Documents for a minor that is not my child

I have taken friends of my daughter when they were 18 and Royal told me on the phone they would need a letter. We did the letter, and was asked for it pier side (Galveston) but not onboard. When taking my niece under the age of 18 we needed it pier side and onboard. Was told by Royal that anyone under 21 is classified as a child onboard and needs to have someone responsible for their actions onboard.

Definitely get the letter.

We often babysit for our grandsons at their home while their parents take a much needed couples vacation. They give us a notarized letter giving us permission to get them medical treatment and it gives us permission to sign them out of school and to give permission for school activities etc.

It has come in handy more than once when the kids got sick at school. The school would not have released them to us without the letter, and the clinic I took one of them to for stitches would not have treated him without the letter. They also leave us their health insurance cards and their medical savings debit card to pay for the copays and pharmacy charges.

The lawyer who drafted the document put a one year time limit on the document, so they get a new one notarized every year and it is left in the desk draw in case we need it even if just babysitting for an evening. We had the 8 year old take a flying leap off the landing and break his arm. By the time his parents arrived at the ER the cast was almost dry.

Edited by DebJ14

• 3 weeks later...

Just did a bit more research on this and wanted to add a helpful link from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency to help you write your letter:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1254/related/1/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

The "Parental Consent Letter" should include the following elements:

• Who
  • What
  • Where
  • When
  • Why

Contact information for the absent parent(s). Having the letter notarized is not necessary but highly recommended. For frequent border crossers, the letter should not exceed one year. It is recommended to have the letter in English.

Also make sure it says you are allowed to sign consents for activities, and bring a few photo copies. We had to go get a copy of the letter for them to keep at the rock wall sign in. Also, in my case, since her mother's last name was different from hers we took a copy of her birth certificate just in case. Make sure it is signed by both parents or provide legal reason why it's only signed by one. The last thing I wanted to do was fly across the country with someone else's kid and not be able to get the on the ship.

When I took my 16-year old grandson on Independence earlier this year, I took 3 copies of the notarized letter. They kept one when I checked in on the ship and when I signed the waiver for him for rock-climbing and the flowrider. At the airport, they asked to see it but didn't keep a copy. They did ask him a couple of questions about his parents, where he lived and what my relationship was to him.