Colosseum Tickets in Rome

sunfan03

I need to make sure I understand visiting the Colosseum. Please let me know if I'm missing something or have wrong information.

We have a post-cruise visit to Rome for our group of 11 (7 adults, 4 kids - ages 3, 11, 13, 15)

I can buy online our entry tickets (Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill) for 7 full fare and 4 free - this includes a €2 online service fee/pp.

We'll be there in October, so tickets for an underground tour will not be available until Sept. 19?

One of the adults in our party uses a cane to walk...is there really an elevator she could take in lieu of walking the stairs?

Is an underground tour worth the extra effort? My DDs (ages 11, 13 and 15) appreciate history, so I'm debating if just my immediate family of 5 should do this or if we can skip it.

Was planning on using Rick Steves audio tour if we didn't do underground tour.

Also, can we print our entry tickets (and our underground tour tickets) at home or do they have to be picked up there? Any advice in what order to buy tickets in order to print at home?

Thanks for the help!

There is one elevator that goes from the ground floor to the first floor. The Underground tour is worth the small amount extra, however the person with mobility problems may struggle with some of the stairs. The Underground tour takes you out onto the floor of the arena ( which covers a little less than half of it), it takes you down to the floor of the arena. To get to the bottom one has to use stairs and the tour also takes you up to the third tier which has some steep steps to climb, but the views are worth it.

You can print all adult tickets at home but children's tickets must be picked up. Obviously to avoid adults using kids tickets. The kids will definitely enjoy the underground tour however the 3 yr old will probably be oblivious to it. When entering the Colisseum the preticket line and the ticket to purchase line become blurred until after security so choose the shortest line when entering.