Cruising pregnant/ new born

san92103

My wife and I want to plan a cruise either before her 24th week (per ncl terms) of sometime after the kid is born.

What suggestions do those in the know suggest a cruise while pregnant or post pregnancy? Youngest suitable age?

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When to sail is an extremely personal decision. I would not want to have an infant with me on a cruise, but that is my own opinion. NCL does have an age policy though. The child has to be 6 months at time of sailing for most cruises. 12 months old for cruises with 3 consecutive sea days I believe.

Good luck with your cruise planning. Maybe a nice vacation before the baby is born for you and your wife to relax and enjoy life before it all changes forever.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We cruised with my son when he was 1. It was not easy, and I would not recommend it. Him still learning to walk, not very steady on his feet, he banged his head in the cabin a few times because of the movement of the ship. I would not sail with a child under the age of 3, infants/young toddlers are just too young and there's too many people and too many hazards on a cruise ship.

My daughter was 21 months old on our first cruise. We had a fantastic time, but I don't know that I would enjoy as much a cruise with a child much younger than that. But, as was pointed out, that's a personal decision. If it were me and I had the option, I'd plan to cruise while pregnant rather than when the baby is six months old.

My wife and I want to plan a cruise either before her 24th week (per ncl terms) of sometime after the kid is born.

What suggestions do those in the know suggest a cruise while pregnant or post pregnancy? Youngest suitable age?

Thanks!!!

So many factors...

Which continent are you considering cruising in? A seven day from Barcelona would be much easier for me than an 11 day from Singapore.

How far and what form of transport are you using to travel from home to cruise port?

Do you want to chill out or do sightseeing?

These decisions are so personal but having had two babies, I would certainly say do a cruise before baby arrives and then stay very near to home for as long as you need. However what if you have a pregnancy plagued by morning sickness or other debilitating conditions???? So much to think about.

Our oldest was 19 months on her first cruise and she had a great time. It wasn't very difficult as long as scheduled naps were taken. Our excursions were just going to the beaches. With an infant, please be aware of the rules as far as diapers in the pool area.

Even with 3rd and 4th sail free, it's less expensive to cruise while pregnant. Since you have a choice, I'd vote for sail while pregnant. It'll be a "last chance" to get a good night's sleep. ;)

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Me and my wife Cruised when she was about 12 weeks pregnant and also when our daughter was 14 Months old, again when she was 18 Months old, Again when she was 2 Years old and we are going Again in September(she will be 2 1/2).

My wife didnt have any issues Cruising when she was 12 weeks pregnant but then again that is still early on in the pregnancy. We had a lot of fun and It was nice to go on one last vacation with just the two of us.

Going on a cruise with a toddler is differently different then when it was just the two of us. Depending on what you like to do on vacation it may cause you to not enjoy it as much. My wife and I are easy going people. We are happy just spending time with our daughter in the pool or just walking around the ship. We don't need to be out late or party all night so for us we still loved every minute of our vacation. The crew on the Ships when you have a little kid are amazing! Since so many of the crew have little kids at home that they miss they treated our daughter like a little Princess.

When our daughter was 14 Months old the hardest part was she was at the age where she didnt want to be held any more so she would put up a fit if we tried to hold her. Then when we would put her down she would think it was a fun game to run and have us chase her. This was not bad most of the time but when we got into crowded halls she didnt know enough not to run in front of others. Also dinners can get long so some times it was hard to keep her entertained for the 1-2 hrs that dinners can take.

The Ship we most recently sailed on was the Escape. The nice thing about that boat is they have a Kids program for kids Under the age of 3. However this is not a program that all the ships from NCL have.

I would say you are best off going on a cruise before the baby is born to enjoy one last vacation before the baby arrives, Then down the road depending on how your child travels you can decided if you would like to go on another cruise or do a different vacation with your child.

My son's first cruised when he was 10 months old, then again at 2.5yrs when my younger one was 10 months, then again when they're 2 and 4. We will be going again next month (4 and 6).

We have cruised before we had kids, and it's a totally difference experience cruising with kids. I enjoyed both. Therefore it really depends on what you want from your vacation, whether to relax and enjoy the time with just the two of you or having fun playing with your kid.

I would suggest though if you plan on waiting after your child is born, is to go right at 6 months before the introduction of solid food. We had to take puree food jar with us and it can get heavy.

I'd go before the baby is born. Take care to speak with your wife's medical care providers regarding things you may need to consider with respect to Zika before making plans that involve travel to areas that have been affected by the virus.

As for travel after the baby is born -- reality is you never know how a baby is going to be. Some are happy, easy-going babies and some are just ... not. Once you've met your little one and have a chance to assess how good a traveler he or she will be, you'll have lots of time to see the world. Might be best not to put too much stress on yourself or your wife to take a trip that's been planned and paid for until you see how you'll do.

Best wishes!

I agree with JM above- I had two boys 2 years apart and my first son was a trial for sure. He had severe colic and nothing I did would help him rest. That lasted forever it felt like. My other son was quiet and happy most of the time. I could have easily taken #2 son on a cruise #1 son NEVER!!

We cruised with a 2.5 yo and a 10 month old to Alaska and will be cruising in Europe with a 5.5 yo, 3.5 yo, and a 15 month old. We also did an all inclusive in the Caribbean with an 11 month old.

We love to travel with our kids. That being said, it is very different than traveling without kids.

If you decide to cruise with a baby, I strongly recommend:

- either a balcony suite or a cabin with a separate bedroom area, as baby will go to sleep earlier than you will want to;

- travel with friends/family or pick one of the ships with the baby daycare, as many of the ships only offer child care at ages 3 years old and up;

- pick an itinerary that has some great family friendly excursions (eg in Alaska we did a helicopter ride and dog sledding)

- be prepared to be flexible

- bring a stroller and a baby carrier

Traveling with kids is not for everyone. Most of my friends think we are crazy. But we aren't going to wait a decade to travel. Plus, we love having them with us.

Given the number of people who are against traveling with babies or with certain babies, you may want to wait for baby to arrive before you book.

Edited by ireashmott

Also, if you do travel while your wife is pregnant, ensure your travel insurance covers not only her, but also baby. Many insurers only cover the woman, so if baby comes at 23 weeks, you could be out of pocketing paying for NICU care for 22 weeks abroad. Google it, it has happened.

We haven't cruised yet with our baby, but are about to in late September. I agree with the others about how you will not know how your child will turn out in terms of temperament. Our child is very easy going and has been a joy to have around. We have already traveled as a family and are trying a short cruise to try it out. Since we are not newbie cruisers, we know what to expect while on board a ship, especially since we have been on this route before. The only difference is that we will not be able to relax as much since we will have our baby in tow.

As for cruising while pregnant, I would give the same advice as above. How well will your wife be while pregnant? I had borderline HBP for the later 4 months, and I am glad I did not take a vacation during this time. I was also miserable during certain phases of my pregnancy, and even the best cruise would not have helped.

Are you new to cruising? If you are, perhaps plan a shorter cruise regardless of what option you choose.

Thank you to each of your for your prompt and valuable insight! We both greatly appreciate it!

My wife and I have agreed to go on a cruise for our 2nd anniversary. (SEP 2018). That way our first child will be about 18months old, can certainly travel and is still considered an infant for travel purposes. We enjoy relaxing on the cruises, and strolling the ports we visit, so we most likely would do another European cruise.

Seeing that we live in Southern California, we did consider doing a Mexico/Pacific Coast cruise as a "baby moon", but then ZIKA came around and that immediately was scrubbed... No cruise is worth the risk. (Carnival does Long Beach to Mexico. NCL does Mexico to Washington and back etc... etc..)

Perhaps in a year or so the region will be safer and we can consider a cruise there.

It'll definitely be Haven.

My follow up inquiry would be: For those who have cruised with little ones, have any of you considered little goodie bags or gift for your cabin neighbors apologizing for the infant? Similar to what you sometimes see on planes? Little bag with ear plugs, candy type of stuff?

My follow up inquiry would be: For those who have cruised with little ones, have any of you considered little goodie bags or gift for your cabin neighbors apologizing for the infant? Similar to what you sometimes see on planes? Little bag with ear plugs, candy type of stuff?

If someone in the cabin next to me gave me a goodie bag as an apology for their child, I would absolutely dread being in a cabin next them. It's like saying, "Hey, my kid is going to make your life miserable, but here's some candy." :eek:

I think that is a very kind gesture. I had someone do that on a plane once because they didn't know how their child would do. It was little candies and ear plugs with a cute little note. The child in question slept through the whole flight, but it was still a very kind thing to do.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We took our son at 1 yr old on a cruise to Mexico. Included a 6 hour flight each way. He loved the cruise and slept for most of the flights.

My suggestion, if you're going after the baby is born, wait until then to book the cruise and you can see what kind of baby you're dealing with. Then you can decide if you think it is a good idea or not.

We sailed with our son at 11 months and again at 23 months. Both times were a blast, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I could. However, we were on DCL which offers babysitting in a nursery, so that made a difference.

I absolutely would never give a gift to cabin neighbors. People of all ages make noise. Maybe the 21 year old beside us on the last cruise should have given me a candy bar so I'd be okay with him dropping F-bombs all night? Not so much. How about this: Assume that humans know babies cry, and that 99% of them don't think it's a big deal unless you choose to make it one. They might not notice or think anything of it unless you go out of your way to draw attention to it. So don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks!!!

Is it your 1st cruise you are looking at planning? If so I would certainly suggest doing the 1st without kids, so go as soon as you can afford to go and get a sea sick band because it may aggravate morning sickness. Once you have an idea about how to cruise and a few idea's about it then I would suggest taking kids but maybe ones who can walk and qualify to goto kids club so you get some time to yourself too.

Those are just my thoughts. My 1st cruise my son was 7 and even then he sleep walks and got lost in a tiny room trying to find the bathroom. Woke up in the middle of the night and he was not in bed, not in the bathroom, and so I peaked out of the room and there was something on the floor in the corner at the end of the hall. Grabbed my key card and encountered a crew member that asked me if this belonged to me, the little boy curled up in a ball with socks on his hands(no idea why he did that) and had wet himself not able to find the bathroom. I was so freaked though in the minutes before finding him... So off topic sorry, but I do suggest those door wedges that alarm if you try to open the door, that way you don't loose a kid. He had a blast at kids club though and the pirate walk through was great.... They have a blast with the other kids socializing

We started cruising with the kids when they were 2,2 and 9 months

First several were on Disney. At the time there was very limited infant-sitting . We didn't use it , but it was available.

I would cruise with babies again in a heartbeat, but do agree about waiting to book until you meet the little one. Mine were always easily entertained by something as simple as ice cubes in a coffee mug with a spoon or any one of their little toys. I have nephews that my brother wanted to sell as they had such severe colic. The would have been bad cruise tots.

Our cruise with baby vacations were amazing . We were fortunate to have 2 br suites for our cruises which made nap time much easier on all of us.

Have fun and happy anniversary!

Your much better waiting until your child is potty trained and can go to kids club then you will really get to enjoy your cruise. You can check them in for a few hours relax together than enjoy some family time.

Plenty of babies cruise. Plenty of moms and dads have great time cruising with their babies. But here is the thing babies do not understand that you want a lounge by the pool or beach, nice dinner or to see a show they want, what they want, when they want it. Be that nap, food, attention, play, quiet time. Vacationing with babies is home on the road.

Just a funny story we went to Hawaii then the kids where 5 and 3 for a wedding. It was my dream trip. We told them when we landed after 14 hours of flying that they totally behaved on (blew my mind) that there was "No Crying in Hawaii" . Every time they started we would say "No crying in Hawaii" they would stop. At the pool one day I stubbed my toe on a palm tree and broke my little toe. The tears started rolling down my face from pain and frustration as I put my foot in the cool water. My daughter came up to me rubbed my back and said "mommy there is no crying in Hawaii"

We still say it and the kids are 14 and 12. When someone whines we say "No crying in Hawaii" Might work on a ship when you have a child

If someone in the cabin next to me gave me a goodie bag as an apology for their child, I would absolutely dread being in a cabin next them. It's like saying, "Hey, my kid is going to make your life miserable, but here's some candy." :eek:

Ugh - seriously! I would be livid if I was stuck next to someone's screaming brat for an entire week. People don't think.