry into his blog. No response is coming from him and the blog continues to have the tags "power loss" and "loss".

I am not sure what agenda he has but it certainly is not accurate as far as the tags mentioned.

So Azlew....will you be joining us on the reunion?

Which one (what year??) We have planned the Greek Islands next year but maybe 2018 if there is one. Too bad PG sold the Tiera Moana (spelling?) as I think they sailed the Greeks isles? ANy suggestions for small ships in that area? Thanks.

Edited by azlew

WOW PG knows how to take care of their customers. I am helping a neice and her hubby who booked a 12 nite Mediterranean/Greek Islands cruise on Royal Carribbean next June. RC has chartered the ship and is kicking everyone that was on it off even the ones that have paid in full for everything already. No special anything in return thus far but to be able to rebook on another thrip but not even a price guarantee. no nothing. This is a work in progress and In know from experience as a Realtor that everything is negotiable but their customers shouldn't have to beg a plead for something when they are probably being paid big $$ to charter a ig ship like The Brilliance. I will cruise on PG any day over another line if i am able.

Will be on B2B cruises with them this coming June Bali to Fiji then Fiji to Tahiti after the dry dock repairs happening next may. I have heard talk of a new ship maybe being built or planned to be built to replace her as she is an older gal. Sounds like she may need a little bit more of a dry dock work up come May.

Which one (what year??) We have planned the Greek Islands next year but maybe 2018 if there is one. Too bad PG sold the Tiera Moana (spelling?) as I think they sailed the Greeks isles? ANy suggestions for small ships in that area? Thanks.

Current reunion is July 2017.

Hope to have another one in Jan 2019 if management agrees.

Crystal Esprit is a small ship that does the area. One of the highlights is when they go thru the Corinth canal. Google Tere Moana Corinth canal pics and you will see what I mean.

Enjoy your travels.

Edited by Emdee

• 4 weeks later...
Current reunion is July 2017.

Hope to have another one in Jan 2019 if management agrees.

Crystal Esprit is a small ship that does the area. One of the highlights is when they go thru the Corinth canal. Google Tere Moana Corinth canal pics and you will see what I mean.

Enjoy your travels.

Thanks for the info.

We just talked to our travel agent and it looks like we will be using the generous credit on Paul Gauguin on a 7 day French Poly trip either Febuary,March or April 2018 (our PG cruise credit runs out end of 2018).

What month from Feb thru April is the best for warm water and not too rainy?

As far as reunion : It looks like we are out of sync for any PG reunion cruises by one year..

Thanks for the info.

We just talked to our travel agent and it looks like we will be using the generous credit on Paul Gauguin on a 7 day French Poly trip either Febuary,March or April 2018 (our PG cruise credit runs out end of 2018).

What month from Feb thru April is the best for warm water and not too rainy?

As far as reunion : It looks like we are out of sync for any PG reunion cruises by one year..

The 7 day won't get you to the Tuamotus you missed!

It's a crapshoot. Jan and feb are cheap but rainy. Gets windy after that.

The 7 day won't get you to the Tuamotus you missed!

It's a crapshoot. Jan and feb are cheap but rainy. Gets windy after that.

So wind starts up in March ? I wonder how much the PG rocks in the lagoon besides all the partying? :-)

Uh-Oh!. I can't think of a better place to be stranded.

Being stranded in Bora Bora would be pretty sweet. But Moorea might be better.

Fortunately, the pax didn't miss the private Motu.

And I was amazed and thrilled by not only the detailed post about the problems from the official responder, but the generosity of the compensation. One more reason why I love giving this company my custom. Their "put their money where their mouth is" support of the environment and Polynesian culture is another big one for me.