Is booking specialty restaurants in advance advisable?

Stockjock

Doing a 4 day repositioning on the Sun soon. It returns to my hometown of San Diego, so it will be nice to only have to fly one way to Vancouver.

We got a balcony cabin and included is the UBP and Specialty Dining Package (3 nights).

Is the SDP good in any restaurant including the a la carte spots? Is it advisable to book in advance online? Anyone have any specific recommendations for the restaurants on the Sun?

Thank you in advance!

Your UDP or SDP is good in all a la carte restaurants. You get as many appetizers as you want, a single entree, as many deserts as you want.

If you want to eat at prime time, reservations are required. Prime time will sell out quickly. Teppanyaki is very popular and will totally sell out. Cagney's is popular and will sell out. On a short cruise, everyone wants to try the specailty restaurants, so there is even a higher demand.

Reservations open 90 days before cruise date (100 days for suites guests). If you have not pre-booked, then book as soon as you embark, otherwise you may not be able to use your UDP/SDP.

I did reserve restaurants and entertainment. Two big reasons. This way you can avoid overlap of events. If their is a schedule conflict of two events 1) you can have a better chance of reserving the restaurant and time u want.

, 2) it will not book you. The website will also take consideration how long a typical dinner will take so that u r not rushed if you schedule event for after dinner. The website has ding packages of 3 or 5 nights at reduce cost.

This info s based on Royal Caribbean cruise on harmony of the seas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just got off of the Escape and booked everything well ahead of time. Restaurants Reservations on the ship, you had to wait in line for at least an hour and were told most times between 530 and 730 p.m. were all taken, so you had to eat later. All a la carte restaurants are included in the plan.

I would book my MDR reservations before you board because all of the good times are gone when you get on the ship.

I love Cagney's Steak House, one of the better steaks I have had. Teppanyaki was good and the chefs put on a great show. I didn't like Modernos, the meat was tough and tasted like rubber. Le Bistro was good.

On my 11 day Epic cruise I booked all of my speciality restaurants online and in advance. Some of the times offered were not my first choice but once on board I was able to change them with no trouble. Book ahead!