ATM in Italy and Greece

I have a debit card I want to use to withdraw money in Italy and Greece. It isn't chipped. It only has the magnetic strip. Has anyone recently used a card like this or does it need the chip and pin that is used in Europe? Thanks for your help.

I have a debit card I want to use to withdraw money in Italy and Greece. It isn't chipped. It only has the magnetic strip. Has anyone recently used a card like this or does it need the chip and pin that is used in Europe? Thanks for your help.

I have always used my magnetic strip debit card and PIN at European ATMs - just like I do at my local bank.

I would encourage you to use only the ATMs that are attached to a bank building, and avoid the free-standing ATMs. Also, European ATMs are designed to accept a four-digit PIN; some US accounts have a 5-digit PIN that may not work in Europe.

Many Americans now have a chip card, but it is "chip & sign". Very few Americans have a "chip & pin" card that is common in other parts of the world. As others have mentioned, our Chip and Sign cards are unlikely to work at kiosks in various locations: train stations, gas stations etc. but they work fine at restaurants, hotels etc.

We were on a 2 week Med cruise last year, two months before vacation I called my CC companies and requested new cards with chips. I received them within a week. I didn't want to take any chances, for I have heard horror stories with travelers not able to use their cards in Europe.

So it shouldn't take too long for your replacement cards, hoping you are not planning to rtaveling in the next two weeks.

CT

Go to the bank and untie your debit card from all other accounts(over draft I think it is called), so that if it is skimmed or stolen the only money they can get will be what is in the account. Debit card fraud is harder to get reimbursed for with many Banks.

Thanks for all your input. 5 years ago in Athens, Jerusalem, etc. I used a card with just the magnetic strip at ATM's and never had a problem but in the field of technology that is eons ago. I have both kinds of cards so I guess I will take both and see what happens. My credit union (magnetic strip only) gives me the best ATM rate so that is what I want to use. Maybe I will call them and see if they have chipped cards now. We don't sail for 6 weeks so I think I have time to work on it. Thanks again for trying to help out.

I have never had a problem using an ATM in Europe with my non chip bank card. However, like another poster said, I use a bank ATM-that is attached to a bank. I do have many chip cards for credit cards now, but not a one of them (excluding my Target card), are a chip and pin card. All the new chip cards now are for the most part chip and signature cards. They work fine all over Europe. Actually the non chip cards work too except in a few places (like a previous poster said--bus terminals, etc where one uses their card and there is no one to punch it in). We did have trouble using a non chip card once in Denmark in a McDonalds. You will be fine.

Call your bank and tell them you are going on international trip. They should be able to give you a chip-ed card pretty fast. When I went I used a cc that did not take advantage of me on the conversion fees. Paid it off when we got home and all was good. You may want to make sure that you are protected with a debit card in the respect that if your number gets stolen you wont be responsible for the full amount lost. On a different note, make sure you have something like a pacsafe bag so the undesirables dont cut your bag open and steal your possessions. Pick pockets were bad in some of the Italian cities. Great trip though. Have fun

Thanks again for the information. I do have 2 credit cards with no foreign transaction fees and I will use them when ever possible. There are a couple of vendors for private tours we have booked that require cash euros and my wife loves to shop the street markets and small vendors which will require cash too. I will try to report what I experience once I get back.